Panasonic S1 V-LOG -- New image quality king of the hill

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks for the footage Andrew. The V-Log, 10-bit update definitely looks awesome. Seeing different shots both under and overexposed is very helpful as well - seems that the V-Log and the S1 in general has plenty of space to grade and bring down highlights or bring up shadows. 

Love this shot which I took down more than full stop (-1.2 in Lumetri), added the Eterna LUT and some contrast and tons of details in the highlights. Held up beautifully and looks great. 

PanasonicS10.jpg

9 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

It's a Lot better than people that don't have one think.

The hardware is pretty robust, the software is only so-so, Lumafusion lacks color wheels and scopes among other things. Its a fine editor, its a poor color solution and there's really noting else in iOS at the moment. For fast turnaround stuff with just basic shadow/highlight adjustments and a LUT I really like it though.

As far as being on topic, the footage is really nice, I actually tinkered with it on my XS Max in Lumafusion. If the a7s3 wasn't on the horizon I'd probably shoot from Sony and get the S1 along with the new Sigma lenses, its a cracking camera.

Editing 10-bit on a phone, good times.

Chris

On 7/13/2019 at 5:49 PM, Andrew Reid said:

I think this is genuinely a HUGE step.

Rarely, do we get such a big leap out of nowhere like this. I've never felt like any other camera was anything other than just good, or expected in 2019. This is different. It's like having a full frame Pocket 4K with nobs on... from the future.

This image sits in the cinema world, not the video one.

I've shot some S1 10bit V-LOG with it this weekend. Here's a frame:

1D1A6808_3.jpg

1D1A6808_2.jpg

Compared to the X-T3 10bit F-LOG, dynamic range seems wider and shadows cleaner. Image is creamier, and less noisy at high ISOs. Base ISO is 640 in V-LOG, but extended ISO can go a bit lower.

Compared to A7 III S-LOG 2/3, the codec is far more robust, less banding and compression, it looks like ProRes.

I'll upload the original MOV files soon.

How does the S1 update compare to what you see from the Z6 ?  I like what Panasonic is doing with it's full frame line up.  Great looking footage.

48 minutes ago, Geoff_L said:

He seems to like the gradability, and he also tempers the "low bitrate" while insisting on the "gorgeous image". Still, it's too short, I want to see more ?

And curiously he claims the Vlog adds nothing more to the dynamic range  except perhaps malleability. 

1 minute ago, sanveer said:

And curiously he claims the Vlog adds nothing more to the dynamic range  except perhaps malleability. 

yes ! I'm really no expert, but I would be surprised that Panasonic offer such an upgrade with no substantial benefits on dynamic range, while this particular point is advertised as a "plus" of the upgrade (I also try not be too naive with marketing though ? )

2 minutes ago, sanveer said:

Actually I don't take Cinema5d's dynamic range tests very seriously, tbo. 

Hopefully someone who doesn't give the C300 15 stops (or more) or the GH5 10 stops, does a more balanced test. 

Ah you are right... Did they get into controversy at some point, forcing them to explain and justify their protocol ? I think I recall something like that...

They keep contradicting their own ratings. I thought it was only the A7s or A7sii, but as some guy in their comments section pointed out, many other cameras have random and erratic ratings. We even had a discussion here somewhere and someone curiously compiled a long list of cameras which he claimed were consistent, which it probably wasn't, since I just did a random Google search with cinema5d dynamic range chats and there were all sorts of contradictory results. Plus, I realized later, that while some of their charts were on other sites (like NFS), they didn't seem to have those charts or writeups. It was very curious. 

They just changed their testing software, hardware about a year ago. So all the "older" tests are outdated. Everything they have re tested seems to have gone down a stop or more. But the Arri seems to still be at the top of the pile, so it can't be too far off. They are calling it around 14 stops and that is what Arri claims they are.

So I think all the camera companies other than Arri have been pulling our leg on the real truth. I think BMD has been pretty honest also over the years though.

28 minutes ago, Geoff_L said:

The directors of Game of Thrones season 8 ? ??

or the dp of solo a star wars story ;)

glad it is better than the xt3 as it costs the double ?

better low light must be because of the bigger sensor.

too bad they don't have 400mbps like the fuji but i guess it would require a lot of space and would be tricky to deal with internaly.

curious to see how the S1h will be

btw i am still amazed by people doing image comparison on youtube and not vimeo, power of marketing and dream of being a yt star i guess