Open letter to Japanese manufacturers on the enthusiast video market - improve or lose it

Andrew Reid

And for those skeptical about Canon introducing high end features on cheaper cameras, like 60fps, remember that the C100 has a really nice ND system, which the C300 doesn't, the same way the 7D had 60fps 720p and the 5D2 didn't... basically, it all means nothing, we'll see...

Both cameras have a built in ND system. The c300s is quite nice

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Isn't Cinema EOS a bit off topic? We're talking about the enthusiast video market.

I think Mr Harding hit the nail on the head - Canon are more interested in the billion dollar consumer market and billion dollar pro market than they are in the million dollar enthusiast video market.

They will just have to watch as Blackmagic come up through the million dollar enthusiast video market to take over both the consumer and pro market then with keener pricing and more compelling products, haha.

They will just have to watch as Blackmagic come up through the million dollar enthusiast video market to take over both the consumer and pro market then with keener pricing and more compelling products, haha.

Compare the sizes of both companies. Compare both companies' R&D departments and resources. The moment Canon wants Blackmagic Design's niche market, they will have it, but you're right, they're more interested in the billion dollar consumer market, go figure!

And remember how everyone laughed at Canon and how ridiculous the C300 was on paper when they released it. It was considered a massive defeat for Canon compared to the Scarlet that came out on the same day. Turns out the C300 was a well thought out camera that took the broadcast market by storm and is now most people's choice in broadcast alongside with the Alexa (which also conquered this market due to one little detail called prores). The Scarlet on the other hand, which original model they never figured out how to make, turned out to be a crippled Epic, and is still seen as the poor man's RED, without much effect in the industry.

And for those skeptical about Canon introducing high end features on cheaper cameras, like 60fps, remember that the C100 has a really nice ND system, which the C300 doesn't, the same way the 7D had 60fps 720p and the 5D2 didn't... basically, it all means nothing, we'll see...

Nonsense! Of course the C300 has an ND filters built in.

Canon won't have Blackmagic's niche market until they have software as good as Resolve, and software designers capable of making it.

In the software world the Japanese are actually way off the cutting edge.

It was only four years ago that Blackmagic bought DaVinci Resolve because they were going out of business.

That's interesting.... I wonder too.

I think It will be some of their high-end broadcast rack-mount units and so on.

Here's the full lineup: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/products

I spent some time sat a sound magazine reporting from AV shows, and a huge chunk of stuff at the Blackmagic stands (around the third biggest in some of the shows) was for live and studio broadcast. The US and international broadcast market is enormous and lucrative, and their gear provides great features at competitive prices, much like the cameras do.

They are well-liked internationally, a company full of great people (when I traveled the shows I always really looked forward to going to see their stand) and produce innovative products, and I don't doubt they'll get there with the cameras. It's a brave move and we all have our own opinions on what could be done better... but that's hindsight. It's great that they've done it!

I just hope they're engaged with their market in terms of feedback, there's a lot to be gained and lost here for them as the years roll on.

As it is they still have plenty of new 4K broadcast gear knocking around which will take off as sports start to be shot in Ultra HD or whatever they're calling it in the high street!