Critique some flares....

richg101

I'd love to hear some feedback on the newest development from DSO..    A streak filter for TRUMP, to work in partnership with oval apertures to get as close as possible to a convincing anamorphic look, without the complicated cylindrical elements.  

http://vimeo.com/75175593

Hans_Punk and myself have been beavering away in the development of this, and know there are a few weak points, but our intention is to create something usable, while maintaining the sharpness and ease of use by keeping things spherical and resorting to the dreaded crop:)

Priority is to nail the TRUMP module, but ultimately this technique will see integration into the FF58 and upcoming FF35mm and FF90mm

Feel free to be nasty!  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think you guys are getting close though. There is something natural about these, so much better then video copilot haha and the flare filter I got now just does one big fat horizontal flare so bravo for adding some nice subtle effects in there.

I would say Rich it would be nice to see the same test both with and without the filter so we can see what it adds and what flaring happens with the lens you are using.

I was going to ask about a wider and a longer addition to the FF lineup.  It's very cool that these are in the works.

These seem like the perfect answer to folks trying to do anamorphic with full-frame sensors and beating their heads against a wall.

This was our thinking.  Since the 5dmk3 got raw, and a really dependable 2.35 crop mode (using the full sensor width, and with numerous tele/sensor crop modes), in s35 fov terms the 58mm becomes these:

full sensor: 38mm

aps-c crop: 58mm

s16mm crop: 120mm?

the 35mm prototype we've been working on looks great on full frame.  ovals are very obvious (more so than we expected from a 35mm).  And speed booster on nex (and soon m43) is a real step up the ladder for this type of solution since they rectify the 1 stop slower aperture for ovals, and give the width gain you'd see from sticking an iscorama on the front.  while not introducing any vignetting on wide lenses.

@ Rob.  I'll be taking your TRUMP out for a spin tonight to check everything is in order and will do some side by sides with and without the streak filter.  Sorry for the delay on it.  I've had to do a bit of shimming on the infinity to get both the nikon and PL mounts working their best.

I love the flares from the overhead orange light.  Damn it looks ace!  The flashlight looks like a perpendicular CCD sensor flare.  Although I love how it looks once the flashlight is direct into the lens.  Keep it up, I definitely will be ordering a 35mm and 58mm when it's finalized!

thanks for all the kind feedback guys:)  and thanks in particular for the comments about the off axis flaring looking like a turned on its side ccd flare line.  this is mainly due to the flares being a little too strong at present.  once toned down these flares wont be activated until a more direct beam is fired into the lens.  Also, its great to see people seeing the full frame options - with raw on the 5dmk3 and the very nice in camera h264 from the d800, as well as the speed booster on the fs100/700, and black magic s35, the full frame sensor area certainly helps for getting wider fov and more obvious oval bokeh.   

This is a slightly modified, yet still a little over responsive module, and the last shot is a ff58 q1.5 with iscorama36.  as you can see, this module and oval apertures wont ever compare to a true anamorphic and nice taking lens, but since TRUMP isnt just for anamorphic, and even with the flare module is still less than half the price of an iscorama on its own, its certainly something I can see myself using when the added finesse from an irreplaceable iscorama isnt required:- 

http://vimeo.com/75365369