GH5 or GH5s + Crane 2?!

ktn

Hello,

I'm having a really hard time deciding on which camera to buy: GH5 or GH5s.

First I leaned towards the GH5, then I discovered the GH5s.

Purpose: Would be using the camera for filming commercials, travel videos etc.

The main thing I'm worried about is not having the in-body camera stabilization. As I am planning to use viltrox speedbooster with Canon EF lens and probably not the pana lens (with stabilization).
I am planning to use the combination of gimbal (Crane 2) and GH5/GH5s anyway. But as I started watching videos about people using GH5s with the Crane 2. I can see that there is micro juddering in many of the videos that are up on the youtube page. So my guessing would be that the gimbal doesn't remove all the juddering from the GH5s?! where as the GH5+Crane2 combination looks very smooth. Without having to stabilize it in the post-production.

I have asked this question from many youtubers, that use the GH5s with the Crane 2. Only few have responded at the moment. They say that the Crane 2 does a good job stabilizing this camera. But then again I can see the judders in their footage. How am I the only one that notices it?!

Some people have suggested me to buy the Ronin S, as it's supposed to be smoother. But to my understanding there is somekind of a bug, that has been there for at least a year now. When you want to connect external monitor and the gimbal to the GH5/GH5s. Then you can't control the camera anymore via the gimbal buttons.

source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2a59ABz4zc

All suggestions are welcomed,

Chris M

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I've mostly used the Moza Air with the GH5 and G85, so I can't really help you too much other than to say that micro jitters aren't uncommon when using lower end gimbals with non stabilized bodies / lenses. You can do things to try and minimize it (Ninja walk!) but a lot of times they'll still show up. 

What percentage of your work will be commercial and what will be travel? I think for travel I'd lean towards the GH5 because of the IBIS. Personally I rarely use my gimbal because the combination of IBIS and stabilized lenses gives me such a nice, natural handheld look. I also appreciate being able to shoot with such a stripped down set up. I can literally just shoot with the camera, no rig or stabilization, and get great results. The IBIS also works great with adapted lenses! 

For more planned / studio shoots the GH5s is really great, too. It has better color, better low light, and better image quality. 

I don't know if this helps at all!

Yeah most people end up using warp stabilizer with gimbal footage. 

My Ronin M works pretty darn well, but I still use warp stabilizer if I want it completely smooth. If I shoot super wide like 17mm full frame its not an issue though. 

Had tons of jitter issues on my beholder S1. The Crane 2 seems a lot better of a one handed gimbal but its probably not perfect. 

So in conclusion if you want super smooth footage shoot super wide, like 12mm. or use a stabilized lens or stabilize in post 

IBIS of course will pretty much solve that problem though