Hey Nikon - Where's the Z6 ProRes RAW Update?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Red be the next gopro?

No Kinefinity is already eating their lunch, what will they be and others in a few more years? We don't seem to even talk about Kinefinity much anymore, but they have some hell of a good, inexpensive cameras out now.

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

No Kinefinity is already eating their lunch, what will they be and others in a few more years? We don't seem to even talk about Kinefinity much anymore, but they have some hell of a good, inexpensive cameras out now.

And BM and Z-Cam eating Kinefity's lunch already! 

Cameras are getting seriously cheap these days, and why not?

5 hours ago, Kisaha said:

And BM and Z-Cam eating Kinefity's lunch already! 

Cameras are getting seriously cheap these days, and why not?

I agree.  My issue with the Kinefity is availability, lack of reviews and comparisons to BM and Z-cam. You have to give Z-Cam credit for being transparent and an A for effort.  

The Z-Cam has no display screen so you have to have the Ninja or higher screen recorder out of the gate. Z-Cam seems determined to make it's mark in cine world.

On 7/31/2019 at 5:11 PM, Shell64 said:

Disappointing.  It’s as if the raw announcement was marketing hype to gain sales. The z6 isn’t a bad camera but with the s1 being similarly priced to the z6+ninja v and the bmpcc4k being significantly cheaper, lots of people bought the camera probably because of the raw announcement. I feel bad for all of you who did so. Honestly they may never announce it. 

What gives you that idea? Nikon and Atmos announced it they said it comes out in 2019.  Look how long people waited and wait for the P4K.  

If you have solid info pass it on but the knee jerk reactions are crazy.  Atomos is more invested in ProResRaw then Nikon and it's going to happen.

On 7/31/2019 at 10:35 AM, Christopherz said:

Atomos came out with a new video this morning and there is corresponding new software on both Atomos ninja V and Nikon’s page for the Z6. As of July 31st 2019.

Prores Raw is finally here!

I noticed the software updates also.  The Z6 footage looked great.

Did the Z6 always have timecode setting with the Z6?  Doe this make it pass Netflix specs as a A Cam?

On 7/31/2019 at 6:05 PM, Andrew Reid said:

Probably Q/A process is fucking pedantic at Nikon.

Nevertheless, why don't they just come out and give us an update and a new ETA.

It's a bit strange.

They are ominously quiet about it.

Not more then any other camera company.  I am getting antsy also waiting for at least an announcement on ETA.  

Who has Atomos or Nikon connections?   Give us a a little info.

Here' you go everyone.

Atomo response to a You Tube comment.

atomos.jpg

They can't go back from this and the other promos and statements. It will be a disaster for both companies if they don't proceed. 

Hm..This promo comes from the India distributor.. They could sell a few thousands there for sure. I am sure Nikon is far more reputable there than Blackmagic, and I am sure Canon sells a lot of cameras there too.

Nikon is bringing the assurance of the classic choice with the groundbreaking (or just modern) specs Canon never did.

I would never buy a camera on a promise though, even if it is printed in India!

• 3 months later...
  • Super Members
17 minutes ago, TomPhoto23 said:

So, half a year passed, where is it then?

Coincidentally, I was just about to post that Atomos have been tweeting about demonstrating it working today at the Inter BEE show.

Whether that makes it any closer to anyone else being able to use it is another story though.

EJTLIrgX0AAbxyz.thumb.jpeg.7ec793e35d4490ffc081868c14cb8255.jpeg

On 11/14/2019 at 5:04 AM, zerocool22 said:

Well as long resolve does not support it, its kinda useless anyway for those on Resolve. And at this point I am waiting eagerly on that 1Dx III sample footage. 

I know. Final Cut Pro only is a bummer. Either there needs to be support in resolve/premier or some prores raw to braw/cdng converter like there is for magic lantern raw files to dng. I heard something about edit ready for Windows being able to transcode prores raw to prores 444. 

4 hours ago, Shell64 said:

I know. Final Cut Pro only is a bummer. Either there needs to be support in resolve/premier or some prores raw to braw/cdng converter like there is for magic lantern raw files to dng. I heard something about edit ready for Windows being able to transcode prores raw to prores 444. 

I'm smuggling this question in here, on the (weak?!) basis that this is a Z6 thread and I don't want to start a new thread for what is probably a basic question.  My apologies if this has been answered elsewhere already.  Nikon has switched the scale for zebra patterns from per cent IRE on D810/D850 etc to RGB level on the Z6.  Referring to video capture (internal 8 bit) could I confirm that 100% IRE on the D810 equates to 235 RGB value on the Z6?  Thanks in advance.

Just in case anyone was under the delusion that the z6 raw update was 

a) nearly here

b) a high priority

I had an exchange with a nikon tech about it via email: he didn't know anything about it - i got the impression that he hadn't heard that a hardware update is going to be necessary, making it look like Nikon Australia has no plans in place to manage it.  He said he expected it to  come out with an update in the next few months (which I took to mean that he thought it would be done with a firmware update only, which we know is wrong and kinda shows they are as clueless as the rest of us). 

• 2 weeks later...

I just don't understand their logic with this.
Ok, if there's been technical limitations or bugs that they're struggling with (i.e. image delay), I can understand that.
But keeping people hanging on like this doesn't paint them in a good light.
It's nearly 2020.

Everything points towards Nikon struggling as a company and there's plenty of mention of them downscaling, changing the business model etc etc.
See this link.
https://petapixel.com/2019/11/12/nikon-says-its-cameras-need-to-justify-their-existence-as-a-business/

For them to throw away a potential market win for all the budget video people out there dying for 4k raw video seems like total lunacy to me.
Every day that passes by the camera world gets closer to another S1H or other disrupting body, and Nikon really should act now, or have acted long ago to capitalise on this and win back some of the market that's shunned them for so long.
I just grinds my gears watching this kind of thing happen.

If it's just for some stupid scheduling or strategic reason, then that's just a shame and they'll suffer for it.
Recall how much of a runaway success the 5d series was.
I'm sure they could have had something like that if they'd delivered earlier in the year.

On 12/10/2019 at 10:38 AM, Helweg said:

If it's just for some stupid scheduling or strategic reason, then that's just a shame and they'll suffer for it.
Recall how much of a runaway success the 5d series was.
I'm sure they could have had something like that if they'd delivered earlier in the year.

Adding a feature no other camera under $2000 has is not a disaster by any means. Because they did it finally:

https://m.dpreview.com/news/3228623333/nikon-announces-z6-z7-raw-video-output-upgrade-new-firmware-adds-cfexpress-support

Both the the delay and $200 fee is direct result of Apple-RED fight over that stupid patent, which didn't end up well for consumers. Bash Nikon for many mistakes they did that everything around was under their control. This one is not one of them.

45 minutes ago, Eric Calabros said:

Adding a feature no other camera under $2000 has is not a disaster by any means. Because they did it finally:

https://m.dpreview.com/news/3228623333/nikon-announces-z6-z7-raw-video-output-upgrade-new-firmware-adds-cfexpress-support

Both the the delay and $200 fee is direct result of Apple-RED fight over that stupid patent, which didn't end up well for consumers. Bash Nikon for many mistakes they did that everything around was under their control. This one is not one of them.

That $200 fee isn’t because of Apple or Red. That $200 fee is because of bad oversight on hardware and not planning hardware design properly from the get go by Nikon. The need for a $695 Atomos Ninja V is because of Red’s patent and the same goes for the S1H. But the S1H does not need hardware modification, because they planned properly. Regardless, neither of these things are a fault of Apple. Apple was actually fighting for us in a way - believe it or not - since they were disputing the patent, claiming you shouldn’t be able to patent shooting internal RAW. 

So in conclusion, this is 100 percent on them. It’s the Ninja V portion that isn’t on them or Panasonic.