EXCLUSIVE: Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K gets Time of Flight Autofocus with Prototype add-on

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Much appreciated.

Please buy it ;)

I've run out of gaffer tape making this one so that integration will have to wait for a while.

Damn, I just bought a GRIII, I might have to return and repurchase a BMPCC4K now after seeing this.

• Super Members
9 hours ago, Brian Williams said:

Damn, I just bought a GRIII, I might have to return and repurchase a BMPCC4K now after seeing this.

I was talking to a local photographer who also flips cameras as much as I do (we meat every time one buys something of the other). We remenissed about cameras we had used, sold, loved and hated.

But we both agreed on one thing, no matter what you buy or sell, you always keep a GR in your kit.

It's the only thing that's constant.

4 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

I was talking to a local photographer who also flips cameras as much as I do (we meat every time one buys something of the other). We remenissed about cameras we had used, sold, loved and hated.

But we both agreed on one thing, no matter what you buy or sell, you always keep a GR in your kit.

It's the only thing that's constant.

Yeah, I did sit down last night to ‘develop’ some of the raw files from the camera for the first time, in Lightroom, and found myself a little blown away by how good they looking, I may have to keep it and figure out a different route to the bmpcc 4K.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Brian Williams said:

Yeah, I did sit down last night to ‘develop’ some of the raw files from the camera for the first time, in Lightroom, and found myself a little blown away by how good they looking, I may have to keep it and figure out a different route to the bmpcc 4K.

I always return to it and am equally blown away every time.

The BMPCC4K however is a tricky one. I'm on my second and already have it up for sale. But every day I contemplate taking it down and keeping it.

11 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

I always return to it and am equally blown away every time.

The BMPCC4K however is a tricky one. I'm on my second and already have it up for sale. But every day I contemplate taking it down and keeping it.

I understand, I’ve gone through one myself already (having also owned the original, before it could even shoot raw, and hanging onto that one for several years) but getting the 4K version, by the time I got it I felt like maybe that ship had already passed, as it actually just made me appreciate the IQ of my X-T3 even more, as it didn’t blow the Fuji out of the water as I was expecting. I may just sit back and watch how this all plays out before recommitting to one.

So will it arrive before GH6? ?

The idea is great and I love the ability to store multiple focus pooints with various speed transitions. But the focus should work smoothly, otherwise it is not very usefull for me personally.

I think you can gather even more customers with a Panasonic version, specially if it'll work on multiple cameras, like good old G85 or GX85.

While I certainly wish them success, and while LIDAR is proven technology (that even my smartphone has), the reason why this isn't used by major camera makers is probably because of its open loop nature and the calibration required, much like you have to keep both the lens and the camera in calibration for a classic rangefinder. If we had so many accuracy issues with still photography with DSLRs why would we expect any non-TTL, non-sensor based, open-looped technology to not suffer from the same.

• Super Members

Another quick and dirty demo just so you know that I'm not sat on my arse not getting on with it.

This is brought to you via the medium of a family pack of Golden Wonder crisps and a microwave to illustrate fast snap between points and also continuous refocus as the king of low cost potato snacks approaches and retreats.

It is using an Olympus 17mm f1.8 lens wide open.

There is no ramping set but as with the 3C app this will be an adjustable parameter.

NB. I was not preparing to put the Leica and those pickles in the microwave.