FS7 in 2019

Django

After much deliberation over my next big camera purchase, I finally ended up going for a used Sony FS7 mark 1.

This may come as shock to some as I'm known here as being more of a Canon advocate and was torn until recently in between a C200 & C300 II.

That said most of my paid work comes from a production company that uses mainly Sony gear so it kinda made sense to go this route.

Also it was simply a deal I couldn't neglect: under 500 hours with a zacuto loupe and tilta v-mount support for under 4000 euros.

I think the camera is still very relevant today with beefy internal XAVC-I 10-bit 4:2:2 codecs up to 4K60p, 180fps and a slew of advanced settings including LUT import and the elusive Cine EI mode. Add the XDCA module and you get internal ProRes & Raw external. It's also Netflix approved for those interested in that sort of thing.

So far 10-bit 4:2:2 S-Log3 has been a joy to grade. I keep pushing and colouring and it just doesn't break! Where 8-bit XAVC-S files usually start to look cartoonish, the IQ here is solid AF.

SOOC the skin tones don't hold a candle to Canon so I'll be mainly shooting in S-Log.

Overall I'm pretty thrilled with the purchase, I've been staying clear from Sony for the longest time but this bad boy is on a whole different level I feel.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

How do you feel about Log skintones? 

In terms of pure specs and ergonomics its def a great buy. 

coming from Canon Log, S-Log3 is a lot flatter and hence trickier to expose correctly (especially since you need to ETTR) and demands heavier grading. 

basically a lot more work getting the skin tones I effortlessly get on my Canons. On the other hand, you can push/tweak things further as the image is less baked-in.

so it's kind of a toss up depending on your skills/workflow. again the XAVC-I files are a joy to grade if heavy colouring is your thing. 

I'm sort of a newbie to S-Log3 so still a learning curve to adjust and I'm getting a new Atomos which should greatly enhance exposure aid etc..

Welcome to the dark side. I've been eyeing the FS5 as something a little more robust than my a73 (plus 10-bit) and right now Adorama has a stripped body for $2k. The raw upgrade, a few Smallrig bits, and an external recorder would come in under $4k total. But with 10-bit and 4k60p popping up in hybrids like the S1 and upcoming S1H - my preferred form factor - I can't pull the trigger just yet. There are some great values in used cameras a generation older than the current model.

Chris

7 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Glad you have come to the dark side as they say lol. Congrats on your purchase. GAS. There is a reason they are so popular, and relatively inexpensive for what they are.

yup FS7 aint industry standard for nothing, 

6 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Alister Chapman is the man for Sony FS7 stuff. He is a wiz at it. A Venice LuT he has for it Might help. He has lots of good articles on your camera.

http://www.xdcam-user.com/2018/05/venice-look-luts-for-14-stop-cameras-a7-fs5-fs7-f5-f55-etc/

@Django yeah I would try it out the Venice lut, I found it to be pretty good with the a7iii/FS5 should be even better on the fs7 since the 4K is 10 bit and Slog 3 is easier to grade. 

4 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

Welcome to the dark side. I've been eyeing the FS5 as something a little more robust than my a73 (plus 10-bit) and right now Adorama has a stripped body for $2k. The raw upgrade, a few Smallrig bits, and an external recorder would come in under $4k total. But with 10-bit and 4k60p popping up in hybrids like the S1 and upcoming S1H - my preferred form factor - I can't pull the trigger just yet. There are some great values in used cameras a generation older than the current model.

Chris

I pulled the trigger on an FS5 that one of my clients was selling not to long ago. He and I are friends so he gave me the family discount so I got it for $2,000. I would wait to see what the a7siii has in store as the fs5 is getting a bit long in the tooth vs the FS7. 

9 hours ago, Django said:

After much deliberation over my next big camera purchase, I finally ended up going for a used Sony FS7 mark 1.

This may come as shock to some as I'm known here as being more of a Canon advocate and was torn until recently in between a C200 & C300 II.

That said most of my paid work comes from a production company that uses mainly Sony gear so it kinda made sense to go this route.

Yeah, on forums we can go down rabbit holes of if X vs Y feature is "better", and thus if camera A "beats" camera B etc

But the practical pragmatic realities is cameras like the Sony FS7 is a workhorse that will pay your bills day in day out. 

Sensible purchase!

A Sony FS7 would 110% be on my short list to buy if I was still focused on the camera dept instead of sound. 

Add the XDCA module and you get internal ProRes & Raw external.

Also.....  TIMECODE!

Also it was simply a deal I couldn't neglect: under 500 hours with a zacuto loupe and tilta v-mount support for under 4000 euros.

Whoa! That is only US$4.5K, is rare I'll see them on eBay for that cheap. And to get it with some bonus accessories and almost mint with under 500hrs, what a bargain! 

So far 10-bit 4:2:2 S-Log3 has been a joy to grade. I keep pushing and colouring and it just doesn't break! Where 8-bit XAVC-S files usually start to look cartoonish, the IQ here is solid AF.

SOOC the skin tones don't hold a candle to Canon so I'll be mainly shooting in S-Log.

Overall I'm pretty thrilled with the purchase, I've been staying clear from Sony for the longest time but this bad boy is on a whole different level I feel.

I recommend looking into LC709a 

13 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

I pulled the trigger on an FS5 that one of my clients was selling not to long ago. He and I are friends so he gave me the family discount so I got it for $2,000. I would wait to see what the a7siii has in store as the fs5 is getting a bit long in the tooth vs the FS7. 

I'm definitely waiting as I'm in no hurry, gonna see what comes with the fall announcements - mostly the a7sIII. All the new sensor spec sheets Androidlad posts show the next gen will be capable of high frame rates with 30-ish MP sensors. Combine that with Sony's latest AF and 10-bit internal -- that's my unicorn camera. I'll buy two of them immediately. I shoot 50/50 stills and video and I'm always traveling, so I would prefer a hybrid over carrying a dedicated video camera + a stills camera + a backup body. I need all my camera gear to fit in a carryon bag. Its getting to the point where I'm also carrying a "personal item" smaller bag that's just batteries. The joys of run-and-gun.

Chris

14 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

Combine that with Sony's latest AF and 10-bit internal -- that's my unicorn camera.

And it will remain a unicorn, I doubt Sony will even give us 10bit external in a mirrorless camera this year, let alone internal! Nope, not happening any time soon whatsoever.

(meanwhile Panasonic has been giving that to us for YEARS!! How freaking old is the GH4 now??)

13 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

And it will remain a unicorn, I doubt Sony will even give us 10bit external in a mirrorless camera this year, let alone internal! Nope, not happening any time soon whatsoever.

(meanwhile Panasonic has been giving that to us for YEARS!! How freaking old is the GH4 now??)

True, im a total Sony Fanboi but I have a feeling the A7siii is gonna be a let down, just like the FS5mkii. 

I'm still feeling it is a good 50/50 odds as to if an a7S mk3 will even ever happen.

Is nearly 4 years since the a7S mk2 was released. That is forever in camera tech terms. How many more years need to pass before people will finally give up hoping for an a7S mk3?

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-russia-manager-says-not-all-technologies-are-yet-ready-for-the-a7siii-and-expect-an-a65000-successor/

Yeah as of late it is VERY un Sony like. There must have been a big shake up in the Mirrorless side. They were rolling over everyone for awhile. Now They are getting rolled over,. Very odd. It must have been they were starting to step on the Cine, Broadcast peoples toes at Sony.

33 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah as of late it is VERY un Sony like. There must have been a big shake up in the Mirrorless side. They were rolling over everyone for awhile. Now They are getting rolled over,. Very odd. It must have been they were starting to step on the Cine, Broadcast peoples toes at Sony.

its definitively because of the F55/F5/FS7 cameras that are keeping cheaper cameras like the FS5/A7s line from being truly great.

I and I guess just about everyone else isn't asking for 16bit RAW via the Sony XOCN Codec (Venice/F65/F55) to be placed in an A7s body. Hell with what I do (sports/direct to social media content) I don't even need the 12 bit raw like what blackmagic offers.

in 2019 asking for 10 bit 4.2.0 HEVC or 10 bit 422 H264 isn't asking for much imo XDCAM/Cinealta Managers need to relax. If you looking into buying an F55 then there's a really strong chance your not even considering an FS5/A7sii. 

Product segmentation is unavoidable. Sony really isn't that bad. Unlocked FS5 with a recorder can do up to 240fps RAW 4K which is pretty wild. 

A7III is what imo sent A7S3 back to the drawing boards. 

Codec wise yeah I wouldn't dream. XDCam managers won't let an A7 line get 10-bit XAVC-I. 

A7S3 will have a crazy sensor that'll choke everyone, 6K/8K support and a killer new body design with a flip out screen. 

That is my prediction.

Getting back to the FS7, thanks to those for suggesting that Venice LUT. It's an excellent starting point for SLog3:

1081914117_ScreenshotFS7ASSLOG3.thumb.png.8f871ab9f7e2355e90fba82581f690b2.png

1393229387_ScreenshotFS7ASVENICELUT.thumb.png.7edd5652d6becdac9bb079984f8fed43.png