Panasonic S1 V-LOG -- New image quality king of the hill

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

So you can't just throw a LUT on and be done?

Or convert to ACES?

Sorry I am asking so many questions. I haven't had enough time to shoot real-world video projects so I just want to make sure I am prepared for my next video job.

Yes you can, but i don't like so much the result.this are with the nicest LUT

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I am also curious to know how the V-Log in 4K60p is with the S1 since it is 8 bit. Useable or would you swap to a r709 profile?

Would 4K recording work with just like a Sandisk SD 95mbs card or does it have to be a faster UHS II card?

Appreciate the answers to my previous post!

On 3/17/2020 at 11:45 PM, BjornT said:

I am also curious to know how the V-Log in 4K60p is with the S1 since it is 8 bit. Useable or would you swap to a r709 profile?

Would 4K recording work with just like a Sandisk SD 95mbs card or does it have to be a faster UHS II card?

Appreciate the answers to my previous post!

The clip i have share before is shot in 4k50p V-log 8bit

Yes the Sandisk 95mbs works in all modes..

Looks like the ghosting artifacts (temporal noise reduction) that plagued the S1 (and were fixed in firmware) are still plaguing the S1H (posted yesterday by Gerald Undone)...

Panasonic S1 vs S1H: Cheaper Is Better?! - YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDjLHiiatUA

...feeling glad I didn't upgrade from my S1's quite yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, S1 lovers. Has anyone tried to find hidden features on their camera? @BTM_Pix of EOSHD community has gained access to a variety of Lumix cameras with his GX85 tool:

#

Now, if there is a hidden 200mbit mode for the S1 or true 4K or other tasty treats, that would really be lovely. So, any S1 users with experience regarding these hidden modes?

• Super Members

To be honest, I think we've had our fun with that type of stuff and Panasonic have tightened it up but on the off chance I'd start with examining what modes that the S1H has that the S1 doesn't and take it from there.

FYI, though, I had a brief look at the S1H that @Andrew Reid had with him in Barcelona and the authorisation routine has changed so that will need working around as well.

• 2 weeks later...

A little vignette I fiilmed last week with the beautiful Canon FD 20mm and the awesome Vivitar 90mm macro lens plus 50mm 1.4 SSC for the slomo at the end.

First shot is in BW and colored in Davinci, filmed with GX85. Arrow shots at sunset between 12800 and 25600 ISO, which worked impressively well in 4K, not so well in slomo of course. I am very, very impressed by this camera. Battery life is good. With two original batteries one should be happy for the day. Sorry for the sound quality and lack of sounddesign. All shot in L monochrom and portrait with manual color temperature, 8bit 4k and 125fps HD at the end. High shutter speed for the fans of motion cadence. :) cheers

Great images, Panny.
The slow-mo sling shots are out of this world, they look very characterized - almost like from a 'Sin City' movie.
( :

/OFFTOPIC:
I love the fact that those kids still play outside and seem to have a ton of fun just being together.
This is proper childhood - not being glued to a tablet screen.

On 3/19/2020 at 9:41 PM, Jimmy G said:

Looks like the ghosting artifacts (temporal noise reduction) that plagued the S1 (and were fixed in firmware) are still plaguing the S1H (posted yesterday by Gerald Undone)...

I have not been able to tell, but what I can say is there is a distinctly worse quality coming from the S1H H.265 encoder vs the H.264 encoder. I was editing a music video I shot a few months ago, and I could really see how bad the HEVC stuff was when it was right next to the other codec. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2020 at 11:21 AM, heart0less said:

Great images, Panny.
The slow-mo sling shots are out of this world, they look very characterized - almost like from a 'Sin City' movie.
( :

/OFFTOPIC:
I love the fact that those kids still play outside and seem to have a ton of fun just being together.
This is proper childhood - not being glued to a tablet screen.

Thanx, my friend. 25600iso is a bit much for HVR mode in super low light. But it shows very well that noise reduction is not showing its ugly face fortunately. 4k full sensor readout handles lowlight very impressively. Best shot at iso 6400 and being pushed in post. A very impressive camera. If S1H can fix the ghosting issues and the troubles with nasty blue leds I would still be tempted to get one for the timecode and large variety of codec options. Theses kids still get plenty outdoor time, though the interweb is alwayst tempting to them.:)

One sidenote on the 709 color profiles. Filmed a mini doc with the S1 and GX85 both in portrait mode. On both cameras I experienced a bit waxy skintones. Would need further testing as some users got some nice results with it.

On 4/13/2020 at 12:09 PM, Lux Shots said:

I have not been able to tell, but what I can say is there is a distinctly worse quality coming from the S1H H.265 encoder vs the H.264 encoder. I was editing a music video I shot a few months ago, and I could really see how bad the HEVC stuff was when it was right next to the other codec. 

Would be awesome to read more about the 10bit h265 vs h264 on the S1H!

After plenty of testing and even more after filming half of a shortfilm with it last week, S1 is here to stay. Here is a sample of lighing test and giving my beautiful 35 to 70mm zoom a good testrun wide open. Awesome lens and fantastic image quality on the S1. Filmed in 2.5 to 3.5 at 800iso, all lit with tungsten and two tungsten flavour leds plus one kinoflo. Filmed in both, full width and apsc mode.

On 3/19/2020 at 9:41 PM, Jimmy G said:

They are fixed now.

I search once in a day or two for Panasonic S1 in youtube to watch every recently uploaded video. It is always nice to watch others works with same camera as yours. I feel inspired by videos like above which also in my opinion shows what an incredibly "easy to start rolling and delivering big time" camera the Pana S1 is. Especially with vintage glass! That was my main convincing strong point to choose it. You can throw anything on this beast and it handles colors, flair and color casts always perfectly!

I bought a Canon EF camera last week with an attached 1.2 55mm where I couldn't see the front ring in the photo because it was closed with a cap. Very fortunately, when I opened the package, it came out to be one of the rare Aspherical beasts! I will make a video with it but just wanted to share a few images shot at F1.2 with Raw and edited in PS. Added contrast and some saturation but colors are AWB without any tweaking. It manages this old elusive beauty perfectly.

50115284146_c147d14d99_c.jpg

50115283471_247a8b05b3_c.jpg

50115515207_a9e2a14227_c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2020 at 6:24 PM, Mustafa Dogan said:

I search once in a day or two for Panasonic S1 in youtube to watch every recently uploaded video. It is always nice to watch others works with same camera as yours. I feel inspired by videos like above which also in my opinion shows what an incredibly "easy to start rolling and delivering big time" camera the Pana S1 is. Especially with vintage glass! That was my main convincing strong point to choose it. You can throw anything on this beast and it handles colors, flair and color casts always perfectly!

I bought a Canon EF camera last week with an attached 1.2 55mm where I couldn't see the front ring in the photo because it was closed with a cap. Very fortunately, when I opened the package, it came out to be one of the rare Aspherical beasts! I will make a video with it but just wanted to share a few images shot at F1.2 with Raw and edited in PS. Added contrast and some saturation but colors are AWB without any tweaking. It manages this old elusive beauty perfectly.

50115284146_c147d14d99_c.jpg

50115283471_247a8b05b3_c.jpg

50115515207_a9e2a14227_c.jpg

The mighty FD 1.2 55mm Apsherical was sold right after listing it in my shop. I only had a single day to spent with it. All shots here are with 1.2 to demonstrate its performance. I used Panasonic's Nicest 709 VariCam LUT with basic lumetri corrections. All handheld.

The Aspherical version of this lens is indeed quite sharper fully open in comparison to the only S.S.C. 55mm. Sadly, it has also become quite expensive and rare.