FINALLY!! A Sony RX100 with a mic jack! (& flip up screen)

IronFilm

13 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Sony is the new Canon.

The cynic in me thinks Sony was just pushing specs hard to get itself established, that they were looking to the long term, where they are now going to sit back and reap in the profits from their past R&D without reinvesting too much back in while they switch over to cruise mode

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The problem I see is there's no other compact with mic-in jack, 4k, eye focus and a 180º screen. Sony can sit back which is bad for us. I also think like @IronFilm . They established as the best and can now react to whatever appears in the market. 

Canon can't do 4k and phase detection and Panasonic has a m43 LX100 II but didn't change anything significant from the previous one.

We can complain for more features but then they'll tell us to buy something else if we can find anything enticing.

16 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

And I realize this, in a about a month I'm switching to a CX350 for my video body. Panasonic is king of the hill arm for video.

I know when to jump ship, I did the same when I moved from Canon to Sony. 

Nearly four grand for a small chip camcorder, guessing you're earning a healthy amount from your sports filming?

• Administrators
4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

The cynic in me thinks Sony was just pushing specs hard to get itself established, that they were looking to the long term, where they are now going to sit back and reap in the profits from their past R&D without reinvesting too much back in while they switch over to cruise mode

Yes it looks that way.

In the end, it isn't even about specs, but how the technology is applied in products.

The products are lame. Great specs but lame.

Lame to use. Unenjoyable almost.

Canon went on a big technological push as well once - with CMOS lead DSLR revolution between 2004-2010. Then sat back.

So there is definitely a precedent for the strategy.

15 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

One other thought - RIP the Nikon DL 18-50 - the greatest compact zoom never made. I was really excited about that one and it would have been an immediate buy, as sometimes when walking around 24mm just isn't wide enough. My walk around lens is usually a UWA zoom like the 16-35 or 10-18 on crop. 

I agree, is really sad it never shipped! An 18mm FF equivalent FoV in a pocketable camera would have been EPIC!

40 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Nearly four grand for a small chip camcorder, guessing you're earning a healthy amount from your sports filming?

I do pretty well, once you try a smaller chip camcorder for event its so hard to switch back. It just makes everything so easy. The CX350 is cheaper than than the XF705 and the Sony z280 doesn't do 120fps. So its really my only option atm. 

20 hours ago, Mokara said:

You buy these cameras because they can fit in your pocket, something that cameras like the XT3 and a6400 are completely incapable of doing. 

There is some irony about people complaining about lack of 60p in 4K while on the other hand also complaining when cameras don't include a 24p mode ;)

Keep in mind that a lot of the older 4K panels out there can't decode 4k60p anyway, they need an external device to decode and input an HDMI signal from that.

I don't carry anything in my pocket, its on a wrist strap or a backpack. For me there's no difference in the a6400 and the RX, the value proposition if a $1200 small sensor, fixed lens camera just isn't there for me. But ILC users aren't the target of a $1200 fixed lens camera either. These seem to be selling well, so Sony (and Canon) will keep cranking them out.

Cheers
Chris

10 hours ago, IronFilm said:

+1

Warmed over refreshes like the a7r3 and a6400 show they're squeezing everything out of each sensor before pushing any advancements. Fuji has been running the newer 26mp sensor for almost a year now and still nothing from Sony.

16 hours ago, Ivko Pivko said:

Canon can't do 4k and phase detection and Panasonic has a m43 LX100 II but didn't change anything significant from the previous one.

Yeah wasn't the update to the LX100 mk2 even more lame than the latest RX100 update?

16 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Canon went on a big technological push as well once - with CMOS lead DSLR revolution between 2004-2010. Then sat back.

So there is definitely a precedent for the strategy.

And just look at how that went for Canon, made them  #1!

I guess doing a massive tech push at just the right time could be the way to do it, then cruise along later on to reap the rewards. 

Time will tell if Sony timed it right to grab #1 spot in the new mirrorless era like Canon did for the DSLR era. 

4 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

New sensor. Kind of a big deal with stills cameras ;)

ah, how did I miss that, 12MP to 17MP

On 7/26/2019 at 6:16 AM, IronFilm said:

Sensor size really isn't important for most event / sport shooting. If I could afford a second set of cameras to use for sports I'd go the same route. I love my GH5 and G85, and they get the job done, but they're not the ideal solution for sports shooting. But they handle everything I throw at them, from weddings to corporate to sports. 

9 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Yeah wasn't the update to the LX100 mk2 even more lame than the latest RX100 update?

From a feature standpoint, yeah. It was an incremental update for a 4 year old camera, which is kinda ridiculous. I was ready to give them my money and then... "nope." 

Give me a pocket camera that I can carry at all times, or put in places that are too small for a regular camera, that has comparable IQ and colors to my regular cameras, isn't ridiculously expensive and TAKE MY MONEY! 

• Super Members
28 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

Give me a pocket camera that I can carry at all times, or put in places that are too small for a regular camera, that has comparable IQ and colors to my regular cameras, isn't ridiculously expensive and TAKE MY MONEY! 

If you are looking for a (much) cheaper option to the RX100 that can match the colour profiles of your other Panasonic cameras then the LX10/15 (unlike the LX100) can use the Cinelike D hack made by that Focus Device Prototype Guy™.

Its f1.4 on the wide end as well so its faster than even the Mark V.

Still the same no microphone input bullshit though.

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

If you are looking for a (much) cheaper option to the RX100 that can match the colour profiles of your other Panasonic cameras then the LX10/15 (unlike the LX100) can use the Cinelike D hack made by that Focus Device Prototype Guy™.

Its f1.4 on the wide end as well so its faster than even the Mark V.

Still the same no microphone input bullshit though.

I've noticed, on the used market, a lot of these have dust behind the lens. Is that an issue with that camera in general? 

• Super Members
9 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

I've noticed, on the used market, a lot of these have dust behind the lens. Is that an issue with that camera in general? 

I've had no issue with mine but I haven't with my LX100 either which for a lot of people was a big dust magnet as well.

Might be a chance to pick up one for even cheaper then and then use this "easy" guide to removing the dust from one ;)

Can't help thinking he should have done a mic input mod while he was in there !

9 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

It will happen eventually to most fixed lens cameras with a zoom function.

It is probably more prevalent with these small cameras because they are actually put in pockets, where picking up lint/dust is more likely.