I need to upgrade for a far better audio recorder: which?

Dan Wake

Hello,

I need to buy a new audio recorder can you suggest something with those features please?

1) It’s important I can custom names the files before starting recording, for example the name of the ciak scene, I mean all the info useful for people which will make the post production

2) I need to record 5 tracks with phantom power

3) I need full support for ambisonic audio

4) All the tracks must have a safety backup track recorded to tot. -db to prevent clipping

5) Very good low noise levels, way much better than another model I already own called Zoom H6 but is not enough. The new one must be so good that I can record room tones (I really need to record good quality room tones for work also).

6) Full timecode support

7) I need to send an audio monitor wireless to the script clerk

Low battery consume or offering good solutions for it

I prefere a recent model if possible

Thx!!!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, Dan Wake said:

Hello,

I need to buy a new audio recorder can you suggest something with those features please?

1) It’s important I can custom names the files before starting recording, for example the name of the ciak scene, I mean all the info useful for people which will make the post production

2) I need to record 5 tracks with phantom power

3) I need full support for ambisonic audio

4) All the tracks must have a safety backup track recorded to tot. -db to prevent clipping

5) Very good low noise levels, way much better than another model I already own called Zoom H6 but is not enough. The new one must be so good that I can record room tones (I really need to record good quality room tones for work also).

6) Full timecode support

7) I need to send an audio monitor wireless to the script clerk

Low battery consume or offering good solutions for it

I prefere a recent model if possible

Thx!!!

- feature 4 ("All the tracks must have a safety backup track recorded to tot. -db to prevent clipping") is absolutely useless with good preamps and an analog limiter like on MixPre series. 

- All features with MixPre 10T

- Only 4 preamps with MixPre 6 and limited timecode support.

- For feature 3 A ambisonic plugin for MixPre 6 and 10T https://www.sounddevices.com/product/ambisonics-plugin/

- For feature 7,  you need some wireless audio monitoring system like comtek.

45 minutes ago, BrunoCH said:

- feature 4 ("All the tracks must have a safety backup track recorded to tot. -db to prevent clipping") is absolutely useless with good preamps and an analog limiter like on MixPre series. 

- All features with MixPre 10T

- Only 4 preamps with MixPre 6 and limited timecode support.

- For feature 3 A ambisonic plugin for MixPre 6 and 10T https://www.sounddevices.com/product/ambisonics-plugin/

- For feature 7,  you need some wireless audio monitoring system like comtek.

thx, do you mean that the MixPre 10T can't make safety backup tracks? For my experience with limiters on the recorder I used I can notice when the limiter is pushin in. but with a safety track is all another story. I really wish to hear an example urgh

15 minutes ago, Dan Wake said:

thx, do you mean that the MixPre 10T can't make safety backup tracks? For my experience with limiters on the recorder I used I can notice when the limiter is pushin in. but with a safety track is all another story. I really wish to hear an example urgh

Pro recorder doesn't  -10db safety tracks (only copy backup). It's really not necessary with good preamps.

You can check the quality of mixpre series preamps and limiter here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y34zANsXV5U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-7gUUaXuY0

Where do you live?

The cheapest but very good route, is to go the Zoom F8n and Rode NT-SF1 way. 1930€ from Thomann, and you are set..

I have the Zoom F8 and I am planning to get the Rode sometime this year.

I am affraid your questions indicate a lack of basic sound engineering understanding, maybe you should spend some money for education (there are 1-2 years courses all around the world, in every possible country), and then you decide about your equipment.

These are 2 short and good reads about the Rode NT-SF1.

Quite honestly, there is no reason to go for the Ambeo when the Rode is slightly quiter, includes wind protection (saving at least another 150€), and is 500€ cheaper.

https://www.atmosphaeres.com/blog/spatial-audio-microphones-self-noise-comparison-4-mics/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.soundonsound.com/reviews/rode-nt-sf1%3famp

The cheap Zoom also is good for experimenting with simple and not critical tasks.

Clearly the Zoom F8n is the best choice for  you on a tight budget (or even the "best" option full stop, with no budget limit, if you have a very high priority on ambisonics). Or a Zoom F8 secondhand if you want to save a few dollars. You could even consider a Zoom F4 if you want to go with 4 phantom powered inputs, rather than a requirement of 5 (although the F4 still allows you to record 6 channels at once). 

On 7/17/2019 at 9:55 AM, Dan Wake said:

thx, is preamp noise level of the Zoom F6 > of the Zoom F8n? which is better?

They're the same when it comes to pre amps. 

However the F8n is overall a much much better design field recorder for the aspiring location sound recordist, which it sounds like you are. 

On 7/17/2019 at 12:06 PM, Dan Wake said:

No limiter engaged whatsoever (so long as the track doesn't peak) is better than any limiter. (Which is where a safety track could be beneficial, as it gives you a track which the limiter never kicked in)

A good limiter (like on Sound Devices / Sonosax / Aaton / Zaxcom / Zoom F series) is better than a bad limiter (like on cameras / Zoom H series / Tascam DR series / etc).