xt3 arrived today

stefanocps

Hello i just got my xt3 and i feel a bit confused for so many things inside to learn.While starting to study i would like to have some info on accessories i would need

Cards: i have few cards, sandisk sdxc 1,, 10 and 3, 90mb speed(don't know exactly what the difference for the 2 standing) the other is sandisk sdxc 1 only 10, 30mb, then i have another sandisk sdxc 1 that only report a 3

So i suppose the first could be ok to use, the opther are not good enough

Usb c cable, is it worthy to buy it? A film cover for the display also is better to have it?

i have a bunch of minolta rokkor lens, what adapter would you suggest

I use XT3 for VIDEO!

thanks a lot

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

SD cards: either get the San Disk Extreme Pro 95MB/s, Sony M (260MB/s, 100MB/s) or buy into the really expansive stuff, like the best UHS-II cards. 
Usb c cable: do you need one? For Power Delivery most of them work, I wouldn't buy into the really expansive once, unless you use to tether which you don't, since you are into video only
Display cover: don't use one, no scratches. 
Minolta adapter: doesn't matter, it's just a dummy adapter, get the cheapest one you can. 

2 hours ago, stefanocps said:

about adapter...what about a focal reducer, is it worthy or i can go good with a simply adapter?

It will give you that extra stop of light as well as give you a full frame look. If that's what you like go for it. Unless you get a metabones tho the cheaper speedboosters do reduce sharpness. I do have a metabones I'd let go for pretty cheap. 

lens turbo is fine optically (actually the designer of the metabones said so himself), but the old version of the Kipon one wasn't. Never used that one myself, but the pictures you can find aren't really any good. Don't have any speedboosters any more. Dummy adapters for old glass, native af lenses and a few manual once with fuji x mount. over time using adapters becomes a pita. 
The decision speedbooster vs dummy adapter is
a) depending on your budget
b) depending on the angle of view you are looking for
c) depending on the lenses you are using with it. 

42 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

It will give you that extra stop of light as well as give you a full frame look. If that's what you like go for it. Unless you get a metabones tho the cheaper speedboosters do reduce sharpness. I do have a metabones I'd let go for pretty cheap. 

you say that if i buy this i need to buy a good one (metabones, not viltrox fpr example) otherwise it will spoil image right?

I think the money spent on a Metabones would be better spent on a Gimbal, or a Microphone, a lighting package, ND filters, even a damn good used tripod and fluid head unless you have lots of money. With no IBIS in a XT-3 you are not going to do a lot like say a GH5 can. You are going to be pretty limited without a lot of the above items.

Video is not cheap to do, and do it well. All the other things add up. Not saying you have to spend thousands, well you do, but in the beginning you can just add a few things at a time. A Metabones would be WAY down my list. More of a luxury item than a need. By the time you buy a XT-3 and add a Metabones you could have just bought a FF camera to start with now in this day and age. Seems silly to me. There are Millions and Millions of good used FF lenses out there. Not so many APSC Fuji ones, even other's that are real standouts. APSC is sort of the Red headed Stepchild of the industry. Only Fuji seems hell bent on it now.

But with the Metabones you can use FF lenses, so that is the conundrum. Ah to have a ton of money.

39 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

you say that if i buy this i need to buy a good one (metabones, not viltrox fpr example) otherwise it will spoil image right?

The image is softer for sure. Just depends how much you'll notice or care. 

I opted to buy Nikon lenses as I knew I could get a Lens Turbo speedbooster for them for cheap, which are pretty comparable to metabones. But yeah if you don't have a fluid head tripod that would definitely be a place to start. 

I'd highly recommend a used 18-55mm Fuji lens. The OIS is amazing. 

5 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I'd highly recommend a used 18-55mm Fuji lens. The OIS is amazing. 

Yes, that's probably the best lens to get started on a tight budget. It's cheap, optically good, has a great stabilization system and overall does everything very good. 

Just now, frontfocus said:

Yes, that's probably the best lens to get started on a tight budget. It's cheap, optically good, has a great stabilization system and overall does everything very good. 

Yeah you could kind of just use that setup alone for an entire shoot. Maybe not so much weddings but for narrative stuff. Obviously its not replacing a gimble but you could use it to get a steady handheld look. 

Its a shame Fuji doesn't put that OIS in their F2 primes. 

1 minute ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Its a shame Fuji doesn't put that OIS in their F2 primes. 

To be honest, I am happy they didn't. Those are small, light, optically good and still affordable. And stabilization will come with next gen cameras and IBIS. Once IBIS is in most cameras, OIS doesn't make sense with this focal lengths.

36 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Unless you are shooting sports or wildlife Video hardly ever has a need for long lenses. 85mm is even pushing it in FF lengths. You want Wide more than Long, at least at first.

People are Really not into seeing sheep on a hill 700 meters away trust me lol.

Don, please... I might be the only one into that I guess ahah (a trauma from Iceland I believe ! ) ?

44 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

i have 18-55, come with xt3

But i know il will need a longer lens

I am thinking the 55 200, or may be one or two good tele primes? 

Joke aside, during my Fuji love affair I played with my wife's 55-200 (I personally had the 50-140), and what a beast ! I preferred it to my big and heavy 50-140 f2.8.
The OIS is really great and the reach was very useful for our style : landscape/documentary/ nature photography + videography. We love to film (and photograph) isolated subjects or patterns far away, for example a beautiful small light on a big mountain wall, or reindeers mating on the toundra, while waiting for the auroras time ?  . For this kind of use, the 55-200 really excel. Only downside is the absence of kind of weather resistance, as we encounter a lot of bad conditions. Oh, and it doesn't take the 1.4TC. For long lenses you can try the 100-400, but it is... a real beast. I thought about a fringer adapter + a canon mount sigma 100-400 too.

I'm still debating between a Z6, a S1 and maybe a X-T3 ; if I go with the latter, the 55-200 will be with me, cause I really like those fluffy sheeps grazing in the far distant ?

not sure if the xt3 allows you to stop recording on dropped frames but if it does, you can try your cheap cards first. I have learnt i can use cheap toshiba 32gig cards in the bmp4k at uncompressed 1080 resolution with out dropping frames. that might be one avenue to explore while your testing.if your going with 4k right from the start you will need faster cards i think. if your looking at usb-c cable can you record to a samsung ssd ? they are by far the cheapest fast recording option at the highest resolutions for me in australia.

I  tend to buy middle of the road adapters, not too cheap, not too dear, but i still find a tiny bit of play in them regardless. so your mileage might vary. i would buy a cheap to cheapish adapter not more than $10-40 first, you can play with it and learn your lenses first then you will find what you do like and what you don't like and proceed from there.

not sure what the crop factor is on the xt3. However with the p4k its 2x crop so except for the 24 mm everything i have becomes a short telephoto and longer. like webrunner says its great, saves me walking up to the back paddock to see if the sheep have indeed lambed. I should know, had seven baby lambs born in the last two weeks. So its easier to go longer, going wider cheaply is the real issue i think.

has any said extra batteries or power options ? its easy enough to get around home with one battery for testing because you can charge it easily and do some thing else while you wait, however take it anywhere else and you might find yourself wanting an extra battery or powerbank perhaps fairly quickly.

you have a specific topic about xt3, you should look into it and post there.

first because you have all answers i am pretty sure and second because the answers will help the community and it is easier to have one topic that regroups all answers.

2 hours ago, leslie said:

not sure if the xt3 allows you to stop recording on dropped frames but if it does, you can try your cheap cards first. I have learnt i can use cheap toshiba 32gig cards in the bmp4k at uncompressed 1080 resolution with out dropping frames. that might be one avenue to explore while your testing.if your going with 4k right from the start you will need faster cards i think. if your looking at usb-c cable can you record to a samsung ssd ? they are by far the cheapest fast recording option at the highest resolutions for me in australia.

I  tend to buy middle of the road adapters, not too cheap, not too dear, but i still find a tiny bit of play in them regardless. so your mileage might vary. i would buy a cheap to cheapish adapter not more than $10-40 first, you can play with it and learn your lenses first then you will find what you do like and what you don't like and proceed from there.

not sure what the crop factor is on the xt3. However with the p4k its 2x crop so except for the 24 mm everything i have becomes a short telephoto and longer. like webrunner says its great, saves me walking up to the back paddock to see if the sheep have indeed lambed. I should know, had seven baby lambs born in the last two weeks. So its easier to go longer, going wider cheaply is the real issue i think.

has any said extra batteries or power options ? its easy enough to get around home with one battery for testing because you can charge it easily and do some thing else while you wait, however take it anywhere else and you might find yourself wanting an extra battery or powerbank perhaps fairly quickly.

hello @leslie

am i wrong or you saying that i can record on an ssd from usb c?  never heard this