HELP- Sony FS700R- Where is the RAW option?

PannySVHS

Hallo friends,

I pulled the trigger and bought a FS700R. Now, where is the freaggin option for RAW output? All it's showing me are the obvious 8bit HD choices. Afaik the R model is does not need the hardware upgrade from Sony but should be ready to give me some beautiful 12 bit 2K and 4K raw output. So, friends, please let me know how to proceed. Do I need the firmware software updates to version 3.1 or 3.2?  Help is reaaaaaaaaally greatly appreciated. Help me out on this, please.

cheers

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • PannySVHS changed the title to HELP- Sony FS700R- Where is the RAW option?
19 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

The freaking recorder cost more than the damn camera, not counting the media for it.. Main reason I scratched it off my list lol. And it is built like a 4"x4" piece of lumber 2 foot long. You can buy a FS5 for less money.

You wouldnt guess for how little I got that beautiful body of a FS700R camera! :)

@BTM_Pix thank you for posting! Still, I don't have that RAW nor 2k nor 4K out option, which is seen at the beginning of the video. So question would be if a software update would be needed, since the infamous hardware upgrade should not be needed due to the R version of my camera.

Maybe software update from 3.0 to 3.1? Would be cool if any FS700 lovers could chim in and put some light into this. Thinking of @IronFilm, with his love for the beautiful F3. That is a pretty looking camera! But back to topic, I have the R version, so I should every reason to look forward to some fat n juicy 10 or 12 bit files!

Hmm, just saw in the Odyssey video, one can record proxies internally while being in raw beast mode! Right now very happy about my purchase, will be even happier to get the raw option figured out, will be even more happy to shoot some kewl video for it! So much happiness. Not just yet! :)

• Super Members
5 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

You wouldnt guess for how little I got that beautiful body of a FS700R camera! :)

@BTM_Pix thank you for posting! Still, I don't have that RAW nor 2k nor 4K out option, which is seen at the beginning of the video. So question would be if a software update would be needed, since the infamous hardware upgrade should not be needed due to the R version of my camera.

Maybe software update from 3.0 to 3.1? 

The firmware release notes are here but make no reference to it

https://pro.sony/en_KH/product-resources/software/1237493297313

At the risk of sounding blindingly obvious, is it possible that the menus only appear if you actually have a compatible recorder attached to it ?

Here is the full instructions for the Odyssey but the Sony end should be the same irrespective of what the recorder is so you can ignore the Odyssey part of the document.

https://vmi.tv/upload/pdf/FS700-Setup-Guide_v2_11_110-19Aug2014_1409134165.9053.pdf

I

13 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

The firmware release notes are here but make no reference to it

https://pro.sony/en_KH/product-resources/software/1237493297313

Exactely:/

Hopefully will figure out the trick soon. Like I said, no raw out options in the menu unlike shown in the pdfs files you linked to. For now, thanks for trying to put some light into the issue and sharing your great finds!

According to the manual that was linked above you need the HXR-IFR5 linked via SDI ... at which point the menu should change in camera

to reflect Raw recording. I assume the the HXR converts the signal so that the recorder can read it ... same as F5, F55 and FS7. So I assume that a compatible recorder when connected to the camera and enabled would bring up the menu settings:

Here is a video describing how to do this .....

https://nofilmschool.com/2014/04/sony-fs700-4k-raw-prores-convergent-odyssey-7q

Setup for Shogun:

http://107.182.239.236/media/Shogun_record_raw_Sony_FS700.pdf

AtomOS Raw:\\

Hope this helps.

FS700 Manual Raw Recording.jpg

7 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

The freaking recorder cost more than the damn camera, not counting the media for it.. Main reason I scratched it off my list lol. And it is built like a 4"x4" piece of lumber 2 foot long. You can buy a FS5 for less money.

You can easily buy an original Atomos Shogun for sub $1K!

Heck, you could buy a new Atomos Shogun Flame for sub $1K brand new. 

Secondhand OG Shogun could be as little as $500, and it will record from the FS700!

You combine this with a Sony FS700 for sub $1K as well, then good grief, that is hell of a combo for a very very temptingly low price!

6 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Sub $1K? How low?

Did you get it for Andrew's sub $200 competition? ?

5 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I think the only one they made a serious update Firmware wise was the Sony FS3 at the time. Maybe That is the reason it was cheap? I hope you did luck out though.

An "FS3" doesn't exist, I wish it did!

6 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Maybe software update from 3.0 to 3.1? Would be cool if any FS700 lovers could chim in and put some light into this. Thinking of @IronFilm, with his love for the beautiful F3. That is a pretty looking camera! But back to topic, I have the R version, so I should every reason to look forward to some fat n juicy 10 or 12 bit files!

I think the only active FS700 community at the moment is the FS700 specific subforum on dvxuser, but even that is pretty empty.

Thanks, guys! Will keep you posted. Been on vacation.

On 7/14/2019 at 4:04 AM, IronFilm said:

An "FS3" doesn't exist, I wish it did!

Yeah, would be cool, F3 form factor with LCD side panel. 4000 EUR price tag, for 2K only, FS7 codec and classic F3 color science :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hehe, found the separate video out option, sayin RAW 2k, 4k, yes!!!! Thanks guys and thank the guy who let this beauty go for the price! Now off to some Shogun hunting. Schools got broken a few days ago. Guess gotta become a RAW camera owner all the way now. Right now enjoying shooting and editing some weird personal piece in glorious 420 HD. Fun, fun, fun. :)

Guys, an offer I could not refuse. R Body sold for E body price, because seller didnt care for output capabilities and didnt know it had it.

Ironfilms guess sofore puts it into the right perspective. Now if you guys wanna talk about money, where do I get an Odyssey with RAW package for around 1K?:)

• Super Members
35 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Now if you guys wanna talk about money, where do I get an Odyssey with RAW package for around 1K?:)

This one doesn't specifically detail it having the upgrade but MPB have sold quite a few FS700Rs (they have 3 now actually) so its worth checking with them as they may well have taken it in with an FS700R kit originally and are selling it separately.

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-accessories/used-photo-and-video-accessories/used-other-photo-and-video-accessories/odyssey-q7/sku-863775/

1 hour ago, PannySVHS said:

Ironfilms guess sofore puts it into the right perspective.

Ohhh.... how far off was I? Up or down?

1 hour ago, PannySVHS said:

Now if you guys wanna talk about money, where do I get an Odyssey with RAW package for around 1K?:)

Don't rule out an OG Shogun, as they can be found dirt cheap, and have the basic capabilities to capture the 4K raw from a FS700 (although yes, an Odyssey would be able to get even more out of a FS700)