Panasonic S1 V-LOG -- New image quality king of the hill

Andrew Reid

3 hours ago, Geoff_L said:

I tried a Samyang 20 1.8 with MC21, and it was great. I returned it, because I want larger field of view, and I will order the 14 f2.8 next week (want this sigma 14 1.8... but my wallet and backpack don't). I also got an Haida VariND (love it !) !

What about this one? https://www.samyanglensglobal.com/en/m/product/product-view.php?seq=230

The 14mm is an "ancient" design with some flaws. I will be getting the 16mm the next couple of weeks but I am not going to have time to test it I think.

What about this Haida VariND? Is it any good? Do you have a link for the specific one?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, Geoff_L said:

Still waiting for mine to be delivered. I received a mail from Panasonic France on august 9th, saying I will receive it in a week (so I hope I will have it on Monday or Tuesday). But i believe the delivering method is country dependent. I tried a Samyang 20 1.8 with MC21, and it was great. I returned it, because I want larger field of view, and I will order the 14 f2.8 next week (want this sigma 14 1.8... but my wallet and backpack don't). I also got an Haida VariND (love it !) !
I have the 24-105 L "kit lens". Of course, not a character lens, nor extremely bright, but so useful range and unbelievable dual IS. I just tried the LINEAR focus mode with this lens. First time for me, and it is just wonderful. You can quickly change the focus adjustment range from 90° to 360°. I leave it on 150° and adjust when I need to have more or less range.

I am still discovering the camera (more on the still side for the moment), but I really love it.  Also, concerning cards, it seems to work well with my "old" Sandisk pro 95Mb/s ; I tried 4k 24 and 4k60, and I faced no problem. I hope it will be the same with the Vlog upgrade (I believe @Lars Steenhoff confirmed that), so it won't be an expensive cards eating machine. I may order a Lexar v60 to try.

So I guess getting this camera on Monday for an upcoming job by the end of the week is probably a bad idea ?

Still have my Sandisk Pro 95MB 256 and 128GB cards here, I guess they should work fine for video.

10 hours ago, Kisaha said:

What about this one? https://www.samyanglensglobal.com/en/m/product/product-view.php?seq=230

The 14mm is an "ancient" design with some flaws. I will be getting the 16mm the next couple of weeks but I am not going to have time to test it I think.

What about this Haida VariND? Is it any good? Do you have a link for the specific one?

Oh wow thank you, did not know this one even exists ! I had the 12 f2 on APSC, 14 f2.8 on FF and I tried the 20 1.8 FF, but 16 T2.6 FF could be the perfect balance. Very tempting. Unfortunately, I can't find a lot of reviews. Also, I was checking reviews concerning the 135 f2 and... what a lens ; they hit a home run with this one. Great for portrait, awesome for astrophoto. 

The Haida VariND I bought is named "haida proii-s mc variable nd". If I remember, I got it from ebay, as I couldn't find it in stock in "regular" shops. I believe this is it : https://www.amazon.fr/Haida-PROII-S-Filtre-variable-ND9-ND1000/dp/B00GUOPM26/ref=sr_1_2?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=haida+proii-s+mc+variable+nd&qid=1566116628&s=electronics&sr=1-2

When I bought it, raving reviews were everywhere, like the new Samyang of the filters world ! I also bought 3 filters from Haida (the same class if I remember well), but non-VariND ones as I wanted them for stills only.

Edit : just took an image of it

20190818_103927.jpg

5 minutes ago, Geoff_L said:

Oh wow thank you, did not know this one even exists ! I had the 12 f2 on APSC, 14 f2.8 on FF and I tried the 20 1.8 FF, but 16 T2.6 FF could be the perfect balance. Very tempting. Unfortunately, I can't find a lot of reviews. Also, I was checking reviews concerning the 135 f2 and... what a lens ; they hit a home run with this one. Great for portrait, awesome for astrophoto. 

The Haida VariND I bought is named "haida proii-s mc variable nd". If I remember, I got it from ebay, as I couldn't find it in stock in "regular" shops. I believe this is it : https://www.amazon.fr/Haida-PROII-S-Filtre-variable-ND9-ND1000/dp/B00GUOPM26/ref=sr_1_2?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=haida+proii-s+mc+variable+nd&qid=1566116628&s=electronics&sr=1-2

When I bought it, raving reviews were everywhere, like the new Samyang of the filters world ! I also bought 3 filters from Haida (the same class if I remember well), but non-VariND ones as I wanted them for stills only.

Thank you very much. I have an eternal crusade to find a good vND that do not cost north of 200€! I will check this as well. Breakthrough photography seems to offer the best solutions but it costs more than 300€ with taxes and customs.

I can not find a lot of reviews either, and not many people know that this lens exist, so I took a leap of faith! 

My gamble is that it is a new design, while the 14mm was never impressive anyway, and can be a 16mm in FF (pretty wide already!) and 24mm in S35 (love that focal length). Also a bit faster than the 14mm.

4 hours ago, Skip77 said:

That brings S1 body down to only $2200.

With a 24-100 F4 it’s 3000.

Not bad.

Everyone is putting stuff on sale right now, and with the Z6 refurbs going so cheap ($1800 with the 24-70/4) a $300 reduction isn't enough to get the S1 noticed. Panasonic's pricing strategy is still a little out of whack compared to the rest of the FF mirrorless world - outside of Leica of course. And they severely underestimated the importance of AF in this segment. They nailed the ergos and all the specs including class leading EVF and LCD and this camera just went nowhere, kind of like the Fuji XH1. The S line is forever going to be a small volume niche camera if they can't get AF issues sorted. DFD is going to be the downfall of the S line, which is sad because this camera could blow everything out of the water.

I do like the Vlog image. Looking forward to seeing what else the S1h brings. Of course if the Z6 raw update ever happens, that makes the S1 a lot less appealing. IMO.

Chris

14 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

Everyone is putting stuff on sale right now, and with the Z6 refurbs going so cheap ($1800 with the 24-70/4) a $300 reduction isn't enough to get the S1 noticed. Panasonic's pricing strategy is still a little out of whack compared to the rest of the FF mirrorless world - outside of Leica of course. And they severely underestimated the importance of AF in this segment. They nailed the ergos and all the specs including class leading EVF and LCD and this camera just went nowhere, kind of like the Fuji XH1. The S line is forever going to be a small volume niche camera if they can't get AF issues sorted. DFD is going to be the downfall of the S line, which is sad because this camera could blow everything out of the water.

I do like the Vlog image. Looking forward to seeing what else the S1h brings. Of course if the Z6 raw update ever happens, that makes the S1 a lot less appealing. IMO.

Chris

I read a lot about the pricing strategy of Panasonic, but isn't it related to the S1R which, if I am not wrong, is badly positioned price wise, regarding the A7iii or the Z7 ?

Because here, in France, the S1 with the "kit" lens is cheaper than both the A7 iii and Esor R with their respective 24-105 (around 100€ less vs canon, and 150€ for Sony). The price was always around this since the beginning (and we had rebates for the 3 cameras). It may be the different in other countries, but here, at least, pricing is OK I believe.

49 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

Chris

Only thing with the Z6 is you need an external recorder, which for me kills the appeal of a smaller camera.

23 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Only thing with the Z6 is you need an external recorder, which for me kills the appeal of a smaller camera.

If the Red patent gets invalidated, that may not be the case. 

1 hour ago, Geoff_L said:

I read a lot about the pricing strategy of Panasonic, but isn't it related to the S1R which, if I am not wrong, is badly positioned price wise, regarding the A7iii or the Z7 ?

Because here, in France, the S1 with the "kit" lens is cheaper than both the A7 iii and Esor R with their respective 24-105 (around 100€ less vs canon, and 150€ for Sony). The price was always around this since the beginning (and we had rebates for the 3 cameras). It may be the different in other countries, but here, at least, pricing is OK I believe.

The a73 and Z6 are considerably cheaper in the US. The S1r made no sense at its launch price. The a7r3 is even down to about $2500, which is pretty amazing for those more photo focused. But its not just the body, the 50 and 70-200/4 are more expensive than the competition. The 50/1.4 is $900 more than the Sony with its current $100 rebate. SMH.

Chris

53 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

If the Red patent gets invalidated, that may not be the case. 

The a73 and Z6 are considerably cheaper in the US. The S1r made no sense at its launch price. The a7r3 is even down to about $2500, which is pretty amazing for those more photo focused. But its not just the body, the 50 and 70-200/4 are more expensive than the competition. The 50/1.4 is $900 more than the Sony with its current $100 rebate. SMH.

Chris

Yes you are right, the prices of the lenses are crazy ! Also, I did not know for US prices ; now I understand. But, still, for me, as I am using Canon adapted lenses, Samyang MF, and I am waiting for the native Sigma L-mount, I did not take into account the price of those golden pany lenses. Yesterday, I tested AF with the 24-105 native lens, and it works just as it worked on my Z6 + 24-70s (But I have a very limited usage for AF, I understand that Vloggers etc. find its AF crappy). I really think the last firmware changed things for the good. I also tested eyes detection, and it seems quite OK for me. Of course, those were not torture tests ? But for a slow documentary style, narrative etc. it will be enough for me.

34 minutes ago, arson519 said:

So the S1 does not have Ex tele conv mode for video? because i cant find it this is what made the GH5 so good

It does, it's just called "video recording area" or something like that. You can go to an APS-C crop from full frame, as well as an even bigger pixel-to-pixel crop in 1080. 

Unfortunately, this crop function can't be mapped to a custom button, currently I just have it assigned to the custom menu, so it's a couple extra clicks over a GH5, but not too bad.