Class Action Lawsuit Against Red

Ed_David

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, JurijTurnsek said:

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I saw your post on the RED facebook group, I unfortunately give you a 50/50 chance of getting booted out! ?

I've been banned from RED facebook groups for lesser "crimes"....

But I wish you the best of luck!

I posted it to a bunch of places.  If they ban me, that is totally ok!

On which point, I recommend people pop on over into the RED group and give Ed at bit of support in the comments as at the moment he is getting a lot of hate from the RED fanboy gang:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/35666868707/permalink/10157567243643708/

12 minutes ago, Ed_David said:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/true-ssd-capacity-gib-and-gb-vs-overprovisioning.2476952/ 

I think this is a pretty clear case, especially with the precedent set by Nvidia

Exactly! The Nvidia case makes a class action easier, not harder. 

I see your point now, this is some shady marketing for an already extremely overpriced piece of kit. Do they advertise it in SDD capacity terms or just in recording time capacity? If it meets the advertised recording times, then I don't see grounds for a successful lawsuit here. And besides, the compensation could be very small as was the case with Nvidia.

I am no expert and have just been researching this a little and it appears that the 480 gb drives do have 512 gb of storage. It appears that what happened was SSD drives were originally labeled with there full capacity of 512 gb but only 480 gb was actually usable for storage due to over provisioning of the drive. At some point SSD's and RED switched from labelling the drives with the useable data rather than the full capacity which is were this whole mess comes from. This has been explained in the numerous threads out there and if true would make your class action lawsuit unlikely to succeed since RED mags labeled 512 gb with an 480 gb SSD inside do have 512 gb of memory inside.

2 hours ago, dhessel said:

I am no expert and have just been researching this a little and it appears that the 480 gb drives do have 512 gb of storage. It appears that what happened was SSD drives were originally labeled with there full capacity of 512 gb but only 480 gb was actually usable for storage due to over provisioning of the drive. At some point SSD's and RED switched from labelling the drives with the useable data rather than the full capacity which is were this whole mess comes from. This has been explained in the numerous threads out there and if true would make your class action lawsuit unlikely to succeed since RED mags labeled 512 gb with an 480 gb SSD inside do have 512 gb of memory inside.

• Super Members

Well.....curiosity got the better of me so in the interests of this thread I've just opened up one of my original 128gig 1.8 RedMags to see what drive was in it.

619176329_REDMAG003.thumb.jpg.7062eabc98758cc88f42720935cb5e8f.jpg

780667925_REDMAG004.thumb.jpg.073a7cc8916ee71c5f1fe066bf9d244c.jpg

The upside is that the size quoted on the outside of the case is accurate.

So the new, erm, "policy" of labelling them with usable space doesn't apply.

Another upside is that if I want to replace the drive in case of failure then I can still readily buy it for about £20 ;)

I'd have to check back on what the KoolAid recipe was at the time in terms of the claims of proprietary internal voodoo controllers and the Made In The USA stuff being responsible for the eye watering cost of this off the shelf made in the Philippines drive that was a standard part in notebooks such as the Sony Vaio at the time.

The firmware version is +1 from what I've seen marked on other pictures of this drive (which are CJGA0201) but whether that means its a special (though I'd expect the prefix to be different) or just a later batch and the firmware was updated by Toshiba is open to debate.

Anyway, nothing earth shattering or unexpected but it was a chance to use my new screwdriver so it wasn't an entirely futile exercise.

3 hours ago, Mokara said:

The basic problem is that people are sueing or threatening to sue because they are ignorant about the technology involved and the terms used.

I don't know if I agree.  There was a succesful class action lawsuit against Western Digital in 2006 because of mislabeling drives as their total value, not as their usable disk space value.

Seems that there would need to be a disclaimer on the cards about this to prevent them from the same thing happening.