Help me brothers (and sisters)

MrSMW

I would like to attach one of my Rode Wireless Go transmitters to preferably a typical audio speaking mic, at a stand that they do not touch.

Second best option, to the mic stand itself, but then we are getting further from the mouth so less desirable.

I'm thinking something almost like a Gorilla Pod or similar flexible type tripod, but really tiny tiny tiny or preferably, just one single leg.

I can't find a product so may end up just buying one of these mini flexible tripods and cutting a leg off with a hacksaw and using just that, but if anyone knows of something, I'd like to hear from you.

And no, elastic bands or zip ties etc are not really an option as A: the speaking mic's are never mine and B: it would be faff and a bit ugly. Though maybe a pair of black elastic bands could be the answer...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
2 hours ago, MrSMW said:

I would like to attach one of my Rode Wireless Go transmitters to preferably a typical audio speaking mic, at a stand that they do not touch.

The simplest way to attach something to a mic is to just use an additional basic mic holder further up the body of the mic.

mic_clip.thumb.jpg.34d311f862c90d2c5f17dbbd2d2498c8.jpg

That will give you an adjustable arm to then attach to something that will hold the transmitter.

Then unscrew the brass mount and put one of these thread adapters in the base of the holder.

905425822_threadadapter.jpg.069924d5964fd7f16d735ebde3b2d8d7.jpg

This will give you a standard 1/4" 20 screw which you can use to attach this expandable phone grip into which you can put the transmitter.

phonemount.thumb.jpg.d03d6cdefcffa41acdc6132f1881fccb.jpg

Now, the snag to this is that the minimum opening size of the phone will likely be too wide to hold the transmitter.

My one for example has a minimum opening of 52mm which is 8mm too wide for the transmitter.

However, this is an easy and permanent fix as you can just glue (or epoxy for maximum DIY hacking cred ;) )  additional padding material to either end of the jaws to reduce this minimum opening distance. You can use anything but some cut foam or polystyrene will be ideal. If you add 8mm of material at each end then you will have reduced the minimum opening to 36mm which will mean that the expandable jaws will then clamp the transmitter tight.

Total cost is about £9 (£4 for the mic holder, £1 for the thread adapter and £4 for the phone holder).

• Super Members
8 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Thanks @BTM_Pix I will take a look at that.

Or gaffer tape...

Now we're talking !

I didn't realise you wanted the precision option ;) 

Simplest would probably be a velcro cable tie behind the clip on the transmitter to strap it to the mic then.

2 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Cable, Zip Ties are great also.

Old minds think alike :)