Panasonic S1 V-LOG -- New image quality king of the hill

Andrew Reid

23 hours ago, Tim Sewell said:

Nice. And really stable - is the IBIS really that good? 

As long as you don’t expect it to be a replacement for a gimbal, it’s superb.

The IBIS on my S5 is good. I like to shoot subjects pretty statically ie, rarely track, pan, zoom or anything but allow my subject to provide any and all movement.

On the S1H, it’s fantastic.

If I use an OIS lens, it’s not far off a tripod and unless you cock it up, you just don’t notice any movement. In fact you don’t even without an OIS lens.

I was previously an XT3 and freestanding monopod user.

I am now handheld (other than long static stuff that needs a tripod obviously) and I am so much faster and have so much more flexibility to just shoot and not faff trying to get the height and the angle and the level or even to get the thing standing up by itself on an uneven surface.

Gamechanger is an overused term. For me, in this instance, it isn’t. It is 100% a gamechanger.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 7/3/2021 at 9:59 AM, Tim Sewell said:

Nice. And really stable - is the IBIS really that good? 

I plan to use it mainly with my Super Taks and with a couple of EF zooms.

Waiting for the postman! 

Thanks. IBIS is good. GH5 level imho. I stabilized in Resolve which was helpful since I didnt bother to dial the right focal length in. I filmed with a 25-50 zoom, the beautiful Tokina, filmed at either 25 or 50mm, having 35mm dialed in I think.

Post stabi in Resolve works pretty well when shot with a high shutter and when filmed sufficient enough.

Now you will test yourself and enjoy some amazing treats this cam has to offer. Especially absence of noise reduction and mush at higher Isos.

• 6 months later...
18 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Best color I´ve seen so far from the S series. Blacks are a bit too crushed for my taste, even though I do like a rich and contrasty look.

Yeah, great colours on this one - DoP and colourist knew what they were doing.

Skintones were really nice despite the pushed colours (which often makes skin tones go nuclear), the image was super clean, and even the off-WB lighting didn't do bad things like clipping channels or rotating hues when getting brighter and dimmer etc.

Even the film emulation style natural light car stuff still had good colours and skin tones that matched apart from being less saturated.

3 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

@kye, perfectly put! Thanks, mate! Interesting enough, not much exiting footage from S1H filmers on the web. This one would be another one of the very few. Though with over the top saturated hues from leds and some mushyness in the darker areas. I like the overall colour palette and boldness:

Also nice looking footage, although many less shots of neutral skin tones etc due to the lighting and editing.  Looks pretty nice though.

I think there's a huge issue with the perception of cameras, which is that almost any camera can look great these days, but in order to see lots of great footage on the internet, competent people need to film it and post it on the internet.

Canon know this and that's why they market to vloggers - the people who film and post footage online for a living.  Film-makers, on the other hand, don't really care about cameras that much and can use whatever camera they like, and often rent ARRI gear.  When they do want to own something more affordable, they film footage but it only appears anonymously on streaming platforms, so you can't tell what camera it was shot on.

So this means that YT only features affordable cameras and noteworthy cameras, thus why there are so many more DSLR / MILC cameras featured on YT than cinema cameras and camcorders.  

If YT was representative then it should be:

• almost half shot-on-film
  • full of ARRI
  • RED ranger as well as DSMC2

and is there a single YT video (except movie trailers) shot on Panavision?

Oscar-2021-nominees.011-e1615828314501.j

Watching YT to see what camera gear is good is like watching Tiktok and thinking that humanity is only 15-year old girls and 20-something rappers who mime, dance and rap all day.

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone, I am a filmmaker from Italy, I am new here but I've avidly read this thread when I was about to purchase my S1 about a year ago, since then I shot some client work with it and a full feature film, I am pretty new in all of this but I really really REALLY like the results this camera gives, I like them so much that I went and purchased a second camera, the Lumix S5. 

I have some works of mine on my vimeo which are all shot on the Lumix S1 handheld, not highbudget stuff but you might enjoy or critique some, would appreciate that 🙂 I'll leave here an example but you can find more on my vimeo profile.

Now... I have a question, does anyone have any kind of workflow for treating BRAW coming out from this camera? I bought a VA 12g and I would like to try to get into that workflow. Thanks!

8 minutes ago, Razvan Lacatus said:

Hey! Thank you very much! I am based in the Marche region but I move up sometimes if work requires to. Sei qui in Italia anche tu? 🙂

Ogni tanto si, a Roma, in Portogallo in questo momento (sono Portoghese) quando non in UK : ) Bellissima piccola opera, vado a vedere il resto...

What exactly is this one? :- )

29 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Ogni tanto si, a Roma, in Portogallo in questo momento (sono Portoghese) quando non in UK : ) Bellissima piccola opera, vado a vedere il resto...

What exactly is this one? :- )

Ah I see, that must be pretty fun when going around in these nice places haha (non ho capito se qui si può scrivere in Italiano o no ma per non rischiare ti rispondo in Inglese)

This is the trailer of my first feature movie (mockumentary/comedy/drama) that I finished last month, not high budget and completely indie, I was the director but also the dop and camera operator + everything else techincal, then 2 writers (one of them is also the main actor) and another guy who composed the entire score for the feature. It was really fun to make, it's an hour long. Me and the two writers are currently aiming for some festivals (but it seems very hard to choose which) and also looking for some ways to show it around, we did 2  "closed doors" projections in local cinemas and we have one more on the 9th of this month! It was entirely shot on the Lumix S1.

4 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Sent you PM : ) but it's very nice and fits fine to this forum to see practical movie products coming from these devices we all love other than the customary flowers and cats... LOL :- )

Message received...  I will start creating videos with flowers in them immediately!

• 1 month later...

Can someone help me understand the differences between "6K Photo Mode" on the S1 and the 6K 3:2 10-bit internally recorded video which the camera is capable of recording, possibly only after having the paid V-log update? Is there a crop factor difference? Is 6K Photo Mode limited to 30p? Is it necessary to pay for the V-log update in order to maximize the camera's video dynamic range? Thanks.

I highly recommed to any S1 owner to shell out the 200USD for the VLog update. It also includes the great 150mbit 422 10bit 4K modes, 100mbit 10bit HD modes plus 4K 60p 10bit in S35mode, also full sensor open gate true 6K mode.

The photomode has less resolution than the full sensor open gate mode, something between FF and S35. So go ahead and treat yourself with the best and obligatory update for your camera, making it a true indy cinema camera powerhouse and music video dream camera! Without the update S1 does not offer 422 nor its awesome codecs nor modes, which mentioned above, open gate included. cheers