Hey Nikon - Where's the Z6 ProRes RAW Update?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, crevice said:

That $200 fee isn’t because of Apple or Red. That $200 fee is because of bad oversight on hardware and not planning hardware design properly from the get go by Nikon. The need for a $695 Atomos Ninja V is because of Red’s patent and the same goes for the S1H. But the S1H does not need hardware modification, because they planned properly. Regardless, neither of these things are a fault of Apple. Apple was actually fighting for us in a way - believe it or not - since they were disputing the patent, claiming you shouldn’t be able to patent shooting internal RAW. 

So in conclusion, this is 100 percent on them. It’s the Ninja V portion that isn’t on them or Panasonic. 

They had no clue its possible through HDMI, or worth the effort. It was Atomos idea. And S1H was developed long AFTER Atomos shared the idea with Panasonic. 

Hey the 2 unicorns of the mirrorless camera world - Sony A7s3 and now Nikon Z6 with raw both finally revealed in the same week. Must be nearly xmas...

Looking forward to seeing the full potential of the Z6 now, with prices they're going for, if you don't mind bolting on the Ninja this could be a great combination

3 hours ago, crevice said:

That $200 fee isn’t because of Apple or Red. That $200 fee is because of bad oversight on hardware and not planning hardware design properly from the get go by Nikon. The need for a $695 Atomos Ninja V is because of Red’s patent and the same goes for the S1H. But the S1H does not need hardware modification, because they planned properly. Regardless, neither of these things are a fault of Apple. Apple was actually fighting for us in a way - believe it or not - since they were disputing the patent, claiming you shouldn’t be able to patent shooting internal RAW. 

So in conclusion, this is 100 percent on them. It’s the Ninja V portion that isn’t on them or Panasonic. 

Hey, another guy super pissed because Nikon gave us the low budget filmakers, the first (announcement) raw capable full frame camera for less than 2k. How bad they are of not having planned that after releasing the first full frame 10 bit camera just 15 month ago, something people have been praying for like at least 5 years. That they would give require only a $ 200 upgrade for the holly grail of filmmaking image quality. Here we are after 13 years and the Canon 5D large sensor camera revolution, having to pay 200$ is some kind of scandale, to not only get a raw camera but a damn fucking good camera...

A very well made solid and very reliable peace of kit (I work in a tropical Island and been in very very humid hot environment from beaches, mangrove and tropical forest) with no problem until now.

Superb ergonomic, I can shoot without leaving the eye from the viewfinder...

A superb viewfinder that make me forget that I am looking through a EVF, the backscreen is also very good

Then Add the IBIS and the nice grip and you can shoot handheld. I mean I have rig my 2 z6 with a cage because even for photo I prefer a little bigger camera. But many people think you are shooting photos as it is so small and no need to rig it at all.

And best of all, superb out of camera colors and images. The 4k quality is just superb with very good 120fps HD. I would like the same 4k in 60 and 120 fps, but I can understand its for another model.

Add to that a fast number of lens that are optically exceptional and the possibility to adapt about every other lens with Nikon super shallow flange distance.

I almost forget, very good video autofocus.

It the end, it makes for a killer video camera, now with RAWWWWWWWWWWW video. But guess what people will complain how Nikon did or didn't do XYZ to what effectively is a $ 2000 body/firmware full frame camera, as effectively the z6 is at $ 1800 now, add a Ninja V for another 650. That same Ninja will get you so many shooting features beyond just recording that you won't find on any other video camera below 6-7 k.

I would recommend any people in shooting Raw (which is not my case for now, as I use Resolve), if you can try the z6 for a little time, at worst you can have a refurbish one for 1400 that you can then add the raw upgrade and ninja for about 2.1k overall. You will also be able to add almost all lens that cover FF or Apsc and test it. Don't listen to the naysayers. It is a very very good video camera.

And yet, a year after launch of the z6,                       they would also give the holly grail of

Yeah pretty nice, looks like the nicest image of the current mirrorless/dslr supply atm. Allthough external RAW on a external monitor to prores raw which isnt supported in davinci resolve is quite the dealbreaker for me. No point in recording raw If I cant use it. So hopefully BM will pick prores raw up pretty soon, otherwise I cant even consider this camera. Lets see what the A7S III will do, but 1DXIII and RED komodo already have my attention. 

43 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Yeah pretty nice, looks like the nicest image of the current mirrorless/dslr supply atm. Allthough external RAW on a external monitor to prores raw which isnt supported in davinci resolve is quite the dealbreaker for me. No point in recording raw If I cant use it. So hopefully BM will pick prores raw up pretty soon, otherwise I cant even consider this camera. Lets see what the A7S III will do, but 1DXIII and RED komodo already have my attention. 

As someone with 2 z6, I am in same position :(  The thing is that we are a bit in the middle of a 3 way fight. BM seems to want to push its BMraw and not that ready to implement  Prores raw. Only if they have a ton of clients from film industry using a lot Prores Raw that I think they will do it. Secondly, I was hopeful that we could get BMRAW from the new BM recorder bu it seems that Nikon did colaborate a lot with Atomos and I think they should have some arrangement that will forbid Nikon at least for some time to do the same with another company like BM. The last is the antagonism between Atomos and BM. I don't see Atomos putting BMraw in its recorder any day.

Hey better late than never. I've shot with the Z6 recently and really love its ergonomics, Z-mount primes & overall IQ/color science. 

With ProRes RAW it only gets better but yeah it's really a big shame you've got to A. send your camera in to Nikon B. no internal RAW (or even log right?).

Very balance story about Nikon Z6 Prores Raw. One exciting thing is his talk about very good Dynamic range which you can also shoot at 100 ISO. It looks like it will mirror the stills raw experience. So we can expect depending on your tolerance to noise, 14+ stop of 12 bit imagery.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/12/17/raw-over-hdmi-is-here-we-test-drive-the-nikon-z6-and-prores-raw/?fbclid=IwAR241dA3bDKX1Z8pvDMKzh1V33FjXuueX472uNc_1WNYnWp_MsaAZHm_DUA

13 hours ago, crevice said:

What hardware is changed out by Nikon?

9 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

Yep, the bashing continues, how dare a company give RAW video only in 1080p, must be Nikon, ohhhhhhh shit I did not read it well.

Another Atomos video, this one shows much more challenging colors

What's RAW 1080p?  Dose the Z6 do 4K RAW?  I'm confused.

3 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

Very balance story about Nikon Z6 Prores Raw. One exciting thing is his talk about very good Dynamic range which you can also shoot at 100 ISO. It looks like it will mirror the stills raw experience. So we can expect depending on your tolerance to noise, 14+ stop of 12 bit imagery.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/12/17/raw-over-hdmi-is-here-we-test-drive-the-nikon-z6-and-prores-raw/?fbclid=IwAR241dA3bDKX1Z8pvDMKzh1V33FjXuueX472uNc_1WNYnWp_MsaAZHm_DUA

probably 13 max

13 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

No 14+stop on the z6.  The d800 supposedly has 13.something stops and the z6 does not reach the same levels of dr.  I get the feeling it could if they turned up the active d-lighting.  Anyhoo the blacks are way noisier than the d800, I'd guess 12 usable stops at most (which would still be awesome)