Sigma FP

JurijTurnsek

• Super Members
2 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

The other - more significant in my eyes at least - drawback is post editing. You have to use Sigma software and you can see the problem at the 10 minute mark of this video.

This is not true any more. The Sigma DP1, DP2 DP3, SD and SD H Qattro all shoot native DNGs which of course is editable in any raw editor you can think of.

The original DP1 and DP2 is also Lightroom compatible without shooting DNGs.

Another myth is that one must use a tripod. Obviously you don't need a tripod anymore than you do on a film camera. I've never used one, not once, with a Foveon.

Personally I have loved all my Sigma Foveon cameras and I'm in the process of buying the SD Quattro H to see how I like it compared to the regular Quattro.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

To be fair, the Sigma Photo Pro software has moved on a bit in the five years since that video not least with the addition of GPU acceleration although it is still slow in relative terms.

Some comparison stuff here :

https://sigmaphotopro.com/sigma-photo-pro-performance/

There is always the options of doing batch conversions to tiff or dng if you want to have minimal contact with it.

3 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Another myth is that one must use a tripod. Obviously you don't need a tripod anymore than you do on a film camera. I've never used one, not once, with a Foveon.

Personally I have loved all my Sigma Foveon cameras and I'm in the process of buying the SD Quattro H to see how I like it compared to the regular Quattro.

Yeah, the only time I've used one with any of mine was specifically for long exposure shots.

I'm curious how you get on with the H as I opted for the regular one because it was so much cheaper and I'd read that full coverage of the H sensor was an issue with the APS-C ART lenses so some of the extra resolution was wasted anyway.

I've always had a nagging doubt I went the wrong way though as, of course, I never did end up buying the 18-35mm etc in SA mount and the M42 lenses I put on it would cover it anyway.

• Super Members
6 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I'm curious how you get on with the H as I opted for the regular one because it was so much cheaper and I'd read that full coverage of the H sensor was an issue with the APS-C ART lenses so some of the extra resolution was wasted anyway.

I've always had a nagging doubt I went the wrong way though as, of course, I never did end up buying the 18-35mm etc in SA mount and the M42 lenses I put on it would cover it anyway.

I haven't received it yet. All the FF art lenses plus for example the 50-100 covers the APS-H so there are plenty of lenses.

I to went regular Quattro because of the price. But now it's a different story. Found a mint H + 35mm/1.4 for $850. 

• Super Members

I use DNG on the SD and the DP0.

I tried both against each other and didn't see anything that made me swap out the convenience!

Don't have that luxury with the DPxM ones but I have a bit of an offline/online worlflow for them where I rate the JPEGS and only copy RAWs of the worthwhile ones into a folder and then batch them in the Sigma software. 

Truth be told, I'm not averse to just using the jpegs either!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Super Members

So, I've been reading that Sigma had one of their new product introduction meetings at a small Tokyo gallery yesterday where people could have a look at their latest lenses and have free 60 minute rentals of them.

They also showed prototypes of the FP in various guises of flexibility.

It looks very neat with the 45mm f2.8 (launch bundle perhaps?) in the bottom picture and quite well balanced with the Loupe with the 14-24mm f2 in the top picture.

The middle one with the 35mm f1.2 looks a bit lens heavy though !

ECv13tYUYAAb6_l.thumb.jpeg.f17d64df1a22d690a3c3618408633be6.jpeg

ECv13rlUwAA2off.jpeg.10fafa2bf1e3596355d8029401d45fce.jpeg

ECv13p8UwAEvca2.thumb.jpeg.37d68590381b94936723da64bef69501.jpeg

• Super Members
50 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

That does look nice! Any idea on pricing yet?

Only that potentially drunken whisper I had that it would be ¥180,000/$1700 for the body and ¥300,000 in a bundle with the yet to be released 24-70mm f2.8.

That 45mm f2.8 is ¥55,000 so a bundle around ¥225,000/$2150 would seem likely if the body price is right.

I fully expect this message from my source though when the actual prices are officially announced though

rowley.gif.3252ebcf5827830f9f7fb60bb8d1845e.gif

11 minutes ago, KnightsFan said:

The small hole is actually to reduce the amount of material required, thus saving 0.23 cents/unit on manufacturing costs. It's the compromise they made in order to afford the 24p license.

The canon t1i saves even more money. It had an all plastic body PLUS only 720p at 24fps, which must have been substantially more cost effective than to compress 1080p at 24 frames every second. Of coarse canon decided to take a risk and lose some money in order to be innovative once again, so they added 1080p 24 to the t2i. Sadly this cost canon so much money that they nearly went bankrupt, and so they unfortunately had to remove 24p from the M6 II. Then scientists discovered that the earth isn’t round, nor flat, but actually is shaped like an octagon. We just don’t realize this because alien nebula waves in the earth’s atmosphere inject pathogens into our brain to trick us into believing this false view of a round or flat earth. 

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Sigma will have a working FP in its cine guise for hands on demos at the IBC.

I was a bit more "meh" than usual about going this year so this will make it a bit more interesting.

CineStyle_5-e1567141335566-683x324.jpg.30a8d83c8ab7eea794fd40e0838ac81a.jpg

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/article/sigma-participate-in-ibc-2019/

I was just looking at the product page more thoroughly and I really hope this camera is in my price range. Any new whispers?

I’m really curious about the 8 and 10 bit Raw and the director’s viewfinder function.