Is the Canon 90D around the corner?

Kisaha

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Much as the rumoured specs would be awesome, I have trouble believing that Canon would put out a 90D that's superior to the 5Div in video, and probably even photography as well. I'm also not sure why they'd move to on-sensor phase-detect AF considering all the time and effort they've put into DPAF over the last few years.

Not sure what they will do. But highly doubt the 90D will be a mirrorless EF mount camera. That would effectively hurt their R mount platform and lenses.

Another rumour is that this 90D will replace the 7D2 and 80D, have dual sd card, clean HDMI and 4k cropless recording. Kind of feels to good to be true for the 80D price point. Would indeed hurt their full frame as the new sensor and specs would be better than the much more expensive 5D4.

At some point Canon has to be competitive, X-T3/30 and a6400/500 are a lot better than anything Canon has to offer right now and m43 is a lot better in video and competitive in stills, while FF mirrorless are getting cheaper and cheaper..

It is hard to believe some of these rumors though..sound more like wishful thinking than real world possibilities, but on the other hand, I believe they exhausted on sales the abilities of their hardware. Now they need to compete in every segment they can.

I understand that the manufacturers consider the sensor size as an indication for pricing/performance.

A FF camera will be always priced more and considered better than an APS-C one. Depending the additional features of course, or the lack of them.

1 minute ago, Kisaha said:

At some point Canon has to be competitive, X-T3/30 and a6400/500 are a lot better than anything Canon has to offer right now and m43 is a lot better in video and competitive in stills, while FF mirrorless are getting cheaper and cheaper..

It is hard to believe some of these rumors though..sound more like wishful thinking than real world possibilities, but on the other hand, I believe they exhausted on sales the abilities of their hardware. Now they need to compete in every segment they can.

Not sure about that, we are talking about Canon here. The 80D did sell very well and was released with only soft 1080p when all the rest had already 4k. Release this 90D with slight MP bump, 4k and dpaf and it will sell. Everyone who went to Sony or Panasonic for more advanced and better video will now not sell everything to go back to Canon. They lost those customers.

1 hour ago, David Bowgett said:

Much as the rumoured specs would be awesome, I have trouble believing that Canon would put out a 90D that's superior to the 5Div in video, and probably even photography as well. I'm also not sure why they'd move to on-sensor phase-detect AF considering all the time and effort they've put into DPAF over the last few years.

Dual pixel is on-sensor phase detect AF.

2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

At some point Canon has to be competitive...

Haha... another hopeful...

The enthusiast crowd are very vocal, but Canon knows that its all talk and no walk...

Their bread and butter are consumers... and who do the Consumers follow??? The pros...

Even if the enthusiasts were able to sway the pros or the general publics opinion, then you get some crippled version of what what we really want.... only 4K/24p with 1.5 crop.... no 1080/24p.... no 1080/120.... so and so forth. Just look at the RP as an example... its not going to be better than that...

Truth. For them it's like taking candy from a baby. Why make the effort, when you can sit back and still watch the money come in. Though you'd think at some point we've hit the point of no return, when they seriously miscalculated their luck and it finally runs out and are surpassed from all sides by the competition with people now jumping over to the latest greatest shiny toy to never look back.

Though, admittedly I'm getting my first Canon in years with the PowerShot G7 X Mark III. Sure, in true Canon fashion it lacks 24p, rather than Canon's own benchmark DPAF it has quite shoddy contrast based C-AF, does have a mic-in, but nowhere to place an external mic for instance... but Sony doesn't exactly come through with their RX100-series either and the latest Panasonic LX100 iteration was a laughable update. The thing seems killer for social media content creation, maybe not the best thing for actual video production and cinematography, but then again it's a compact cam for crying out loud. Canon is pretty much the epidemy of 'point-n-shoot'. And we live in a world where videos shot on shaky potatoes go viral, so, picture quality really isn't the end all when you've got the right content. It's more about going the shortest distance from hitting the record button to the upload one (saves you time endlessly pixel peeping/grading/managing storage etc too) and that's where they're winning the crowd over. They're the no0b's choice.

But I have no interest whatsoever in their EOS-M or EOS-R line-ups. For actual video production and cinematography I'd still pick up a feature-rich Panasonic.

I think they will still release a 7D III with everything unlocked (clean hdmi, dual sd, uncroped 4k, joystick) without flippy screen and a 90D after that with single sd card, flippy screen and some limitations on the video features (compared to 7d III). Would not make sense to release a 90D with all 7D III features for a 90D price point.

21 hours ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

Another rumour is that this 90D will replace the 7D2 and 80D, have dual sd card, clean HDMI and 4k cropless recording. Kind of feels to good to be true for the 80D price point. Would indeed hurt their full frame as the new sensor and specs would be better than the much more expensive 5D4.

I do agree that "kinda of feels too good to be true" (ESPECIALLY from Canon! They're not going to give away the farm). 

However, the state of the industry means they need to start consolidating their DSLR range and one option could be by merging the 7D2 and 80D series together with a higher priced 90D that sits in the middle between those two lines. 

I expect Nikon to do the same. For instance we saw the D7500 move a bit down market from the D7x00 series in the past, by losing a card slot. The next D7600 might carry on this trend in the D7x00 series, it will remain as Nikon's budget priced semi pro DSLR DX camera, but will be positioned such that Nikon can abolish the D5x00 series? With the D500 above (with a very slow refresh rate in bringing out a D550 update in say 2022) and the cheapie D3x00 entry point below it. 

Although this is just one option of how Nikon might restructure it. (they'll restructure their FX range as well, the D760 will replace the both the D750 & D610 sometime in the next 18  months. And all of the FX range will see a slower and slower refresh rate of updating to newer models)