Nikon D5200 or Lumix G6 for all-around camera?

Janiha

Greetings,

I am having hard time, trying to decide which camera I should buy.
Basically I would have two options,either the D5200 or G6.
I shoot photos, as well as video, in various weather conditions,in daylight and darkness.

I do not give a rat's behind about wifi,nfc or other unnecessary stuff. I need a camera with solid performance..
Would prefer to use my Nikkor AF-S 35/1.8G glass too, as it is one of the best glasses for cinema-like videos.
Clean HDMI would be nice but I assume that the G6 can't deliver such, am I correct?

Nikon delivers in photography but is it anywhere near the Lumix stuff?
Is it possible to use the Nikkor 35 glass together with G6 without compromising on quality?

Thanks.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'll take the D5200 over the G6.

Pluses of the D5200 over G6:

-24mpx.

-Clean HDMI output also a very efficent internal codec.

-A better high ISO performace.

-Better IQ

-A little better body construction.

Pluses of the G6 over D5200:

-Live histogram.

-Focus Peaking.

-Lens adaptability.

My two cents.

Note that the Nikon G-lenses lack aperture rings, and any adapter you use with such a lens needs to include support for changing aperture. 

These Fotodiox adapters support Nikon G-lenses for m4/3: http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adapter-Olympus-Panasonic-Cameras/dp/B003Y2XN9G

Also note that the 35mm f/1.8 will become more towards a tele / portrait lens field of view on m4/3, while it is a normal lens on D5200 with APS-C-size sensor. It will equal a 65mm lens (compared to field of view on a full frame) on GH6, while on D5200 it will equal a 52.5mm.

One heads-up about D5200 - it seems like the successor D5300, probably using the same sensor, but with a faster image processor is coming either in late October or in early next year: http://nikonrumors.com/2013/09/24/nikon-d5300-specifications-wi-fi-gps-expeed-4.aspx/

With a faster processor, they might be able to crank out 1080p at 60fps or faster shooting of stills. If it will arrive in October, nikonrumors will surely have more info about the successor soon. G6 already has 1080p at 50/60 fps, while D5200 only has it for 720p - so you'll have to decrease resolution on D5200 if you want to shoot slow motion.

Since your choice is between two good cameras, I'd make my choice by bringing a memory card and trying both cameras out in a shop and see which one I prefer to handle.

Hey there,

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. I have read about some (severe) banding issue,concerning the 5200
and would like to know,whether the G6 has any of those..?

Also, what about the colour depth on both of them? Which one is better? I know that lenses speak their own
language but anyways, any insights? :)

For video: both use 8-bit color just like most affordable cameras. The exceptions to 8-bit color are the Black Magic or Canon cameras when you use magic lantern RAW.

For stills, nothing in that price level will beat the sensor of the D5200 in terms of color and dynamic range: http://tinyurl.com/p4gmwlw

I believe the banding in video mode on the D5200 is visible if you lift shadow areas too much. I think you'll find more threads about that and how to avoid it if you search the forum here on EOSHD.

I haven't heard about any sensor issues on G6. The user Andy Lee here on EOSHD seems to love his G6 cameras, guess you could ask him in his thread where he showcases a music video he shot on G6: http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/3471-new-pop-video-for-mtv-shot-on-panasonic-g6/

My own view on such: you'll find some kind of issue or problem that you'll need to be aware of with just about every camera/tool out there. The important part is to be aware of it and learn how to work around it. For myself, it's moiré and aliasing sometimes, and the fact that my camera only has 8-bit color in video mode that I have to be aware of and work around. In a few years we'll have 10-bit color on most cameras I assume. Until then, we'll have to keep on doing the best effort we can with today's tools :)

G6 no contest Im using mine every day for the past 2 months - superb camera

takes all my legacy lenses no issues

The best non RAW camera you can buy right now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz0Vl_VUycg&feature=player_embedded#t=0

I Directed and shot this new video for the artist Stephanie Wright last month.

I shot the whole video on the Panasonic G6 with Carl Zeiss Contax N mount Vario Sonnars and Canon FD L Series glass, plus Panasonic Lumix 14mm for wides and Carl Zeiss Biometar 85mm for face shots

Akai/Canon C mount zoom with x2 converter for mega crash zooms (x2 converter gives extreme circular bokeh madness in camera on the sitting down shots- thats not done in post)

It was shot in a heat wave 35 degrees heat plus all the heat from the lights in the Studio we used

and no issues with the G6 it performed amazingly well no crashes or battery pulls .

Battery life was very long too , whole shoot on one battery !! I was amazed .

The record label wanted a monchrome look so I shot it all on 'Naural'picture profile and it was desated in post.

All the slo mo shots where done at 50fps then manipilated even slower in post.

G6 is now my camera of choise , my Hacked gh2s are not getting used much now ,

G6 picture quality is so good, the image detail is outstanding ,

32gb card gives 2.5 hrs recording time which is amazing

I tested the Nikon when it came out and was not impresssed with it - the Panasonic G6 beats it hands down

G6 produces stunning images and and NO banding like the Nikon 

So you don't have any comparsion. I'd like to know because the banding ocurrs in the shadows, shadows which de g6 probably doesn't show anyway.

http://www.eoshd.com/content/9653/nikon-d5200-review

^ Look at the pros & cons in Andrew's review for D5200.

- Basically, you don't want to shoot with flat profiles with D5200, but rather use standard profile or a profile close to standard and get it as close to what you want already in camera with D5200.

http://www.eoshd.com/content/10824/panasonic-g6-review-the-gh2-redux

- what my own eyes tell me in the test footage is that G6 will have a little less chance of moire occuring than on a D5200 (or a GH3 for that matter, like Andrew's tests show).

Short summary:

G6: 

- if you want more possibilities for videos in post - get G6.

- sensor very good for stills

- 1080p at 50/60 fps can be used for full hd slow motion. Only G6 and NEX cameras have that feature around the same price level.

D5200:

- if you don't want to push shadows and do as much in post, D5200 will be great

- one of the absolutely best sensors for stills found in entry-level cameras.

- in stills mode, you'll need to shoot around ISO100 to ISO400 to get an advantage with dynamic range. The higher up the iso goes, the more similar the dynamic range will be to that of other cameras. This is true for stills at least, and I'd assume it goes for video mode as well, since it's how the sensor behaves.

- as long as you keep to standard profile, it won't have as much noise and will be quite comparable to a GH3 according to Andrew's comparison.

For stills: I've shot with DSLRs for a while, and you can get good results with less Dynamic Range and less good color reproduction. Higher DR and better color reproduction just makes it easier to get a great shot or rescue one where you missed a bit with the exposure. In other words - you'll get great results from stills with either camera if you learn how to handle them.

My recommendation is to get a feel of the cameras in a shop, usually helps a lot to try to get a bit comfortable with a camera before buying. Also ponder about their weaknesses and strengths and figure out what's most useful for your way of using it. If you want to grade and tweak your video footage more in post, G6 will be the better alternative.