Sigma FP

JurijTurnsek

41 minutes ago, mercer said:

In some ways it does, but like @BTM_Pix has said, it also feels like a true successor to the original Pocket camera as well, but yes I used a similar workflow in post as I use with the 5D, so there is definitely a familiarity.

But I will say that the those extra bits of color info really helps the ML Raw image. It looks a bit thicker to me.

Needless to say, I still have some tests to do.

True there is something very unique with 14 bit RAW. So much depth to the image. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Not boring at all. In fact the complete opposite…and maybe, just maybe…

Now that I have made the firm and irreversible decision to remain with L Mount for a third year at least, I have the opportunity for something here myself and that is…

I am keeping all 4 current bodies (S5, S1H and 2x S1R) but hope to exchange these somewhere down the line for 3x ideally, identical next gen S line bodies.

I am currently in the process of offloading all of my current lenses except 2 Sigma zooms and then purchasing some new faster primes.

The only other lens I have been sitting on the fence over is the Pannyboy 24-105mm f4 OIS. The OIS part being the reason…with specific consideration to picking up an FP and making it my ‘fun’ camera.

Fun because I’m not sure how or even if I could fit it into my workflow, but that is not the point. The point is to scratch an itch. The FP itch. The question would be FP or FP-L…

28 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Not boring at all. In fact the complete opposite…and maybe, just maybe…

Now that I have made the firm and irreversible decision to remain with L Mount for a third year at least, I have the opportunity for something here myself and that is…

I am keeping all 4 current bodies (S5, S1H and 2x S1R) but hope to exchange these somewhere down the line for 3x ideally, identical next gen S line bodies.

I am currently in the process of offloading all of my current lenses except 2 Sigma zooms and then purchasing some new faster primes.

The only other lens I have been sitting on the fence over is the Pannyboy 24-105mm f4 OIS. The OIS part being the reason…with specific consideration to picking up an FP and making it my ‘fun’ camera.

Fun because I’m not sure how or even if I could fit it into my workflow, but that is not the point. The point is to scratch an itch. The FP itch. The question would be FP or FP-L…

Although, I couldn't possibly portend to understand what is required of a wedding shooter, I don't think I could recommend the FP for such a task, unless you were doing smaller, movie trailer type of wedding videos.

As I understand it, being a solo, hybrid shooter, your specific workflow requires a specific set of tools that you've worked out over many years, so nobody could probably tell you what's best for your specific circumstances.

With that said, the FP is small enough that you could keep it stowed away in a small bag and pull it out when you have some extra minutes to shoot some candid footage of the bride and groom. I'm not familiar with the 24-105mm but I cannot imagine any bulky lens would be fun to shoot with the FP. I found even small lenses to be a bit front heavy... of course I'm using vintage lenses where the adapters are damn near the size of the lens.

And with that said, I can't say for sure yet if I'm going to get along with the FP. On the positive side, the 4K 12bit raw is pretty nice, but I probably don't really need 4K raw and unless I can find a simple, ergonomic solution to the external SSD, I may find the camera too cumbersome to my sensibilities... even with its multitude of positives...

But that 4K 12bit raw image is pretty damn nice... and it didn't cause my computer to implode. 

59 minutes ago, mercer said:

unless I can find a simple, ergonomic solution to the external SSD, I may find the camera too cumbersome to my sensibilities...

I got one of those hotshoe phone holders, and put a T5 drive in it.

But my favourite solution is velcro on the top of the LVF11, and on the T5. With a bit of cable management, you barely notice it's there. This setup with a 35mm 2.8 Canon FD lens is a lot of fun to shoot with. Add a pistol grip for even more points.

1 hour ago, Anaconda_ said:

I got one of those hotshoe phone holders, and put a T5 drive in it.

But my favourite solution is velcro on the top of the LVF11, and on the T5. With a bit of cable management, you barely notice it's there. This setup with a 35mm 2.8 Canon FD lens is a lot of fun to shoot with. Add a pistol grip for even more points.

Are you able to share a photo of the rig with the SD on top of the EVF?  I'm curious as rig size is important for me.

1 hour ago, kye said:

Are you able to share a photo of the rig with the SD on top of the EVF?  I'm curious as rig size is important for me.

As it happens, I took the velcro off the vf soon after writing that post and have a new roll on the way. But here's a couple photos using an elastic tie (and 28mm fd) so at least you can see the sizing. With the velcro, you can position the cable a little nicer though, as the ssd is more stable and secure.

A32C94DB-E866-427A-95F0-62FBD28232F8.jpeg

98B815DD-1E2E-4E1E-BD9C-AAE61CE12888.jpeg

2 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

As it happens, I took the velcro off the vf soon after writing that post and have a new roll on the way. But here's a couple photos using an elastic tie (and 28mm fd) so at least you can see the sizing. With the velcro, you can position the cable a little nicer though, as the ssd is more stable and secure.

A32C94DB-E866-427A-95F0-62FBD28232F8.jpeg

98B815DD-1E2E-4E1E-BD9C-AAE61CE12888.jpeg

Ah, that makes more sense.  For some reason I was imagining the little electronic EVF accessory (EVF-11) and wondering how that worked!  

Yes, that is quite a neat package if that suits your shooting style 🙂 

7 hours ago, mercer said:

As I understand it, being a solo, hybrid shooter, your specific workflow requires a specific set of tools that you've worked out over many years, so nobody could probably tell you what's best for your specific circumstances.

Correct. Some folks ‘think’ they know, but like juggling chainsaws, it requires a bit of practice!

7 hours ago, mercer said:

I'm not familiar with the 24-105mm but I cannot imagine any bulky lens would be fun to shoot with the FP.

Unless you look at it as holding/using a lens that just happens to have a small camera body attached to it! 🤔😬

38 minutes ago, kye said:

Ah, that makes more sense.  For some reason I was imagining the little electronic EVF accessory (EVF-11) and wondering how that worked!  

Yes, that is quite a neat package if that suits your shooting style 🙂 

Oh yeah, with the actual EVF this wouldn't work at all.. Althought the same idea with a M42 ssd might. There's also this option, which is by far the neatest way to go.

On 4/7/2022 at 12:06 PM, Anaconda_ said:

I have exactly the setup you're talking about, and absolutely love it. It's so light weight and the footage is fantastic. I will say though, monitor on for external raw is well worth doing. Braw works pretty well in Premiere now, and you have the added benefit of changing the angle of the screen. I have my monitor mounted on the back, so to the person being filmed, it doesn't look much bigger or more intimidating than the actual camera without the monitor. Here's a couple images with a 28mm FD lens (also a very nice combo)

IMG_1267.jpgIMG_1266.jpg

Bingo!

This with the Lumix 24-105mm f4 for the OIS.

7 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

Oh yeah, with the actual EVF this wouldn't work at all.. Althought the same idea with a M42 ssd might. There's also this option, which is by far the neatest way to go.

I got one of these. It is a neat way to keep it super small and compact. Good for a very low key shoot. I wish it didn't block the HDMI port though. 

19 hours ago, mercer said:

And with that said, I can't say for sure yet if I'm going to get along with the FP. On the positive side, the 4K 12bit raw is pretty nice, but I probably don't really need 4K raw and unless I can find a simple, ergonomic solution to the external SSD, I may find the camera too cumbersome to my sensibilities... even with its multitude of positives...

But that 4K 12bit raw image is pretty damn nice... and it didn't cause my computer to implode. 

I've gone through a lot of experimentation with my fp L to find the right configurations. It's actually been one of the biggest things I enjoy with the camera is just finding new setups for different use cases. I don't really like rigs or things with cables everywhere so here is my cleanest setup with a samsung T5. I can screw in a rod extension with a coldshoe for mic/top handle when needed.

I recently picked up the DPL ssd rack and thumbgrip and it is even smaller and lighter. I recommend it if you want to go a small as possible.

062076083bb442f89a475721e2577759.jpg

P1001428.JPG

1 minute ago, amweber21 said:

I've gone through a lot of experimentation with my fp L to find the right configurations. It's actually been one of the biggest things I enjoy with the camera is just finding new setups for different use cases. I don't really like rigs or things with cables everywhere so here is my cleanest setup with a samsung T5. I can screw in a rod extension with a coldshoe for mic/top handle when needed.

I recently picked up the DPL ssd rack and thumbgrip and it is even smaller and lighter. I recommend it if you want to go a small as possible.

062076083bb442f89a475721e2577759.jpg

P1001428.JPG

Nice! I'm using the same handle, but in black. That DPL rack is pretty sweet!

1 minute ago, mercer said:

Nice! I'm using the same handle, but in black. That DPL rack is pretty sweet!

Yeah, I like the handle because you can keep everything connected to the handle, and just screw it on the camera in 5 seconds. No cage needed. 8sinn t5 clamp is nice because you can build off of the 15mm rod and also tilt the drive up or down if needed.

3 minutes ago, amweber21 said:

Yeah, I like the handle because you can keep everything connected to the handle, and just screw it on the camera in 5 seconds. No cage needed. 8sinn t5 clamp is nice because you can build off of the 15mm rod and also tilt the drive up or down if needed.

Smart, my natural inclination would have been to leave the grip on the camera and take off the drive. Your way is quicker. If you don't mind me asking... how much is that DPL Drive?

5 minutes ago, mercer said:

Smart, my natural inclination would have been to leave the grip on the camera and take off the drive. Your way is quicker. If you don't mind me asking... how much is that DPL Drive?

It's definitely the more expensive option all said and done.. Rack plus m.2 enclosure was $128, shipping was $49, and the sabrent 1TB drive was $130.