Panasonic S1 V-LOG -- New image quality king of the hill

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

And this one posted tonight, but no mention of VLog...

Britta Treitinger @Walhalla @ Juli 18 2019 Tanzvideo Test for Look and Grading shot @ 50mm Canon 50mm f/1.8 on Lumix S1 on Vimeo:

...I am liking the late-day skin tone study...and, no sky banding! :)

3 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah but they are going to Have to do something with AF a lot better than they are doing now. That is pretty unacceptable in this day and age.,

Yes, the camera got kicked on internet for it's lesser level AF compared to the competition. But, still, I am probably going to buy one, cause it almost ticks all other boxes for me. I was looking at everything else : canon eos R, nikon Z6 again, Sony a7iii, 5D iii raw, fuji xt3, bmpcc4k... The S1, for my use, could be the best balance. For that, I am ready to sacrifice a bit of af, as I do not shoot high speed sports stills or critical one man band videos, weddings or vlogs.

I played with a G9 a month ago and, whoa, what an experience. Only the joystick is poorly placed if you have little to average size hands. Otherwise, everything feels great, I felt like a happy carpenter with the right tools !

9 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah but they are going to Have to do something with AF a lot better than they are doing now. That is pretty unacceptable in this day and age.,

Everybody knows about the AF compromises already. This sort of comment has been made hundreds and hundreds of times throughout the internet including this site. That's not what we are talking about here. 

I just dug the AF thing and, after watching videos, I can say it will be reeeeeeally sufficient for my needs. I understand V-loggers, wedding videographers etc. prefer to turn to Canon or Sony for that, but seriously, for occasional use of AF, and mostly MF for critical shots, I will be happy.

Richard Wong's videos were already posted, but this one gives good examples. In fact, not bad considering it was released before the new firmware update (tested by R.Wong) :

Kai's one gives examples too :

(No, I'm not resurrecting "digitalrev tv" ahah. I don't particularity love watching youtube reviewers, influencers etc. but those 2 videos give real world examples).

Ah, and the IBIS part of the Lock's video.... I can't believe how good it is ! Yes, the camera is big and heavy compared to competition, but whoa, what a result !

1 hour ago, Walter H said:

Everybody knows about the AF compromises already. This sort of comment has been made hundreds and hundreds of times throughout the internet including this site. That's not what we are talking about here. 

Oh I am so glad to added so much to the conversation. Thanks, your knowledge and inspirations are just Boundless. ?

1 hour ago, Mako Sports said:

Good god

Is that a "good" "Good god", or a "meh" "Good god"? (I can't always tell the difference between when someone is being facetious or sincere on the internet.)

As an S1 noob I'm very curious to hear both folk's positive and negative takes on the camera's performance. :)

31 minutes ago, Jimmy G said:

Is that a "good" "Good god", or a "meh" "Good god"? (I can't always tell the difference between when someone is being facetious or sincere on the internet.)

As an S1 noob I'm very curious to hear both folk's positive and negative takes on the camera's performance. :)

If it was a blind test I would guessed it was shot on something far more expensive. So I meant "good"

Waiting for my VLOG key to be ordered from the store!

I just started playing around with it, and the touch to focus in S-AF is much better for most situations anyway. For normal tracking to / from the camera, as long as your subject is moving normally then the C-AF is fine. These tests on youtube where they run around zig zagging, in and out of the frame, to try and prove a certain brand's superior AF is not practical in real use. I'd much rather take a great IBIS and "bad" AF, over a great AF but unsuable IBIS for my run&gun situation. And yes I do own a Ronin S and no IBIS can replace a gimbal, but mixing street photography and videography is hard to do with a ronin S in your backpack.

3 hours ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

Can the S1 do 10bit V-LOG on both memory cards simultaneously (for backup) or only one?

A great question that I'd like a definitive answer to myself as I wait for my firmware key, here's what I've discovered so far while waiting...

Simultaneous (backup) recording of videos to both slots is demonstrated at the 0:38 Mark in Panasonic's instructional video here...

Panasonic LUMIX S Series Camera Tutorial : Double Card Slots - YouTube:

However, that video does not cover a few important caveats that are found in the User Manual...

Caveat 1: On page 87 they state...

<<

Notes about Backup Recording
• We recommend using cards of the same capacity.

• When using the following combinations of cards, recording videos, 6K/4K photos, and recording with [Post-Focus] are not available:

– SDXC memory card and XQD card of 32 GB or less

– SD memory card or SDHC memory card, and XQD card over 32 GB

>>

...which, to my reading, is a rather convoluted way of saying, "Be sure to use matched capacity SDXC and XQD cards over 32GB to record backup videos?", oofah. And there is no mention (that I can find) regarding UHS I vs UHS II cards when it comes to matching capacities (as they recommend above).

Caveat 2: The S1's User Manual received an addendum addressing (amongst other new items) the inclusion of VLog where it states on page F-16 that...

<<

• When [Rec. File Format] is set to [AVCHD], [0-255] cannot be set.

• When [Photo Style] is set to [V-Log], this is fixed to [0-255] ([0-1023]).

>>

...(bolding mine) which, by my reading (again) means that VLog cannot be set/used while recording AVCHD? I'm not finding anywhere where they emphatically state that VLog is not available for AVCHD so perhaps someone with the firmware can verify/refute this?

Caveat 3: Where this is important is that AVCHD is the only format mentioned in the manual that cannot be recorded to the XQD Card (slot) and, so, again from the Manual on page 87...

<<

• The double slot function is not available for AVCHD videos, as these cannot be recorded to card slot 1 (XQD card).

>>

...so it would seem that backup/simultaneous VLog video recording should be available, except when using AVCHD...again, if someone with the firmware can either confirm or refute we'll all be the wiser?

That's all I've got. :)

Edit: Perhaps or host Andrew can move our OT comments to a new separate thread?

Are there already experiences if there is a relevant difference between the new 150mbps codec of the Panasonic S1 to the reliable and extensive tested 400mbps codec of the Panasonic GH5s? This for me seems the only deal-braker and downside of the Panasonic S1. Plus the missing time-code-engine and anamorphic shooting modes.

1 hour ago, Jimmy G said:

Caveat 3: Where this is important is that AVCHD is the only format mentioned in the manual that cannot be recorded to the XQD Card (slot) and, so, again from the Manual on page 87...

<<

• The double slot function is not available for AVCHD videos, as these cannot be recorded to card slot 1 (XQD card).

>>

...so it would seem that backup/simultaneous VLog video recording should be available, except when using AVCHD...again, if someone with the firmware can either confirm or refute we'll all be the wiser?

I have tested the dual recording function using avchd and the S1 records only to sd card.when you insert only xqd, gives a warning, that avchd can not record to xqd.