Panasonic S1 V-LOG -- New image quality king of the hill

Andrew Reid

On 8/21/2020 at 8:53 PM, mojo43 said:

I can't remember if I already posted this, but we shot this with mostly S1. Couldn't believe the quality of the image. Truly amazing.

Beautiful work. Can I also ask what sharpening you did and how you exported it? Some of the shots are so sharp and crisp, particularly of the woman near the fire at the end. Looks fantastic.

I always struggle to get crisp exports, even when the original footage has very high fidelity. I feel like h264 footage comes out much worse on Vimeo/YT compared to footage recorded in raw or prores for some reason.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 hours ago, austinchimp said:

Beautiful work. Can I also ask what sharpening you did and how you exported it? Some of the shots are so sharp and crisp, particularly of the woman near the fire at the end. Looks fantastic.

I always struggle to get crisp exports, even when the original footage has very high fidelity. I feel like h264 footage comes out much worse on Vimeo/YT compared to footage recorded in raw or prores for some reason.

I colour and sharpen and add grain for each clip so it's a bit hard to explain. The render out is h264 on best settings from Resolve. Hope that helps and thanks for the kind words!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Just bought a S1 and a 24-105mm lens for very VERY cheap, goodbye nikon. 

I am probably going to hold onto mine. Its really the full frame image, 422, plus IBIS that makes me hold on. The IBIS really is an amazing run and gun tool. Combined with the incredible dynamic range/high iso performance its hard to beat. 

I really hope they give it an update to have 24p in 1080 tho. I'd also love a 400mbps option in 4k. 

On 10/15/2020 at 7:17 PM, Geoff CB said:

Just bought a S1 and a 24-105mm lens for very VERY cheap, goodbye nikon. 

sunset_1.2.1.jpg

Hi Geoff,

Would you be so kind to share with me where you bought S1 and 24-105? New or used?

I’m thinking it’s time for me to make an upgrade from GH5.

Thanks in advance,

Sven

On 10/27/2020 at 4:47 PM, Sven Delac said:

Hi Geoff,

Would you be so kind to share with me where you bought S1 and 24-105? New or used?

I’m thinking it’s time for me to make an upgrade from GH5.

Thanks in advance,

Sven

Hey Sven, I was lucky and purchased the camera directly from a friend who was not using it. Gave me a great deal on the condition that I not turn around and sell on eBay for a profit because I've been working with him.

Always good to buy used from keh/adorama/b&h. Saw a good deal on a S1R +24-105 on ebay that currently has some low bids, which is supposed to get a 5k update soon, but that is a roll of the dice.

10 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Hey Sven, I was lucky and purchased the camera directly from a friend who was not using it. Gave me a great deal on the condition that I not turn around and sell on eBay for a profit because I've been working with him in the past. 

Hey Geoff, why did he sell it. For a S5 which has 4K60p in 10bit? 🙂

Now I bite in the sweet sour apple and bought the darn VLog Update. It feels awesome, having the full power of Vlog curve and gamut and the sensor and the fantastic processing of the S1 at my hands now. Processing already show its powers in the 8bit modes. No mushyness in low to no light!

No with the famous 10bit long gop and Vlog I feel like having a mini Varicam in my hands!

I am very pleased to see that VLog is even there in EXtele and HD modes. I am super happy that I bought the update. Now Panny, as a little gift to us S1 owners with the VLog update, give ALL S1 owners the 10bit 4K60p of the S5. 🙂 @Andrew ReidAndrew, with your connections to Panasonic, would you be allowed to say anything about a possible 10bit 4K50/60p update for the S1?  

@HockeyFan12 Darn, what luscious green. Such luxerous rich colour! Beautiful shots, esp. the first one knocks me off my socks. Would love some footage of a person in that setting.

11 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

@HockeyFan12 Darn, what luscious green. Such luxerous rich colour! Beautiful shots, esp. the first one knocks me off my socks. Would love some footage of a person in that setting.

Thanks! The secret is wet foliage I think. But the S1 also has nice colors. 

Congrats on the V Log upgrade btw. I remember when I first installed it how blown away I was by the added dynamic range. The S1 is such a capable camera!

New firmware announced by Panasonic for the S1 (as well as some for S1R and S1H) coming November 24th.

The good news is that the new AF system (implemented in the S5) is coming November 24th. Red recording status frame indicator (Yeah!!!).

They also announced that firmware is coming in the first half of 2021 for the S1 which will allow for 5.9K RAW over hdmi, and 5.9K / C4k internal recording. Finally 4K 60p internal will be 10-bit 4:2:0 instead of current 8-bit 4:2:0

All the same, I am thinking of either "downgrading" to an S5 or instead going for...

...an R6.