Good vintage wide lens for use with iscorama 36

Lucian

Hi Guys,

I'm shooting with russian primes (helios 58mm, mir24n 35mm, tair 85 etc) I'm looking for something

wider than 35mm that will stay consistent with this aesthetic.

My gh2 will vignette using the isco at any wider than 25mm, so that is around what i'm looking for.

Any suggestions? I'm current looking at the MIR10a (28mm), downsides are its star bokeh looks 

a bit odd and its f3.5.

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have a couple of russian primes as well and added for wider shots a very (very!) cheap Pentacon 29mm f2.8 (Meyer-Goerlitz)

Of course this is not 25mm but the widest that comes to my mind and fits with its character: Soft wide open. Nice color and low contrast. 

Downside for the flare-addict: I think they are always multi-coated. 

Regarding russian primes this is a quite interesting read: http://taunusreiter.de/Cameras/Zeiss_Fakes.html

I am curious for other suggestions :)

Yes, I usually find f/2 plenty enough myself!

A few notes:

The Pre-AI/non-AI lenses works as-is with adapters on m4/3 cameras. For Nikon DSLR's you need to modify them, otherwise a piece of protruding metal can destroy the lenst mount on camera.

The AI/AI-S lenses work as-is on any F-mount camera or adapter (no metering on lower-end Nikons, but that really doesn't matter when filming).

I've been considering quite a few of these old Nikkors as well, but so far I've been happy enough with the 16-35mm f/4G VR lens. The 28mm f/2.8 in particular is interesting, since it is one of the sharpest wide-angle Nikkors ever.

Great suggestions, thanks guys. I might look at a Nikon or the Mir10A. 

I have heard bad things about using the nikons on m42/43 mount such as not being able to focus infinite

despite the claims of all the adapters. Has any had experience using them on the GH2?

Cheers

Will the Nikon 28mm fit regarding aesthetics? I think that is - besides quality - the question. I have a range of Canon FD as I read they tend to have warmer color and are easy to declick. But I don't like to mix them with the russian lenses. The Mir 10a looks also interesting.

Yep Mir-10a looks good, the only thing that put me off was the f3.5 - i've got another lens that's f3.5 & i find it can be awkward sometimes to get critical focus with my Iscorama.

I've stopped worrying and just mix & match taking lenses, using the right lens for the shot I want to get - no ones going to really notice & a bit of colour shift can be easily corrected in post.

I'm hesitating about whether to go all out with Nikon Ai-s lenses, as i was so impressed with the 28mm f2.8 - the thing appears to be faster (brighter) than other f2.8s i have.

I'm hesitating about whether to go all out with Nikon Ai-s lenses, as i was so impressed with the 28mm f2.8 - the thing appears to be faster (brighter) than other f2.8s i have.

If you consider to get more Nikkors, I can highly recommend the AI-S 85mm f/2 as well, both as-is and paired with an Iscorama.

Tough decision, no doubt the nikkors are superior lenses, but I am concerned about matching

it with my russian glass

As Bioskip said though, the f 3.5 of the MIR10 might be dicey with an iscorama, 

How is the aesthetic of the Nikkors? bdo they have the soft vintage feel of lenses like helios and mir24?

Thanks!

I'd suggest any decent 35mm f2.8 with the intention of using a speed booster.  The older rollei/zeiss Distagon 35mm's are a nice match for the iscorama 36 on aps-c, so should give the same fov and lack of vignetting when on the m4/3 sensor and a speed booster.  otherwise without a speed booster the incredible 25mm distagon is a good call.    

Sorry, didnt read your post properly..  

maybe try the olympus 28mm f2?  its not the sharpest at f2, but its not all about sharpness is it:)  

Thanks for the input rich. indeed I'm not all about sharpness, quite like the creamy russians. I have a 35mm already and correct me if I'm wrong but the isco can get down to 25mm without vignetting on m/43rd right?

The distagon or olympus might be worth a look though thanks!

Don't want to invest in a speedbooster just yet as I'm still hanging onto the GH2 and will probably make the jump to a new cam

in the not to distant future ( likely digital bolex or bmpcc).

Cheers!

I am pretty sure the Isco will vignette at 25mm - at least with the Voigt 25mm. 

Check out Andrew's review of the Oly OM-D (smaller sensor as the GH2 - doesn't vignette): http://www.eoshd.com/content/8565/olympus-om-d-e-m5-review

Regarding the aesthetics - I went through the same "problem". Tried this and that. Spent a lot on lenses and sold them again.

Now I have a set of CanonFDn and the above mentioned "Russians". The Pentacon 29mm cost me €12,- and plays quite nice with them.

I also tried Zeiss-Contax and I think Canon FD are better - color and sharpness. The Zeiss for Rollei (made in W.Germany is signifcantly better then the Contax lenses). Anyway sold them all. Haven't tried Nikon so far as I am more into film now (the CineNikkor for the R10 is said to be great!).

When I have some spare time. I'll try to make some examples an upload.