Sony - the new Canon!

Andrew Reid

7 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Makes little sense to me. Its not like 4k 60p on a small sensor like this will take away from bigger sensor sales. 

The 4K standard is 50/60p not 30. UHD 25/30p is not a standard format. 24p is enough for cinema style. 

6 hours ago, Mokara said:

Your iPhone has a much better processor, that is why. The Sony processor is the same one they have been using the last 5 years. 

If it is the same processor. the video specs will be substantially the same. Not rocket science. Why do so many people have such a hard time understanding this basic concept?

They cant add dual pixel AF because Canon would sue them and win.

I don’t need internet professor  to understand it ?. 4K 50p 60p is around in many cameras not only on mobile phone.On the new Xperia 1 you find 4K 60p HLG. Probably they need better processor for camera department.  ARM processor have had an incredible and fast upgrade in the last years. Maybe is the little format factor of the camera joined with old kind of processor and related termic issue to not allow it ? (Anyway iPhone and Android phones works in 60p in a smaller format). 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
18 hours ago, mercer said:

Yeah, idk, I think they are all the same. The problem occurred in 2014 when they forced 4K on us a generation, or two, too soon so Sony and Panasonic could sell some 4K TVs. None of the companies had even perfected 1080p yet... and they still haven’t.

Andrew, with your skill set and talent, I really think it’s time you move onto a cinema camera. I doubt you’ll ever get all you really want from these hybrids. And with the size getting smaller, and the specs getting better, an EVA1, or whatever, would be a better choice.

With that said, I agree with this silly RX100 update. Waste of engineer’s time. 

4K tv's weren't introduced a generation too soon. That's crazy and no revisionist history says what you claim.

Think about it.

• 4K tv's gave us RED and other cine cameras. 
  • 27 in displays that weren't 1080p
  • Blueray content
  • Cutting the cord and movies and tv content is viewed ONLINE.  4K tv's is not the main way people watch content anymore. 

Please, please keep in mind that 4K is just 1080p on a larger screen. I'm not sure why you and the ones who liked you post don't understand 4K is just a larger version of 1080p. 

It was a natural progression from 1080p to 4k from consumer to professional.   

The same can't be said for 8K. Not enough demand and broadcast is not ready for it.

15 hours ago, Media Kat said:

What the hell more do you want them to add to it? instant upload to Instagram? This camera seems very feature packed and by features I do not mean gimmicks. So Far out of all the blogs and reviews this seems like the only negative one. Ergonomics is somewhat subjective, I like the feel of the line, but I also like the A7III.

Yes you are right. I'm going to sell my Z6 and gear and shoot my next tv commercial with this camera. Thanks Sony.

18 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I ain't a fan of this guy at all,  but a pretty good video on the camera. But in his preview he states it is unlimited and he used it for over an hour and it never stopped or overheated. Who knows for sure. All I know that is a heck of a lot longer than the older ones can go. If true that makes it a damn good 4K travel camera if you can afford it..

That camera is a glorified iPhone for video. Sony needed a smaller cheaper camera to promote it's EYE AF and get to market. You do know when you buy a Sony you're paying for hype and that cost you at least $300 more then it should.

16 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

It's the same on the front page of Google for most search queries.

The internet is going to be in crisis at this rate.

Trust already at an all-time low.

How long before people see through the hype and clickbait? Or are they all just too fucking stupid to notice or care...

The corporate shill machine is the direct result of company marketing strategies... BIG dollar spends shifting from traditional media (TV and print) to online... Namely social media and influencers. But the lack of backbone on behalf of the influencer takes it to a new level.

These people would go to the opening of a fucking envelope.

Why don't they be more picky FFS.

Andrew you are 100% spot on.  Finally someone is being honest about You Tube and big companies like Sony. On one hand people want to speak their mind and tell you to go to hell if you disagree or you give them a bad vibe. People are so defensive to the truth that it feeds the influencers because the general public doesn't trust each other.

Why? Because of the influencer. The minute Joe public watches a You Tube video is when they 100% believe the hype. Now hype is not all bad because that's how brands are built and it's enjoyable when done well and the right way. Hype is bad when it's lies and dishonest opinion about other brands. This can be seen with Sony and it's influencers and the direct public opinion about the Canon EOS-R and Nikon Z6 when they were released. Sony single handedly caused the decline of full frame mirrorless sales from the fall of 2018 until today. They caused Joe Public to wait, wait for what Sony was coming out with. 

Canon and Nikon are just now getting the word out that those two cameras are relevant and are an real option. They are also relevant because of what Sony has not done.

Marketing and hype is a great thing until they lie about other companies. 

14 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Ah, you finally are thinking about doing the Right thing lol.  ?

Nikon and it's Z6 started this whole 10bit 4K full frame stuff anyway. It's a great video camera in 2019 for what I do. 

I posted video from the Z6. I would love your take on it and how awful that Z6 footage is.

28 minutes ago, Skip77 said:

4K tv's weren't introduced a generation too soon. That's crazy and no revisionist history says what you claim.

Think about it.

• 4K tv's gave us RED and other cine cameras. 
  • 27 in displays that weren't 1080p
  • Blueray content
  • Cutting the cord and movies and tv content is viewed ONLINE.  4K tv's is not the main way people watch content anymore. 

Please, please keep in mind that 4K is just 1080p on a larger screen. I'm not sure why you and the ones who liked you post don't understand 4K is just a larger version of 1080p. 

It was a natural progression from 1080p to 4k from consumer to professional.   

The same can't be said for 8K. Not enough demand and broadcast is not ready for it.

Yes you are right. I'm going to sell my Z6 and gear and shoot my next tv commercial with this camera. Thanks Sony.

Reread my comment. I didn’t say that those companies released 4K TVs too soon, I said they released 4K video recording in their cameras too soon. Just my opinion. 

The frustrating thing about these releases is my YouTube main page being inundated with these shills all posting at the same time their "reviews." Even the more thoughtful, non-shill reviewers rush to get their video out instead of putting together a more thoughtful, comprehensive video because everyone has gotta get those hits! It's why I like someone like Three Blind Men and an Elephant. Even when I don't agree with him, his videos are very thoughtful and thorough. They also aren't rushed. He was at the reveal event, and gave some of his first thoughts in videos he posted, but he just released his more thorough video today, and whether I agree with him or not I'm sure it'll be more insightful than most of the videos that came out immediately. 

Well like it or not Sony has pretty much everyone, even Canon, by the short hairs because the vast majority of them use a Sony Sensor. Sony is Always going to know what the other company's are up to ahead of any release. And they are going to in the long run hold on to the best sensors for themselves.

But yeah it has been unlike Sony in the past to be dragging their feet as time goes on. I guess there is a Lot of pressure to not cut into the Cine, Broadcast market. And you know and I know Sony, even Canon, Panasonic could make a 3000 Dollar Cine camera that would knock your socks off. But they are trying to figure out how to go forward and not commit suicide.

But these cameras are going to Have to get bigger or heat will limit what you can do. The Panny S1 proves that. And the S1H REALLY proves that, same with the PK4.

3 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Well like it or not Sony has pretty much everyone, even Canon, by the short hairs because the vast majority of them use a Sony Sensor. Sony is Always going to know what the other company's are up to ahead of any release. And they are going to in the long run hold on to the best sensors for themselves.

But yeah it has been unlike Sony in the past to be dragging their feet as time goes on. I guess there is a Lot of pressure to not cut into the Cine, Broadcast market. And you know and I know Sony, even Canon, Panasonic could make a 3000 Dollar Cine camera that would knock your socks off. But they are trying to figure out how to go forward and not commit suicide.

But these cameras are going to Have to get bigger or heat will limit what you can do. The Panny S1 proves that. And the S1H REALLY proves that.

True though most of these companies could be using the Sony sensors to their max potential. Really only Z cam is sort of fully utilizing them and sort of Black magic. 

Nikon Has to stand out or they are dead. They have no choice. They put themselves in a box years ago. A lot of goof ups. It's their first effort. But the next camera they come out with better be unbelievable or wow they may be done. Somebody is going to bite the dust in this crowed FF market.

25 minutes ago, mercer said:

Reread my comment. I didn’t say that those companies released 4K TVs too soon, I said they released 4K video recording in their cameras too soon. Just my opinion. 

It was all connected. TV's, cameras and all in 4K. Even across to You Tube. It benefited everyone.

This wedding season I've seen quite a few Nikons, enough for me to feel like they're doing okay. Their users are very loyal, more so than Canon I think. I've seen more Nikon Z's than EOS R's too, though Canon overall still dominates. It's an informal poll based on my experiences, but the doom and gloom seems to be a bit over exaggerated. 

I've seen very few Sony's and no Panasonic full frame offerings. 

3 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Nikon Has to stand out or they are dead. They have no choice. They put themselves in a box years ago. A lot of goof ups. It's their first effort. But the next camera they come out with better be unbelievable or wow they may be done. Somebody is going to bite the dust in this crowed FF market.

It is a weird full frame mirrorless market. 

Up until the fall of 2018 Sony was the only one in this group.

You're right on Nikon bringing the goods on the next Z camera. I think with the Z8 or Z9 along with the D6, Nikon will above the rest for part of 2020. At least from quality of product released in the market. 

Nikon and Panasonic seem to be the only companies willing to give value and quality without holding back on specs.

1 minute ago, newfoundmass said:

This wedding season I've seen quite a few Nikons, enough for me to feel like they're doing okay. Their users are very loyal, more so than Canon I think. I've seen more Nikon Z's than EOS R's too, though Canon overall still dominates. It's an informal poll based on my experiences, but the doom and gloom seems to be a bit over exaggerated. 

I've seen very few Sony's and no Panasonic full frame offerings. 

I think the Nikon Z line has gained sales since January and not lost them.  That's not usually how it works but Nikon improved the AF and people started looking past the wickedly dishonest You Tube reviews. 

1 hour ago, Skip77 said:

um, this is intended to be a pocketable camera. By me saying what else should they have added to it, I'm very curious as to what more everyone is expecting from one of these cameras? Body redesign after several iterations would be nice? is it Necessary, that is subjective. A larger sensor with better low light performance? Is that even possible? Seriously, it is an expensive pocketable camera that seems to be marketed toward people that want better quality than an iPhone but don't want a full size camera.Is it a revolutionary update, probably not? Do you need to buy it, no. If you wait till next year will they add more features, yes. It seems choices are a good thing. Instead of waiting a typical upgrade cycle for new features, they seem to be releasing every year. What is wrong with that? Are there other competing camera on the market in this category offering more features that Sony is withholding?

27 minutes ago, Media Kat said:

um, this is intended to be a pocketable camera. By me saying what else should they have added to it, I'm very curious as to what more everyone is expecting from one of these cameras? Body redesign after several iterations would be nice? is it Necessary, that is subjective. A larger sensor with better low light performance? Is that even possible? Seriously, it is an expensive pocketable camera that seems to be marketed toward people that want better quality than an iPhone but don't want a full size camera.Is it a revolutionary update, probably not? Do you need to buy it, no. If you wait till next year will they add more features, yes. It seems choices are a good thing. Instead of waiting a typical upgrade cycle for new features, they seem to be releasing every year. What is wrong with that? Are there other competing camera on the market in this category offering more features that Sony is withholding?

It's the other models Sony hasn't updated that is the biggest let down.  Even this camera could have had more on the video side. 

36 minutes ago, Skip77 said:

It's the other models Sony hasn't updated that is the biggest let down.  Even this camera could have had more on the video side. 

Honest question, what more in this sized body could they offer on the video side? Higher bitrate?