Panasonic S1 V-LOG -- New image quality king of the hill

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 hours ago, deezid said:

But the S1(H) has a serious problem: Blue and yellow color clipping which unlike the red clipping on the P4K cannot be recovered in post because there's no more data left.

Prepare yourself for lots of reshoots. :(

Do these clippings occur with artificial light or also with natural light? Artficial lighting can have any kind of strange light components and can always be turned off. All the blue clipping image samples looks like they involve led lights. Do this clippings occur also with natural situations like a good saturated blue sky, a green grass field, a nice yellow sunset, etc?

2 hours ago, 1Ale82 said:

Do these clippings occur with artificial light or also with natural light? Artficial lighting can have any kind of strange light components and can always be turned off. All the blue clipping image samples looks like they involve led lights. Do this clippings occur also with natural situations like a good saturated blue sky, a green grass field, a nice yellow sunset, etc?

The yellow clipping can be seen even on yellow blossoms in the sun. 

The blue clipping appeared in one of my clips with a colorful blue shirt in direct sunlight also.

Blue lights and logos in the streets can't be turned off in general. ;) The blue clipping also appears when something blue is shown on TVs, phones etc.

And it happens with proper exposure without any ETTR. It really shouldn't

2 hours ago, deezid said:

The yellow clipping can be seen even on yellow blossoms in the sun. 

The blue clipping appeared in one of my clips with a colorful blue shirt in direct sunlight also.

Blue lights and logos in the streets can't be turned off in general. ;) The blue clipping also appears when something blue is shown on TVs, phones etc.

And it happens with proper exposure without any ETTR. It really shouldn't

Hopefully a software issue and not a sensor problem.

2 minutes ago, Thpriest said:

Amazing that these problems happen in cameras aimed at the pro video market.

Mind you, I never had any of those problems with my GH5. Probably bought it with 2.0 firmware. 

Since firmware 2.0 on the GH5 the issues were gone.
Was shooting at ISO5000 even without any issues. Now I can only use up to ISO1600 :(

I have another shot at ISO6400 where the out of focus background is looking like it's floating around in slow motion, will upload that sample as well.
All caused by too much temporal noise reduction - it creates artifacts and only works when the image is static.

5 minutes ago, deezid said:

Since firmware 2.0 on the GH5 the issues were gone.
Was shooting at ISO5000 even without any issues. Now I can only use up to ISO1600 :(

I have another shot at ISO6400 where the out of focus background is looking like it's floating around in slow motion, will upload that sample as well.
All caused by too much temporal noise reduction - it creates artifacts and only works when the image is static.

If I understand you, you are talking about the S1. You can only shoot cleanly up to 1600???

Just now, Thpriest said:

If I understand you, you are talking about the S1. You can only shoot cleanly up to 1600???

Yes above that temporal filtering kicks in and messes around with the image.
I'd rather have more noise like on the Pocket 4K than a wobbly mess and trailing.

On the GH5 ISO800 was the max. ISO without it in the past. But now you can easily use ISO3200 without any issues.

6 minutes ago, deezid said:

Yes above that temporal filtering kicks in and messes around with the image.
I'd rather have more noise like on the Pocket 4K than a wobbly mess and trailing.

On the GH5 ISO800 was the max. ISO without it in the past. But now you can easily use ISO3200 without any issues.

Hopefully they'll fix that soon otherwise the camera is a no go. I was considering it as quite a lot of my work involved shooting in available light (1600-6400 iso). What a bummer along with the blue problem, looks like it is no good for event work (concerts, corporate, weddings).

3 minutes ago, Thpriest said:

Hopefully they'll fix that soon otherwise the camera is a no go. I was considering it as quite a lot of my work involved shooting in available light (1600-6400 iso). What a bummer along with the blue problem, looks like it is no good for event work (concerts, corporate, weddings).

It's really sad. This camera could've been fantastic.
The S1H seems to do the same processing and therefor has the same issues as the S1.
That means only recording RAW externally may help...