2x Schneider/Isco or Kowa Prominar

milandirector

Hi all,

I m just starting out with anamorphic shooting. I have got Andrew's guide, but I m still little confused. I have found these two lenses on ebay - 2x Schneider Iscorama and Kowa Prominar and would like to get opinion which one should I get, and if anyone has experience with either of the lenses, could you let me know what lenses I could use with these and from what focal lenghts. I would use them with BMPCC and BMCC.

Thanks.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

NO SUCH THING AS A SCHNEIDER ISCORAMA.

RULE 1

DO NOT BELIEVE THE SHIT YOU READ ON FLEABAY

PEOPLE ARE DIRTY LIARS

UNLESS YOUR DUMB IN A HURRY AND RICH TAKE IT SLOW, ASK THE CLOWN SELLERS IF THEY HAVE SHOT OR TESTED THE LENS.

REAL ISCORAMA COST OVER 3000 DOLLARS ASK THE LIARS IF IT IS A REAL ISCORAMA

DO NOT BUY SOMETHING BASED ON A VIDEO THAT IS PRETTY DUMB.

PUT UP LINKS IF YOU WANT SPECIFIC INFO ON SPECIFIC LENS

no dis respect just find a small sankor anything with the numbers 16 in it.

or a kowa why not buy something that you can hold in the palm of you hand...

why buy from a liar anyone that puts iscorama in the title like that guy should be hunted down and forced to eat his 3kg lens.

if you want to buy these massive pieces of metal and glass use an auction rather than a buy it now.

those links are a joke sorry 150 dollar optics at best much of this glass has been dumped from multiplex cinemas going from film to digital some taken out of dustbins.

not saying it is not usable but cameras are getting smaller.

you will not look more pro with rigged up set up like that you look like a wanker.

send the iscorama guy an email say you are interested in buying 3 set up's tell him you are doing a skate board project and you love his items ask him has he got any examples of motorbike speedboat or skateboard footage using his not real iscorama

What Tony said.

These lenses are massive! A Sankor 16-C or Kowa 8Z would be a much better bet. The world of anamorphic projector lenses is a bit of a mine field. As well as being really heavy, you may find that a lot of the bigger lenses can't focus up close.

Get a Sankor, (you may well pick up a bargain at the minute), get a Redstan clamp for it, and you are good to go. These lenses allow close focus (mine will focus as close as 5 feet) and you won't need to be built like Arne to carry it around.

I think it is way too much for this type of lens, but it depends on you. These Sankor are good with 85mm on Full-frame camera, and usually with a 58mm Helios on an APS-C sensor. Mind you that this is a dual focus anamorphic adapter, like most other projection anamorphics. So you will have to focus with the taking lens and the anamorphic lens too. People get great images from these type of sankors (16c, 16f)

Ask the seller about the lens clamp, what filter size does it have. You need it to mount on your lens.

There is a Sankor for raughly $580 : http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Sankor-16c-Anamorphic-Beautiful-Condition-Very-Rare-Good-Condition-/171137260413?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item27d8935b7d

Is this a good one to get? Again what focal lenghts lenses I could use with it? Thanks in advance..

I would agree with Gabor, it is a bit over priced. I paid £220 for mine and it was in mint condition. The clamp doesn't look great, especially considering the guy wants an extra $40 for it. He seems to be trying to get top dollar for this lens, I would keep my eye out for an auction, that's where you will get a bargain.

I've had a couple of these that are probably very similar or identical optics wise. As already stated, they are heavy, and you will need a rail system. On the other hand, the image is consistently sharp at fast apertures even f/1.2. Again I don't know about these but the ones I've had didn't flare at all. I've used and tested several low/medium priced anamorphic, and there's really nothing perfect out there so it really all comes down to what trade-off you're most comfortable with. They're either unusable below f/4, heavy, aberration on the edges, require dual focusing, need constant diopter babysitting, or more.

If this is your price range and you are concerned about weight, I would check out or contact the maker of the Apefoscope. I have one and it's nice and light for the money, and usable at around f/2 or so. Some pictures (not mine):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjones41/sets/72157632592370798/