Panasonic S1 V-LOG -- New image quality king of the hill

Andrew Reid

On 7/25/2019 at 4:26 AM, Justforfun said:

The 4k60 on the XT3 has a slight crop but otherwise it was great IQ. The thing with Fuji was their lenses breathed so heavily and their pricing really did not make sense.

I guess you have to compensate with reframing or shooting wider than our normally would.

I remembered designing icons for AtomOS 9 for Flog, but I never got to use the camera when it was in the office as it was either being tested or we had to take marketing shots of it. But it looks good spec-wise.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Lars Steenhoff said:

More than 8 won't work.

Thanks again for taking the time for that confirmation, Lars, much appreciated!

I was a little too busy and excited yesterday at the prospect of having access to the VariCam LUTs that had I merely taken the time to RTFM on the matter I would have seen that this LUT naming scheme is actually covered in the S1 Firmware Addendum for the DC-S1 on page F-13 and confirms your "8.3" reporting "to a T"...

<<

• The following LUT data can be used:

– The “.vlt” format, which meets the requirements specified in the “VARICAM
3DLUT REFERENCE MANUAL Rev.1.0”

– File names consisting of up to 8 alphanumeric characters (excluding
extension)

• Save the LUT data with a file extension of “.vlt” in the root directory of the card
(the folder opened when the card is opened on a PC).

>>

...User Manual screenshot from that page below...

472919591_Screenshot2019-07-27at8_51_28AM.jpg.c58497700e6030ca0ca8225527822577.jpg

7 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

I wish HDMI never became the standard connection of choice for external output on prosumer cameras. Audio is almost always recorded on a dedicated device through either XLR or 3.5mm audio jack. What was wrong with BNC SDI? Please don't tell me it was because of HDCP ?

Probably it's the same thing you find in many other fields. For example I have a Ford Fiesta utility car. My father has a Volvo station wagon which costs new about 2-3 times as much. In my car for example, the doors have some kind of a shitty plastic handle which has an even shittier plastic pivot inside which on avarage breaks off about once every 3 years, making the door impossible to open. In my father's car the door is made only in metal and never broke. Now what's the difference in the manufacture cost of a plastic handle versus a metal handle? Probably 2 euro? Which in a 15000 euro car is absolutely nothing, but anyway in utility cars you find shitty plastic handles.

13 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

I wish HDMI never became the standard connection of choice for external output on prosumer cameras. Audio is almost always recorded on a dedicated device through either XLR or 3.5mm audio jack. What was wrong with BNC SDI? Please don't tell me it was because of HDCP ?

I'll not bicker connectors, I "get" the needs and desires for external monitoring and backup, I am more miffed that internal recording for all of the various provided formats and frame rates are not being provided for by the various camera manufacturers making it a de facto scenario (read: standard) that to utilize the highest recording capabilities (i.e. 10-bit 4:2:2 60P 4K in the case of the S1, with the other manufacturers offering their own unique and peculiar top-end caveats) it is mandatory to outfit one's gear with (which for some of us is) unmanageable and outright impractical-to-use-in-the-field gizmos and their associated dangling wires and bits.

I invite the CEOs and design teams of any of these companies to come and join me when I have to go thrashing about in the twigs and branches and snags in search of my subject matter. Haw! Camera lights and tripods and recording dongles...give me a break. Oofah. :) Camera, lens, hot shoe mic, thank you very much. Over.

• Administrators

Yes the image is playing in the big league.

Hard to show on YouTube. I've decided to self-host the video. I'll upload the higher bitrate version to Vimeo later today.

Here are my thoughts on it so far...

https://www.eoshd.com/2019/07/panasonics-10bit-v-log-on-the-s1-review-the-full-frame-eva1/

imo it is far too detailed, even shooting with the softest lenses this will still be too detailed. Looking at peoples detailed skin makes me unconfy and takes me out of the story quickly. Season 2 of "Dark" did this for me as well, I would see these big pores and I would feel Trypophobia coming up really fast. 

27 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

imo it is far too detailed, even shooting with the softest lenses this will still be too detailed. Looking at peoples detailed skin makes me unconfy and takes me out of the story quickly. Season 2 of "Dark" did this for me as well, I would see these big pores and I would feel Trypophobia coming up really fast. 

Good to hear ! I absolutely love the image from Dark 2 (maybe the Alexa 65 effect !) ? I loved the image from season 1, to a point that led me to reconsider my output when shooting videos (yeah, I am easily impressionable).

• Administrators
51 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

I said imo. There are no face close ups in theses shots, so I cannot compare. But the logs and leaves are already too detailed for my taste. It makes it look far more video'y then cinematic. But then again in my opinion :))) 

No, it's just what happens when you scale 4K in an embedded player over the web, especially on a phone screen or a 1080p laptop.

If you play the original 10bit H.264 on a 4K laser projector, you'd change your opinion of the camera.

18 minutes ago, Geoff_L said:

Good to hear ! I absolutely love the image from Dark 2 (maybe the Alexa 65 effect !) ? I loved the image from season 1, to a point that led me to reconsider my output when shooting videos (yeah, I am easily impressionable).

I liked the look of season 1 a lot more. (Story as well)

3 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

No, it's just what happens when you scale 4K in an embedded player over the web, especially on a phone screen or a 1080p laptop.

If you play the original 10bit H.264 on a 4K laser projector, you'd change your opinion of the camera.

Maybe but when will I be able to do that.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yes the image is playing in the big league.

Hard to show on YouTube. I've decided to self-host the video. I'll upload the higher bitrate version to Vimeo later today.

Here are my thoughts on it so far...

https://www.eoshd.com/2019/07/panasonics-10bit-v-log-on-the-s1-review-the-full-frame-eva1/

Andrew, is this your sub-200$ entry challenge?

?