Panasonic S1 V-LOG -- New image quality king of the hill

Andrew Reid

• 2 months later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hey guys, resurrecting this thread to see what your go-to color grading workflow is with the S1 and VLog.

Specifically, what conversion LUTS (VLOG to REC709) are you using, and what creative LUTS (or grading processes) are you using for professional results?

I have both the GH5 and S1, but because of my corporate workflow, I use custom picture profiles so the source footage is useable for others. I have tested the Panasonic Varicam and Ground Control LUTs for the S1 with mixed results.

I'd like to use V-Log more, and want to hear about y'alls workflow. I edit in Premiere Pro 2020.

@Darganslayer I also shoot with an S1 and GH5, mostly corporate and marketing talking head/multicam stuff. 95% of the time I use the GHAlex Alexa LUT on both cameras, shooting in Vlog. If, occasionally, it's not quite the right look, I use panasonic's "nicest" conversion LUT on the S1, which does a good job maintaining the dynamic range of the log image but pushes skin tones very red/magenta, and is not always the most pleasing look, or the Skye LUT, which approximates a Panny "natural" look,  designed for GH5 but looks okay on S1 with a few tweaks as well. 

Hope that helps. 

40 minutes ago, Parker said:

@Darganslayer I also shoot with an S1 and GH5, mostly corporate and marketing talking head/multicam stuff. 95% of the time I use the GHAlex Alexa LUT on both cameras, shooting in Vlog. If, occasionally, it's not quite the right look, I use panasonic's "nicest" conversion LUT on the S1, which does a good job maintaining the dynamic range of the log image but pushes skin tones very red/magenta, and is not always the most pleasing look, or the Skye LUT, which approximates a Panny "natural" look,  designed for GH5 but looks okay on S1 with a few tweaks as well. 

Hope that helps. 

Thanks, @Parker. I have used the Nicest 709 LUT with mixed results, I am going to check out the GH Alexa and/or Leeming LUTs as well. I did read that the Varicam are all look luts (Nicest included) meaning those should only be used as creative luts applied after a technical lut has converted to 709. Have you had this experience? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

been a while. I just picked up a Panasonic S1 from Wex and got it with the free Ninja V thrown in. Thing is it has the latest firmware on it 1.4 and... It's already got the paid V-Log update on it. A representative from Wex said only GH5 and S1H come with V-Log as standard. So, did anyone else get an S1 that already had the V-Log update unlocked?

Also, assuming there are further firmware updates down the line, now that I do have it unlocked am I at risk of losing it due to updating the firmware, or is it "baked in" for good as it were?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Lars Steenhoff said:

Once its unlocked it stays unlocked

Thanks, are you 100% sure of that, as this is the central question?

There are many reports on GH4 and GH5 cameras that entering the service menu wiped out the V-Log update on those cameras if not properly backed up. Since prior activation had been done and some users lost their original product key it was then impossible to reinstall the V-Log update even with a new key.

If I was in future to get my camera serviced would there not be the same risk with the S1 as with the GH4 or GH5?

On 7/14/2019 at 1:58 PM, Andrew Reid said:

Magenta in the WEX video 100% a result of their grade. Aggressive NR is = YouTube's compression.

So here are some ORIGINAL files to play with straight off my card. 1.4GB's worth.

https://we.tl/t-rELYefyjCr

These are 10bit 422 V-LOG / V-Gamut on default settings. I recommend avoiding VLC Player to look at these especially on a Mac. Messes up the gamma curve. They won't play in Quicktime either. Pop em in Resolve or your NLE of choice and give them a good LUT. I used Fuji's F-LOG to Eterna BT709 LUT which worked well and built in Premiere Arri Amira LUT in Premiere was a good match.

Lens: Nikon 55mm F1.2 AI with variable ND filter

Hi Andrew Reid,

I'm Gauthier camera assistant.

We organise our set up for our next short film and I'was wondering the weight of 1 minute video 4K 10bit 422 from the Panasonic S1 ?

Maybe you can enlighten me on this subject ?

Thanks you very much for your time 

Looking to find out a few things and was hoping some people on here might have some answers.

I personally own a GH5 and I am about to start a full time job where I am buying video equipment.

I am looking at getting the S1 with the sigma 24-70 2.8 zoom lens.

I was wondering how often people encounter moire with this camera?

Also curious about battery life and how many batteries you recommend for a days shooting.

Anyone tried this combo with a ronin-S?

Anything else you think I should keep in mind then let me know. Intend on getting the vlog firmware update for it and shoot in V-Log most of the time.

On 3/9/2020 at 1:14 PM, Gauthier Idrac said:

Hi Andrew Reid,

I'm Gauthier camera assistant.

We organise our set up for our next short film and I'was wondering the weight of 1 minute video 4K 10bit 422 from the Panasonic S1 ?

Maybe you can enlighten me on this subject ?

Thanks you very much for your time 

Hi, about 1-1,1 Gb per minute for 4k 10bit 422 mov

10 minutes ago, BjornT said:

Looking to find out a few things and was hoping some people on here might have some answers.

I personally own a GH5 and I am about to start a full time job where I am buying video equipment.

I am looking at getting the S1 with the sigma 24-70 2.8 zoom lens.

I was wondering how often people encounter moire with this camera?

Also curious about battery life and how many batteries you recommend for a days shooting.

Anyone tried this combo with a ronin-S?

Anything else you think I should keep in mind then let me know. Intend on getting the vlog firmware update for it and shoot in V-Log most of the time.

i never had moire in my shoots when i use 4k

1 battery is about 70-80 min of continuos shooting, i think with 3-4 you are fine. i use a powerbank for weedings to charge the battery in camera, so i need only 2.

i use the S1+24-105 on Crane 2 and Weebill-S and both are fine, later a bit lighter..

I find V-log is a bit noise in shadows, i use natural or flat profil, V-log only for greenscreen, where i have enough light.

21 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Yeah... 10-bit vlog is why I bought the camera in the first place. So to me it is important.

I am with you, the 10bit vlog is super, but you have to make a lot of color work after.

I some situation the flat profil also in 10bit is enough and the result are very good

1 hour ago, omega1978 said:

But a hole wedding in vlog, its not so easy and you have a lot of footage to grade after.

So you can't just throw a LUT on and be done?

Or convert to ACES?

Sorry I am asking so many questions. I haven't had enough time to shoot real-world video projects so I just want to make sure I am prepared for my next video job.