Panasonic S1 V-LOG -- New image quality king of the hill

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Held one of these for the first time yesterday. Love the setup and features and the IBIS seems even better that the Z6. Viewfinder is absolutely beautiful.  Hope the next iteration can improve AF. 

Will be testing out the video next week.

Excited to see your results. 

I’m really keen to know what people think about the S1 image quality In 1080p modes (FF and APSC) at regular 24/25/30p frame rates.

I’ve read lots of references to line skipping, which would be a pity, as you’d hope a great 4K could also deliver strong 1080p out of the camera.

With the reasonable data rates I suppose most people are shooting the S1 in UHD anyway even if delivering in 1080, but I’ve gotten used to shooting ‘proper’ 1080p on the c300mk2 at work.

9 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Excited to see your results. 

Me too, initial v-log impressions were good. The lack of affordable lenses in the system (Thankfully sigma at least is giving cheaper 3rd party options) and the AF are the only thing keeping my wallet in my pocket. Not even really concerned about AF for video, I need it to be good enough for the occasional photo work in low light situations.

1 hour ago, Geoff CB said:

I need it to be good enough for the occasional photo work in low light situations.

Were you disappointed with the photo AF results you were getting?

I have shot band photography in very dark, very low-light bars with the S1 and native 24-105 lens, pushing iso 12800 and beyond without a problem (mostly in eye-detect mode) and come away very impressed. 

1 hour ago, Parker said:

Were you disappointed with the photo AF results you were getting?

I have shot band photography in very dark, very low-light bars with the S1 and native 24-105 lens, pushing iso 12800 and beyond without a problem (mostly in eye-detect mode) and come away very impressed. 

No I've not had a chance to fully use it yet, borrowing it this week to give it a try.

Does anyone know if you can punch in when recording?

On 8/8/2020 at 11:18 PM, Geoff CB said:

Held one of these for the first time yesterday. Love the setup and features and the IBIS seems even better that the Z6. Viewfinder is absolutely beautiful.  Hope the next iteration can improve AF. 

Will be testing out the video next week.

Welcome to the S1 craze.:) Lowlight is A7III level with better codec. With the 10bit 422 Vlog update- no contest. I shot half of a shortfilm with the S1 paired to a C300MKII, that without the update. I was using the superslim 75mbit h265 10bit 420 codec in HLG. Gee, is there a way to write that in a nice proper way?:) The h265 is amazingly good, except on evenly lit single coloured surfaces where it shows artefacts easily when trying to break it in grading. Have not bought the VLOG update. But coming from various GH5 projects, the 150 mbit 10bit 422 is a fantastic codec.

1 hour ago, sev7en said:

Dear for your information 😄

noooooooooooooooooooooo today I am going to see.... maybe (nooo) buy the S1R! 😛 

Really not interested in the S1R, limited record time, no 10-bit. Extra megapixels alone is no where near worth the extra expense.

Wish I could find a ACES transform for this camera. Some V-LOG shots manually graded. Lens was the Panasonic 24-105 F4

Also if anyone wants to know the H&Y Variable MRC HD ND+CPL Filter is what I used for these. It's excellent and color neutral, if a bit fiddly to use. 

walking_1.1.1.jpgThe garden_1.7.1.jpg

windchime_1.6.1_1.6.2.jpgsunflower_1.4.1.jpg

I REALLY hope Panasonic steps up their AF game next time around.  

Wish I could find a ACES transform for this camera. Some V-LOG shots manually graded. Lens was the Panasonic 24-105 F4

Also if anyone wants to know the H&Y Variable MRC HD ND+CPL Filter is what I used for these. It's excellent and color neutral, if a bit fiddly to use. 

It is what is stopping me to buy blinded eyes the S1R... it is enough some small wind to trash a shoot and we know... you haven't a second play.

There is: V35 matches perfectly fine. Just the white point is a tad lower than full Varicam.

5 hours ago, sev7en said:

It is what is stopping me to buy blinded eyes the S1R... it is enough some small wind to trash a shoot and we know... you haven't a second play.

It's really embarrassingly bad. I would rather use the AF on a NX1 or A7r Mark II

Image quality is excellent, but can only use MF 😞

puppers1_1.9.2.jpg