Hey Nikon - Where's the Z6 ProRes RAW Update?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, Christopherz said:

Atomos came out with a new video this morning and there is corresponding new software on both Atomos ninja V and Nikon’s page for the Z6. As of July 31st 2019.

Prores Raw is finally here!

Here is the video. It doesn't state Anything about Raw. Just 10bit 4K 30p.

18 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Disappointing.  It’s as if the raw announcement was marketing hype to gain sales. The z6 isn’t a bad camera but with the s1 being similarly priced to the z6+ninja v and the bmpcc4k being significantly cheaper, lots of people bought the camera probably because of the raw announcement. I feel bad for all of you who did so. Honestly they may never announce it. 

29 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

They don't show how to setup Raw, but she does mention ProRes and ProRes Raw at the 45 second mark.  Says something to the effect that it "preserves the camera's raw sensor data".  So, it sounds to me like it's still on the table.  Interesting times.  ?

Queued up here:

1 minute ago, docmoore said:

The new firmware (2.01) for the Z6 and Z7 addresses a couple of bugs in the previous eye AF firmware upgrade (2.0)

This is not the highly anticipated Raw upgrade ....

I don’t know why this takes so long. Would’ve been much easier if they have us DNG raw internal, but they want that $$ from brand deals

• Super Members
46 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Probably Q/A process is fucking pedantic at Nikon.

Nevertheless, why don't they just come out and give us an update and a new ETA.

It's a bit strange.

They are ominously quiet about it.

I mentioned the other week that Atomos are also way overdue with the NDI and Timecode modules for the Ninja V so the issues may be at that end as well if Atomos' attention is on getting those out.

My side bet is still on there being some licensing issues with you know who.

4 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I think Red cameras are done in the long run unless they Really drop their prices big time. The Chinese company's will eat them alive in the long run. So I think it is more of a money grab right now on these Patent fights..

Red be the next gopro?

• Super Members
10 hours ago, Shell64 said:

The z6 isn’t a bad camera but with the s1 being similarly priced to the z6+ninja v and the bmpcc4k being significantly cheaper, lots of people bought the camera probably because of the raw announcement. I feel bad for all of you who did so. Honestly they may never announce it. 

It depends on preferred workflow etc. Personally, at this point I would still choose the Z6+Ninja over the s1 because its Prores and it has lenses.

Just think about prores workflow for resolve on windows.....

...put in ssd, convert the lot to an editable pc format and then edit away?

This does not sound like a sensible way of working for pc people. Atomos can do Cinema DNG as well.

Regarding Red, why would Nikon be chased away by them? I would imagine Nikon has a longer breath? 

And why the hell do they need Atomos in this? No patent can stop them saving NEF straight to card.

21 minutes ago, hansel said:

From what i have read it always said it is a Apple thingy. Smashing! Thanks!

I have to test again, but when I was interested in the Z6 raw update, I downloaded Prores sample files and I remember it did not work well on my PC. I have a beefy  configuration and have no problem using raw, h265 etc. But I repeat, I am not sure, just old "souvenirs"... and I remember I was disappointed cause I was eagerly waiting for the raw update ? I will try again and let you know (and it can also be a user error from me... in fact, must be that, cause I trust more Mattias than my memory ahah !).

• Super Members
1 hour ago, hansel said:

Regarding Red, why would Nikon be chased away by them? I would imagine Nikon has a longer breath? 

It is not necessarily at Nikon's end of the HDMI cable.

Atomos had a lawsuit with RED (which coincidentally, or not, was filed within weeks of Atomos announcing ProRes RAW recording) that was settled with them having to license RED's IP.

Whether this license has created additional hurdles/costs is one potential reason for the delay as it is in the Atomos end (ie the recording of a compressed RAW signal) where any infringement would occur.

Having said that, its also worth remembering I suppose that this will be the first camera that can record ProResRAW over HDMI rather than SDI so the delay could also be caused by the good old fashioned more prosaic reason of it needing a bit more work than was imagined ;)

Mind you, based on my personal experience of buying RED products in the past, that is so much a part of their brand DNA that it wouldn't surprise me if they'd patented that as well !

• Super Members
1 hour ago, hansel said:

From what i have read it always said it is a Apple thingy. Smashing! Thanks!

To create and export it yes, but not to work with it. Atomos and the others aren't putting Prores in their machines just for Apple users.
 So on a PC (at least the once I've used) I just import and edit Prores like I would on a Mac. When its time to export I use DNxHD or similar that a PC can create.
Unless the project is fine with h.264.

PS. To install Prores on to a PC I remember installing and uninstalling Quicktime Player. Might not be needed today. EDIT: wasn't needed when testing it just now.

EDIT: Just tested a clip from a BMPCC4K on my Office PC at work. A real piece of HP-junk only used for Words and Excell with Premiere installed just in case. It imported instantly and flowed smoothly.