Panasonic S1 V-LOG -- New image quality king of the hill

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm not that impressed with the S1 yet, considering you can get beautiful images out of any camera those days... I think the colors still have an orange tint (all panasonic seem to have that since the gh4, even though it got better with time).

The video of the woman dancing, I find it awful (sorry). And the Island video, is kind of nice (not jaw dropping), but drone+Island rarely give you bad results. I'm sure it's a good camera, with nice ergonomics. The image might have more to it thanks to its good codec, but I can't tell from youtube or vimeo. There was one video of the S1 of a man walking in a small town in the moutains that was nice. But again the colors weren't exactly to my taste.

Right now i'm shooting extensively with the X-T3 and the image is so good and easy to grade in flog. No artefacts, no nothing (just a small banding problem in the sky, but I think it is due to Resolve). It's very close to the bmpcc4K image without the aliasing and the moire. The codec is not easy to work with but it's a strong one. I had one small issue with fuji, the waxy skintones. And they seem to have disappeared. Anyway, back to the S1 !

1 hour ago, Papiskokuji said:

I'm not that impressed with the S1 yet, considering you can get beautiful images out of any camera those days... I think the colors still have an orange tint (all panasonic seem to have that since the gh4, even though it got better with time).

Who makes the S1 sensor? Panasonic?

A side note concerning the Iceland video, as it has been made by a French guy and is accompanied by a blog post. He recorded it with a beta version of the firmware, and he explains that the point of the video was to put the camera to its limits in terms of acquisition and post processing. That is why, I think, he pushed the colors.

http://blog-gh4-france.over-blog.com/2019/07/mise-a-jour-1.2-pour-le-panasonic-s1-af-vlog-et-422-10bits-interne.html

Oh, and  by the way, he also filmed one of the promo videos for the S1 :

Edit : not sure the video above was a promo one

37 minutes ago, Geoff_L said:

OK, sorry, I couldn't resist anymore ...

300€ immediately off, 1 free battery (90€ worth), and the 200€ worth offered VLOG upgrade finished my efforts to resist...
OK, now I have to sell a lot of stuff ahah !

Hallo,

congratulations to your new and super cool camera! Here are my questions for you. Oh, man!:)

Does the camera provide 10bit HD with 100Mbit data rate after the update? Does VLOG work in 10bit HD?

cheers :)

36 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Hallo,

congratulations to your new and super cool camera! Here are my questions for you. Oh, man!:)

Does the camera provide 10bit HD with 100Mbit data rate after the update? Does VLOG work in 10bit HD?

cheers :)

OK I take note and will try ! I am gonna fill out the application form to receive as soon as possible the upgrade !

1 hour ago, Geoff_L said:

OK, sorry, I couldn't resist anymore ...

300€ immediately off, 1 free battery (90€ worth), and the 200€ worth offered VLOG upgrade finished my efforts to resist...

Congrats!

I wonder if Panasonic officially lifted the fixed price now? I see several swedish/finnish shops offering deals with ~$300 off for the body. I like it!

https://www.scandinavianphoto.se/panasonic/dc-s1-kamerahus-1043032
https://www.rajalaproshop.se/panasonic-lumix-dc-s1

I think this definitely a more reasonable price. The vlog looks great and hoping to get my current gear sold so I can purchase as well ?

16 minutes ago, andjo said:

Congrats!

I wonder if Panasonic officially lifted the fixed price now? I see several swedish/finnish shops offering deals with ~$300 off for the body. I like it!

https://www.scandinavianphoto.se/panasonic/dc-s1-kamerahus-1043032
https://www.rajalaproshop.se/panasonic-lumix-dc-s1

I think this definitely a more reasonable price. The vlog looks great and hoping to get my current gear sold so I can purchase as well ?

In France it is part of the Panasonic summer rebates, including GH5/s and S1/r if I am correct. We also have Canon, Nikon and Sony ones. Fuji, I believe, shortened the sales by stopping it before the official sales ending period they firstly announced.

You are right, it is a better price ahah ! I just checked the "competitors", and Eos R + 24-105 and A7iii + 24-105, with rebates/cashbacks, are roughly at the same price as what I paid for the S1 + 24-105 (3099€). Nikon Z6 + 24-70, with rebates and sales can be found for quite a lot less.  I got a free battery and free Vlog, Sony offers warranty extension and/or a free battery depending on stores, while Canon offers an adapter and sometimes stores double the cashback.

Maybe it is because of the difficult context for camera market, but nowadays we can find pretty good deals with patience !

2 hours ago, Geoff_L said:

I see you list the price in euro. Where did you find such good deal?

2 minutes ago, 1Ale82 said:

I see you list the price in euro. Where did you find such good deal?

Panasonic rebates are presented here : http://blog-gh4-france.over-blog.com/2019/06/offres-sur-gh5-et-s1.html

It is officially a "trade in" (not sure if it is the correct expression...) Panasonic offer, but some shops translate this as direct rebates. For example, on the above blog (a French guy sponsored buy Panasonic), there is a code to use in a shop (the guy is a partner of the shop) to obtain 300€ for S1 + 24-105, plus a second code for a free battery !

There is a "Eng" button on the shop's website, but it doesn't work ahah. I you are in Europe, you can contact them by email to check if they offer international delivery.

1 hour ago, Geoff_L said:

Panasonic rebates are presented here : http://blog-gh4-france.over-blog.com/2019/06/offres-sur-gh5-et-s1.html

It is officially a "trade in" (not sure if it is the correct expression...) Panasonic offer, but some shops translate this as direct rebates. For example, on the above blog (a French guy sponsored buy Panasonic), there is a code to use in a shop (the guy is a partner of the shop) to obtain 300€ for S1 + 24-105, plus a second code for a free battery !

There is a "Eng" button on the shop's website, but it doesn't work ahah. I you are in Europe, you can contact them by email to check if they offer international delivery.

Merci! I am from Italy, on the other side of the border of Briançon. Here we have a similar "trade in" offer from Panasonic, but unfortunately the VLOG update is not free     :rage::rage::rage:

5 minutes ago, 1Ale82 said:

Merci! I am from Italy, on the other side of the border of Briançon. Here we have a similar "trade in" offer from Panasonic, but unfortunately the VLOG update is not free     :rage::rage::rage:

Oh I'm not living too far (near Chambéry) ! Yes I read that concerning the VLOG policy... I can't understand why, as it seems the offer is available in many countries. Maybe you could check if the offer works by buying it in France ?

Even without VLOG, I'm loving this camera and floored by the colors and dynamic range. Here are a couple screengrabs from a shoot I was on yesterday, using the HLG profile. I'm very, very excited to get my hands on the log upgrade. I think this is the first time I've ever had a video camera where I'm actually choosing the DR I want scene-to-scene at my discretion, rather than being forced to deal with limitations of the camera. There's plenty of room in the shadows and highlight roll-off is silky smooth. Color me impressed. 

Yoga_5.jpg

Yoga_8.jpg

Yoga_2.jpg

Yoga_7.jpg

Hey all !

I'm super happy, because Panasonic gave me a special gift with my 1day old S1 ! I don't know how, but it seems they had access to my camera gear history and found I was a Nikon D600 user. Thus, they thought I would be happy to dive again in a dusty adventure with a camera.

Whoa, look at that ! They couldn't make me happier ! Plus, they may have reinforced static electricity, because 5 or 6 rocket blower sessions + 50 automatic sensor cleanings did nothing. Great, I do mostly landscape photography, so that will be easy to handle ?

20072019-20072019_sans titre_1-2.JPG

20072019-20072019_sans titre_1-3.JPG

• Super Members
18 hours ago, Geoff_L said:

I got a free battery and free Vlog, Sony offers warranty extension and/or a free battery depending on stores, while Canon offers an adapter and sometimes stores double the cashback.

Sony, Nikon, Canon and Fuji also include free Log in their cameras.

10 hours ago, Parker said:

Yoga_2.jpg

Yoga_7.jpg

These two are gorgeous.