Sigma FP

JurijTurnsek

On 7/11/2019 at 1:50 PM, nathlas said:

Τhat means probably a quattro crop sensor camera is coming as well in 2020. Let's see how more Sigma could surprise us.

Doubt that, but they keep surprising me. From the interviews I have read given by the CEO, it seems they don't want to go back to the quattro sensor design. The new F sensor will be 1:1:1 design. I would think that an fp with APS-C sensor could be more likely than an APS-C Foveon.

Remember Sigma is firstly a lens producers. They don't need to make an APS-C camera to make APS-C lenses.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, majoraxis said:

What are the alternatives if you want the equivalent of Cinema DNG 4k 12bit full frame video recording?  and at what price?

I admit it, I have not done the research as it was not on my radar before this announcement.   I hope that those who were already in the market could share what alternatives there are that this will compete against.  I'm thinking that this is a good value (pending the price and total configuration cost to shoot Cinema DNG) because of people's reaction to the announcement.

Really it is only the full-frame cinema cameras that can do raw from a full-frame sensor. So: Alexa 65, Red Monstro, Canon C700, Sony Venice... And most of those need added modules or recorders. So, the cheapest full-frame camera that can shoot raw as of now is more than $35,000.

The Nikon Z6 having raw has been announced but not yet released. The S1H will probably have some sort of raw, but not known for sure. Then Kinefinity and Z-Cam have full-frame cameras coming out that can do raw.

The full-frame and Super35 raw output landscape will look a lot different in 6-12 months than it does right now, that's for sure. 

@ currensheldon - thanks for the info - I really appreciate the insights!

It seems like the less expensive FF Raw cameras will be using the same Sony sensor, so each one will have its key features and priced to sell accordingly, probably all higher than the FP.

So regardless of if the FP has all the features one would want. there will be another one around the corner to fill the demand. Its hard to image the RAW output from the same sensor in a different box will be dramatically differently, but may the best color science, feature set and pricing win!

1 hour ago, currensheldon said:

The full-frame and Super35 raw output landscape will look a lot different in 6-12 months than it does right now, that's for sure. 

Which is why I picked up a cheap used Samsung NX500 and am waiting and trying to be patient until I have a project set up that actually needs one of these new ones. 

1 hour ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

The game is rapidly changing. I am kind of hesitant to buy anything right now.

Same here. Between the S1 doing 4k60p and 10-bit, the Zed 6 + Ninja V doing raw, the FP with CDNG raw, and the S1H doing 6k and who knows what else, there's lots just around the corner. There will always be something new coming, but the bar is being raised as an explosion of competition in the FF mirrorless space combined with a rapidly shrinking market is forcing everyone's hand -- the days of low bitrate, 8-bit 4:2:0 are thankfully coming to an end.

Good times.

Chris

3 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

The game is rapidly changing. I am kind of hesitant to buy anything right now.

I have to agree, the only thing missing is global shutter and internal ND. I enjoy playing with new gear, but I may have to wait until the dust settles before committing to a new system.

Unless Canon blows it, their new pro body will likely be on my radar. How will Sony answer these new entries? Panasonic’s S1H is also worthwhile of consideration.

Will this new Sigma attract customers away from Panasonic? Perhaps? And now with HDR finally coming to hybrids... things are really heating up. The L mount alliance is starting to feel like a more comfortable investment. But one thing remains absent from everything within this union to date... AF that is up to Canon, Sony and Fuji levels of performance. I’m not sure that this new Sigma rises to the challenge?

17 hours ago, Brian Williams said:

I don’t see this coming in at cheaper than $2,000

A couple days ago I wrote in the Lens section that I was bummed out that Sigma joined the L-Mount alliance because I felt it signaled that they would not produce a camera with video functions. I had thought for a long time that they could be the first to offer raw video in a MILC. And then the next day they announce a FF mirrorless camers that shoots raw video.... possibly internally.

I think we’re witnessing a very specific strategy by Leica, Panasonic and Sigma to corner a very large slice of the MILC video market with an upgrade path for both lenses and cameras while simultaneously offering an alternative to Blackmagic. Think about it, Panasonic has too large of a user base to offer Raw Video at a BM price point but have definitely been affected by the competition. I can only imagine the loss of sales Panasonic has had with the GH5/s once the BMPCC 4K was announced.

Through the L-Mount alliance, Sigma can offer a competing product as Panasonic sells the extra features of the S1H

For all we know, Sigma could offer V-Log with the FP.

Either way, the FP and the S1H are the most exciting cameras on the horizon and if the price is right, and the internal specs, I may just move from EF to L by the end of the year.

Btw, do we know when the S1H’s full specs will be announced and when the camera will be released?

2 hours ago, mercer said:

I think we’re witnessing a very specific strategy by Leica, Panasonic and Sigma to corner a very large slice of the MILC video market with an upgrade path for both lenses and cameras while simultaneously offering an alternative to Blackmagic. Think about it, Panasonic has too large of a user base to offer Raw Video at a BM price point but have definitely been affected by the competition. I can only imagine the loss of sales Panasonic has had with the GH5/s once the BMPCC 4K was announced.

This is why I'm expecting (hoping) the price tag for the base unit to be competitive with the BMPCC4K. More expensive, no doubt, but competitive when you consider FF vs M43.

2 hours ago, mercer said:

Either way, the FP and the S1H are the most exciting cameras on the horizon and if the price is right, and the internal specs, I may just move from EF to L by the end of the year.

Btw, do we know when the S1H’s full specs will be announced and when the camera will be released?

I thought it was in the Fall I think Glenn?

4 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Sony and Canon want you to hold their beer. 

Who says I have to shoot Sony or Canon? The S1 is the best handling mirrorless body I’ve ever held and it’s not even close. It’s the AF that’s holding me back because pretty much all of my work is handheld or gimbal run-and-gun. Like I said, we’ll see what the next few months bring. I’m in no hurry to dump the a73 and switch from Sony, but I do like lots of what Nikon, Panasonic and others offer. Until someone drops a body with fewer warts than the a73, I’m content with what I have as I’m getting good results. First one to put all the pieces together gets my money. I hope it’s the a7s3 since Sony has the best lens lineup, but Sony being Sony there will be gotcha’s. 

Chris

I’ll hold my breath until the RAW is confirmed as not being a crop in from full frame, or at least uncropped 4K ALL-I at a good bitrate with LOG. 

I’m ready for high quality 4K full frame mirror less at a reasonable price, but I’m willing to wait if this isn’t the camera. Whoever does it first for sub-$2K will make a killing.