Fuji X Pro 1 - second look and video mode

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/fuji-x-pro-1-without-lens.jpg[/img]

There is more to this camera than meets the eye. In my first look I was rather taken aback by the eccentricities of the camera and just could not work out what it offered over the cheaper NEX 7. Now in a surprised double-take, I am beginning to believe it is actually the best mirrorless on the market for stills. And the 1080p video mode – once you know the limitations – is capable of producing incredible results.

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/7505/fuji-x-pro-1-second-look-and-video-mode/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
The still images really are special from all the samples I have seen.  My local shop gets them in soon - might get one because there are now a few Leica M adapters for it.

Have you had any fun with the film simulation modes?  I LOVED shooting Astia when I was younger - all my girlfriends and boyfriends skin looked so smooth and velvety when we would shoot through rolls.

Cheers!

• Administrators
I'm using the bundled Silkypix raw converter as Camera Raw and Photoshop doesn't support the X Pro 1 at the moment - since it is new, and they are slow.

Yes agree on Astia, Sara, favourite film mode on X Pro 1 by a mile!! The standard one brings out the shadows better but Astia has better tonality.

"Video optimised image processing, encoding and sensor output counts for a lot in video mode – even though the X Pro 1 has a far superior sensor than the GH2 has, it is nowhere near in terms of clean resolution without artefacts."

I guess all this is a matter of firmware management of the sensor data and video quality can be improved with video optimized firmware change, no?  ::)

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for sharing your insights on this camera. It helped to tip the balance and I purchased the camera via Amazon, I like their 30 day return policy. On the adapter front, I took your guidance and purchased an F Mount adapter from Kipon. The quality seemed high, the machining is really clean but read on. Luckily, I mounted the Lens on  the adapter first. Grrrr. If I can figure out how to dismount the lens, I will risk it and put all three together. Make sure you test in some way the machining of the adapter. My wee technique might be the only way I just hope it is not terminal. Will report back.