Sigma FP

JurijTurnsek

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, androidlad said:

ISO6 is intended for landscape photography.

So, if I make a few assumptions...   Assuming it does multiple frames to not clip due to overexposure, ISO 6 requires 16 frames, ISO 12 requires 8, 24 requires 4, 48 requires 2 and 96 can do it in one.  Therefore its base ISO for video will be 100, which isn't anything impressive at all.

I have an app for my iPhone that does long exposures by doing many short exposures and averaging them, which seems to be a similar logic to the low ISO via multiple exposures.

While I don't think this Sigma camera will be my A-Cam or B-Cam, or perhaps the most useful tool out there (the BMPCC4K and Fuji XT3 were fatally flawed in my eyes by battery life and this seems to be the same), it does highlight the reason I was very excited about the L-Mount and what the future will be. I usually use a proper video camera (now, EVA-1) and a second gimbal camera that can also take nice stills (now, GH5) for most of my work, but then also have a small camera for just walking around to take photos (now, the GX9). Based on my preferred image quality, I would use either Panasonic or Canon (Sony is out for me and BMD is nice, but no real photo cameras).

I've been wanting to unite my lens mount and the L-Mount definitely showed some promise. Looks like my GH5 will be replaced by the S1 once I get the firmware upgrade and definitely by the S1H when that is released. I'm guessing the next iteration of the EVA-1 will have an L-Mount option, which would be fantastic. But, outside of Leica (which is just too expensive for what you get), I didn't really think I would get a small, take-anywhere camera anytime soon - but Sigma has come through! And the fact that it may have even better video specs than the S1 is pretty amazing really. So the future looks like:
A Cam: EVA-2
B Cam: S1/S1H
C Cam (Take anywhere cam): Sigma FP

So far, the B Cam & C Cam are a pretty large upgrade from the MFT counterparts. Hopefully, Panasonic gives us an L-Mount cinema camera soon.

Looking forward to the future of the L-Mount. Hopefully Panasonic or Sigma step up with a lightweight F2 prime series soon. Sigma's lens "roadmap" seems to be just for their DLSR port-overs, so I wouldn't be surprised if they have a few more releases this year. 

1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

A FF Foveon is confirmed for 2020.

Yes, but will it be as capable a video camera as the fp is apparently projected to be. 

I wonder also about the quoted dr; At 12.5 stops in 2019... which is now a 14 plus stop world, is there room to improve this, or is it a limitation of the hardware?

• Super Members
6 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Yes, but will it be as capable a video camera as the fp is apparently projected to be. 

I wonder also about the quoted dr; At 12.5 stops in 2019... which is now a 14 plus stop world, is there room to improve this, or is it a limitation of the hardware?

1 minute ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah but will it be able to do video? Maybe not. Might be too much data to handle it.

No idea. I've had Sigma Foveon cameras both with and without video. Personally I hope they leave video out of it like they have on the Quattro. 

14 minutes ago, DBounce said:

I dont think there is enough financial investment in foveon technology to make it compete with cmos yet for sensitivity and speed. However, iirc, one obstacle was that foveon images required a lot of processing power to make images. If sigma sticks with Raw video, perhaps they could make a decent video camera by offloading that processing to post.

That really depends on how you measure. Sigma says 12.5 "usable" stops, which is where many current DSLMs stand now. We will have to wait and see the tests I guess.

Looks interesting at least, ie, not another 'near as same difference' camera.

I'm actually more than happy with my XT3 for video and XH1 for stills and the only thing lacking for me is IBIS in the former and the latest spec innards not in the latter, ie, gimme an XH2!

But this thing is at least interesting!

35 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

I'm actually more than happy with my XT3 for video and XH1 for stills and the only thing lacking for me is IBIS in the former and the latest spec innards not in the latter, ie, gimme an XH2!

I agree, bless the X-T3, its the one camera I've owned (out of, unfortunately, many) that has withstood the constant onslaught of 'newer-and-better' temptations, I almost feel cured of GAS.

This Sigma, though, may have to be a second body for me.

What are the alternatives if you want the equivalent of Cinema DNG 4k 12bit full frame video recording?  and at what price?

I admit it, I have not done the research as it was not on my radar before this announcement.   I hope that those who were already in the market could share what alternatives there are that this will compete against.  I'm thinking that this is a good value (pending the price and total configuration cost to shoot Cinema DNG) because of people's reaction to the announcement.

25 minutes ago, majoraxis said:

What are the alternatives if you want the equivalent of Cinema DNG 4k 12bit full frame video recording?  and at what price?

Other than a Canon 5D mk II, mk III using ML I don't think Any FF camera under 80,000 dollars can?? And I don't think even the Canon can just shoot continuous in 4K very long.

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah but will it be able to do video? Maybe not. Might be too much data to handle it.

No video for the Foveon FF. I don't remember where I read it but pretty sure I read it in an interview with the CEO recently.

If you want high ISO or video the fp is the one you need. Foveon sensors are limited by physics when it comes to high iso, so I very much doubt the new will be very different from the older ones.

If the Foveon ff had video and high ISO, why would Sigma need to make a FF Bayer sensor camera?

I really look forward to reviews of this fp camera and the Foveon FF next year.