Panasonic S1 V-LOG -- New image quality king of the hill

Andrew Reid

25 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

This is the last sentence I will ever read from you. Life is too short.

Lol, you even try to convince people that I've only tried AF on a Lumix camera, when it's pretty obvious I use Canon DPAF, instead of just accepting that some prefer MF. 

Im putting you on the ignore list now 

Nice to know people can bully other and then are so sensitive they have to put people on ignore.  

You defended the S1 and Lumix for not having good AF in this thread and then expect me to know you use Canon DPAF.  

I am all for anyone using MF all day long, I could care less. This message board is suppose to be were people share experience and comment back and forth about gear they used or might use. 

It's actually hard to find any conversations about tech or gear on this board because old school guys bring up cine gear and anything new is garbage, that includes the latest AF and expecting a $3K camera to have it even if it's Lumix. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi guys, just bit the bullet on a S1. Full frame here I come.

I know that the HFR modes suffer from a lack of manual exposure. Apparently, the camera defaults to auto exposure in that mode. Which is a bummer.

The question though is, does it also mess with the shutter speed? Or does it keep it's shutter at 180 degrees and only messes with the ISO and or Aperture. Well, I'll use manual lenses on a manual adapter so it can't do that. Will it start upping the shutter speed in that case? That would lead to motion artifacts.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

Oh and is there still an APS-C crop when you use the HFR mode of 48 to 24 fps?

Cheers!

I am also picking up my S1 later today. Glad and nervous - big shift. (And a return to Panasonic after a bunch of years away with Canon and Fuji.)

Looking around for VLog exposure guides (other than what is available for the GH5/-s) and happened upon this - https://na.panasonic.com/ns/253602_V-Log_Excerpt.pdf - which may not be anything new for many on this thread, but might be helpful for others. It was for me - some good reminders.

Curious about sharpening Vlog shots vs. the same shots in CineD or Flat - needed?

5 hours ago, Walter H said:

I am also picking up my S1 later today. Glad and nervous - big shift. (And a return to Panasonic after a bunch of years away with Canon and Fuji.)

Looking around for VLog exposure guides (other than what is available for the GH5/-s) and happened upon this - https://na.panasonic.com/ns/253602_V-Log_Excerpt.pdf - which may not be anything new for many on this thread, but might be helpful for others. It was for me - some good reminders.

Curious about sharpening Vlog shots vs. the same shots in CineD or Flat - needed?

Way to go on the big purchase.  What were you using before the S1 purchase?

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 7:39 AM, Brooke ZILR said:

How do you find the Fuji X-T3? It looks interesting for a 4Kp60 10-bit camera.

I loved the XT3. My only gripe was the lack of IBIS. I've managed to MacGyver my way into fitting the Ronin S on my backpack but unless I shoot higher frame rate and slow it down in post, all 24fps footage are almost unusable with my run and gun style. Even a simple pan reveal  shot. I had to part ways with it in favour of S1's better low light, great IBIS, and equally great IQ. I will still use the gimbal for more planned shots.

The 4k60 on the XT3 has a slight crop but otherwise it was great IQ. The thing with Fuji was their lenses breathed so heavily and their pricing really did not make sense. For example, my Panasonic 24-105 is only $200 more than the Fuji 16-55. Their not that much different in size and weight, but the Panny has OIS, longer reach, and macro capabilities.  

I will return to the Fuji once sort out my Panny system though. I would get the XT30 + 35mm 1.4 for street photography but in terms of video I am fully invested in the Panny S series.

EDIT: To stay on topic - I am still waiting for my VLOG key in Toronto. I don't understand why they don't just email us the key. It's been 2 weeks now. I mean it was hard getting over the fact that people from Europe was getting the upgrade for free while I had to pay for it, but for it to take this long is just annoying. I would love for @Sage to make a GHA LUT optimized for the S1 :) 

• Super Members
On 7/23/2019 at 7:27 AM, Avenger 2.0 said:

How about an event with multiple camera's that have a TOF focus system? Will they not interfere with each other?

Its fine, you just have to brief the camera operators beforehand.

ghostbusters.jpg.6b1db5c1fdeff9671a5ee3b892f24a11.jpg

Oh, I'm breathing again, the seller just mailed me : my unit is defective (see my images of the sky in a previous page). They send it back to Panasonic and I will receive a new kit soon. Can't wait... ? I must say this is quite a frustrating experience to get your hands on such a camera, but just for some test images !
All I can say for now is the handling and build quality are absolutely outstanding. I liked so much the Nikon Z6 body, but this one bring me closer to what I have always dream of !

On 7/24/2019 at 8:26 PM, Justforfun said:

I loved the XT3. My only gripe was the lack of IBIS. I've managed to MacGyver my way into fitting the Ronin S on my backpack but unless I shoot higher frame rate and slow it down in post, all 24fps footage are almost unusable with my run and gun style. Even a simple pan reveal  shot. I had to part ways with it in favour of S1's better low light, great IBIS, and equally great IQ. I will still use the gimbal for more planned shots.

The 4k60 on the XT3 has a slight crop but otherwise it was great IQ. The thing with Fuji was their lenses breathed so heavily and their pricing really did not make sense. For example, my Panasonic 24-105 is only $200 more than the Fuji 16-55. Their not that much different in size and weight, but the Panny has OIS, longer reach, and macro capabilities.  

I will return to the Fuji once sort out my Panny system though. I would get the XT30 + 35mm 1.4 for street photography but in terms of video I am fully invested in the Panny S series.

EDIT: To stay on topic - I am still waiting for my VLOG key in Toronto. I don't understand why they don't just email us the key. It's been 2 weeks now. I mean it was hard getting over the fact that people from Europe was getting the upgrade for free while I had to pay for it, but for it to take this long is just annoying. I would love for @Sage to make a GHA LUT optimized for the S1 :) 

you can also control your 4K 60 settings with the xt3, it makes a real difference to me

2 hours ago, Geoff_L said:

CVP talking about the firmware update !

Okay, maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but...

That CVP video clearly states that to install LUTs into the S1 that one needs to "...rename it so the name is no longer than 3-letters..." as seen beginning at around the 2:42 Mark here...

Full Frame 4K 4:2:2 10-bit - Panasonic S1 Firmware Update - YouTube: (t=162)

...however, this LUT tutorial from Daniel Peters clearly shows LUTs with names much longer than "3-letters" being installed onto the camera beginning here at around the 1:36 Mark...

How To Install VLOG & LUTS in LUMIX S1 on Vimeo: (t=1m36s)

...perhaps someone with the DMW-SFU2 S1 Filmmaker VLog Update can clarify as to the correct procedure for this? (I'm still waiting to hear back from B&H for my upgrade package!)

Thanks! :)

50 minutes ago, Jimmy G said:

Okay, maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but...

That CVP video clearly states that to install LUTs into the S1 that one needs to "...rename it so the name is no longer than 3-letters..." as seen beginning at around the 2:42 Mark here...

Full Frame 4K 4:2:2 10-bit - Panasonic S1 Firmware Update - YouTube: (t=162)

...however, this LUT tutorial from Daniel Peters clearly shows LUTs with names much longer than "3-letters" being installed onto the camera beginning here at around the 1:36 Mark...

How To Install VLOG & LUTS in LUMIX S1 on Vimeo: (t=1m36s)

...perhaps someone with the DMW-SFU2 S1 Filmmaker VLog Update can clarify as to the correct procedure for this? (I'm still waiting to hear back from B&H for my upgrade package!)

Thanks! :)

Oh, well spotted !

5 minutes ago, Lars Steenhoff said:

8.3 filename For the luts

so 8 characters plus 3 for the .vlt extension

Thanks for looking into that, Lars, much appreciated! It seemed a little odd that Panasonic would have required something so strange as a "3-letter" naming scheme. Any chance you have a source (i.e. instruction page of some sort) where that information is posted?

8 minutes ago, Jimmy G said:

Thanks for looking into that, Lars, much appreciated! It seemed a little odd that Panasonic would have required something so strange as a "3-letter" naming scheme. Any chance you have a source (i.e. instruction page of some sort) where that information is posted?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/8.3_filename

Not directly from panasonic but its an old file standard.

1 hour ago, Geoff_L said:

Oh, well spotted !

In searching out more information on Panasonic's .vlt LUTs I stumbled on Lumix Ambassador Bernard Bertrand's video where he mentions being able to use the VariCam .vlt LUTs with the S1, as seen here beginning at the 1:47 Mark...

Lumix S1 V-Log - 422 10bit - Firmware - When Panasonic strikes again - YouTube: (t=107)

The VariCam LUT Library page he shows in the video is located here...

Varicam LUT Library:

https://info.panasonic.com/varicam-LUT-library.html

I just finished downloading that collection of 35 .vlt LUTs! And here's a brief sampling of some of them from Panasonic's VariCam & EVA1 YT pages...

The VariCam LUT Library | Panasonic - YouTube:

So if this actually works out as Bertrand advertises then it's looking like there's a whole lot more to "look forward to" and "experiment with" when I finally get my key! Woo hoo! :)

Has anyone tried these yet?

42 minutes ago, Lars Steenhoff said:

8.3 filename for the luts

so 8 characters plus 3 for the .vlt extension

After looking at the LUT names I downloaded from that Varicam LUT library I linked to, it seems like that 8.3 naming scheme is not quite correct either...

1480219451_Screenshot2019-07-26at6_16_46PM.thumb.jpg.d9c7080f4e31524963915b198041e279.jpg

...hmm. :\

2 hours ago, Lars Steenhoff said:

some of those varicam names are too long, I tried them, no luck had to rename them to shorter ones.

If you can make the long ones work without renaming I will take back everything I said on this topic.

The good news is that they do work, because I have some of those loaded in the camera

I'll most certainly trust your personal hands-on experience here, and again, many thanks for looking into this and reporting back!

Puzzling thing, that "3-letter" report from CVP, though.

Great to hear that the VariCam LUTs work on the S1! :D