Sigma FP

JurijTurnsek

58 minutes ago, nathlas said:

You are Sigma designer.

You are about to release in few months the very first FF foveon mirrorless camera.

You know the disadvantages of Foveon technology ( huge weakness on video capture, severe weakness on still photography on high iso)

What you think to keep your clients happy ? 

You release a small not foveon body with same mount and same sensor size to be part of  a set with upcoming FF Foveon camera....FP will do whatever Foveon could not , body size is not that big to fit in your bag and suddensly you have a solution capable of everything.

And you also say, "Hey let's use the letter F for the camera that does NOT use a Foveon sensor!"

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
54 minutes ago, wind1414 said:

SlashCAM says video has a 1.5 crop. Any Info if thats true??

Slashcam refer to the crop as being in the specification 

"The Sigma fp will be equipped with a 35mm Bayer sensor with 24.6 effective MP exposed at the back (so not with a Foveon sensor like the Sigma Quattro). In the technical data for the camera, however, a crop of 1.5 is mentioned, which will most likely be effective in film mode."

If you look at the specification, the crop (or Clop as its spelt in the document :) ) is actually mentioned in reference to still formats rather than video.

So the crop reference is purely there is to indicate the resolution you will get in stills mode when you attach an existing L mount APS-C lens like the Leica ones or Sigma's own upcoming crop lenses.

I will have to resist all urges to refer to this as Jurgen mode when I attach an APS-C lens to it.

1435244139_ScreenShot2019-07-14at21_53_51.png.1b589517bbbdb34731198f777ac1278c.png

I'm super interested in this camera. It looks like finally after 7 years there may be a camera that can do what the 5DMk3 with Magic Lantern can do and more. About the only concern I have at this point is that the FP doesn't have an OLPF, the Z6 does. I hope it is a 1.5x crop, if not an option. Paired with the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 OIS lens it could be an awesome setup for doco and narrative work. With HDR it should be capable of around 14 stops like the 5D is with Magic Lantern dual ISO mode. 

• Administrators

Same reason Magic Lantern also offer 8bit and 10bit raw... Reduces file size and reduces cost of media as it doesn't need such fast cards. It's a form of compression basically.

Oh yes, it took 7 years for camera industry to deliver what Magic Lantern achieved on 2012 hardware :) Well done camera industry.

Give them another few months and they will even do playback in-camera!! And not in monochrome only!

I've wanted a small, affordable, uncompressed raw video shooting full frame camera forever.

30 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Seems pretty cool. HDR could be nice if done right. 

Pocket 4k still seems pretty unbeatable having 60 and 120fps RAW. 

And XLR :) 

Based on Sigma's pricing of their other cameras, and on the current FF cameras out there, I don't really see this competing with the P4K price wise. I'd be over the moon to be proven wrong though. That is until RED jump in with their lawyers ?

$999.00 would not surprise me. Like has been said, it is basically just a sensor in a box.  Off the shelf Sensor probably, little screen, no EVF, just a rectangle, no special battery tech,  no Hot Shoe on the camera, on and on, it can't cost that much to make it.

11 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I've wanted a small, affordable, uncompressed raw video shooting full frame camera forever.

Too early to call it the baby Alexa I’ve been hanging for, but judging by the specs and the fact Sigma is already in the Cine lens business, this camera looks like the ultimate crash cam for big budget features, and even a B-cam for low light shots, assuming the color science is good and rolling shutter is minimal.

1 hour ago, The ghost of squig said:

Too early to call it the baby Alexa I’ve been hanging for, but judging by the specs and the fact Sigma is already in the Cine lens business, this camera looks like the ultimate crash cam for big budget features, and even a B-cam for low light shots, assuming the color science is good and rolling shutter is minimal.

One of my goals over the next year is to do more still photography and the Sigma Quattro was at the top of my list because I love the rich color from Sigma cameras. Hopefully they can match that with the FP. But I don’t know how much the Foveon sensor plays into that with their stills cameras?

1 hour ago, mercer said:

One of my goals over the next year is to do more still photography and the Sigma Quattro was at the top of my list because I love the rich color from Sigma cameras. Hopefully they can match that with the FP. But I don’t know how much the Foveon sensor plays into that with their stills cameras?

The rich colors of Sigma are down to the Foveon sensor that captures full color on every pixel as opposed to 'bayer' sensors that only capture one color per pixel and then interpolates the color through processing.

One drawback of the Foveon sensor is poor lowlight performance. The other - more significant in my eyes at least - drawback is post editing. You have to use Sigma software and you can see the problem at the 10 minute mark of this video....

But the FP will be almost useless as a stills camera. Without a mechanical shutter, you will get rolling shutter rather like using a modern mirrorless in silent mode (unless it is a Sony A9.) Which means shot can come out like this.... even without subject movement.....

viet.jpg

16 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

The rich colors of Sigma are down to the Foveon sensor that captures full color on every pixel as opposed to 'bayer' sensors that only capture one color per pixel and then interpolates the color through processing.

One drawback of the Foveon sensor is poor lowlight performance. The other - more significant in my eyes at least - drawback is post editing. You have to use Sigma software and you can see the problem at the 10 minute mark of this video....

But the FP will be almost useless as a stills camera. Without a mechanical shutter, you will get rolling shutter rather like using a modern mirrorless in silent mode (unless it is a Sony A9.) Which means shot can come out like this.... even without subject movement.....

viet.jpg

Good info, thanks. Other than a couple production stills, I’ve never been a stills shooter. With that said, I probably wouldn’t use the FP as a hybrid, I tend to like to keep my equipment set up for one task. And if I do go the hybrid route, for stills and casual video, I’d probably go with something that has IBIS.

It will be interesting to see if the Foveon version will have a cine mode.