Sigma FP

JurijTurnsek

Another interesting tidbit, it does 18fps in stills mode. If those are raw images, that's close to a9 territory.

From Sigma:

“Able to shoot whenever you want, wherever you want”―to realize this concept, the SIGMA fp incorporates a construction without a mechanical shutter for quiet shooting. This allows shooting without worrying about noise in a situation where one would have hesitated with a conventional camera because of its shutter sound. It gives no shutter shock even when shooting in quick succession at a frame rate of 18 frames/sec. eliminating even the tiniest shakes."

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Holy ISO range.

If this is possible in cine-mode, then it's basically like having an internal ND (in terms of light gathering). In bright conditions at ISO 400 and f2.8 (what I often shoot), I usually need 6-stops of light reduction (ND1.8). So... 400 > 200 > 100 > 50 > 25 > 12 > 6... well, there ya go.

Though, I'm guessing it is for stills only. And dynamic range probably takes a hit. 

D_Lb-IwU8AAVG7Z.jpg

Very interesting.

I see UHD CDNG at 100fps?!

I bet smallrig is happy about this. Will need minimum a cage, side handle, some kind of v-mount or NPF battery mount. It’s like really expensive adult LEGO K’NEX.

You could always run a long cable through jacket sleeve from pocket with a NPF battery in your pocket.

20 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Very interesting.

I bet smallrig is happy about this. Will need minimum a cage, side handle, some kind of v-mount or NPF battery mount. It’s like really expensive adult LEGO K’NEX.

You could always run a long cable through jacket sleeve from pocket with a NPF battery in your pocket.

I think all the frame rates were greyed out except 23.95 with CDNG in UHD. 

This is awesome! I'm glad Sigma has decided to make their own unique entry into this category. I've always said that the path to global shutter is through stills cameras without mechanical shutters, and it looks like this is a step in that direction. I can't wait to see how fast the readout is. The L mount alliance is (predictably) making huge strides with the "new" mount, with a slew of cameras and lenses now available.

Some positives that catch my eye:

1. HDR videos. I guess it's similar to some of the phone technology we've discussed.

2. "Sigma FP key specs will be opened to encourage support from third party accessory makers" has me really intrigued. Considering we saw it mounted on a drone in the video, perhaps there will be an open control protocol, either with USB or bluetooth? Or perhaps they are talking with Atomos about ProRes Raw? Dare we hope?

3. Can be used as a webcam. That is great and opens up some interesting options for tethered video shooting as well as live streaming.

4. Looks like they have a HDMI clamp accessory.

5. APS-C mode, always handy to have

On the other hand, I think there are some missteps on the FP. Maybe it's just a lack of information from the press releases, but here goes:

1. USB charging only when the camera is off. This means you need to use a dummy battery to use an external battery. That means no hot swapping, and more difficult to rig.

2. One thread on the bottom. Seriously, Nikon is the only manufacturer that decided to put even a locator pin slot on their cameras?

3. No 4k60. Oh well. I can't really fault Sigma too much. They are a smaller company, and Panasonic is the only manufacturer who does do 4k60 FF at the moment.

4. No LTC input. Would really be nice considering the cine marketing.

5. Those switches on the top might be difficult to use when rigged up.

6. Tiny, fiddly HDMI port

We'll have to wait and see if there is an internal 10 bit. H.264 seems disappointing, I'd rather see HEVC. One thing we can say though, is that it looks like Sony really is dead last in announcing a mirrorless camera that can do 10 bit, internally or externally. Panasonic, Canon, Nikon, Leica, Blackmagic, Fuji, and now Sigma with cDNG.

46 minutes ago, KnightsFan said:

3. No 4k60. Oh well. I can't really fault Sigma too much. They are a smaller company, and Panasonic is the only manufacturer who does do 4k60 FF at the moment.

KnightFan meet Video Hummus...

1 hour ago, Video Hummus said:

Very interesting.

and thebrothersthre3...

49 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I think all the frame rates were greyed out except 23.95 with CDNG in UHD. 

Whatever it is.... I hope its the latter.

• Administrators

Seems there are greyed out high frame rates up to 120fps. These are probably only for 1080p in Long GOP H.264.

I don't think Cinema DNG is internal, although you seem to be able to choose between 8bit, 10bit and 12bit... just like Magic Lantern ;)

Sigma's initial information is a bit unclear and we could do with getting a price sooner rather than later as well!

1 minute ago, KnightsFan said:

@mkabi All framerates are greyed out except 23.976 when in UHD CDNG, you can see it at 2:06 in the video above. And now that I think about it, they really should have 24.00 in addition to 23.976 if they want to call it a cinema camera.

Someone also said that they are going to add internal RAW later on.... hopefully they add 4K/120 later on too (via firmware update).

• Administrators

No, they're going to add internal CDNG PLAYBACK not recording.

No chance of 4K/120p in my opinion.

I see it does 25/30p in H.264 4K mode... So they definitely need to get 24p and 25p working in Cinema DNG.

Hope Sigma is listening to us and not to idiots.

• Super Members

With regard to power, the official page references an adapter for DC power so perhaps the dummy battery won't be necessary.

551965522_ScreenShot2019-07-11at18_09_33.png.2cef022409ee90a3935047771f3dbcb0.png

https://www.sigma-global.com/en/cameras/fp-series/functions/

The webpages are dog slow, possibly indicating that there is far more interest in this camera than Sigma were expecting !

I'm obviously curious about them saying they are will be providing open specs for people to develop accessories for it but, curiously, there is no reference anywhere to if the camera has WiFi or BLE.

1 minute ago, Andrew Reid said:

It depends on what is causing the greyed out frame rates... Early firmware? Region setting? User error?

I am sure it will not just shoot 23.976

Hopefully. 24.00 isn't even a greyed out option at the moment.

2 minutes ago, mkabi said:

Someone also said that they are going to add internal RAW later on.... hopefully they add 4K/120 later on too (via firmware update).

I highly doubt it, but it would be nice of course. With that enormous data rate, I don't think you would be able to do uncompressed Raw to SD or USB C at 4k120, even if the processor could handle it (which I don't think it can). If anything, I would say there's a slim, outside chance that Sigma could possibly drop a bombshell firmware update with 4k60 in a crop mode to counter new announcements from their competition. If they were pushing the envelope on specs to FF 4k60, I think they'd come out swinging with that as a headline.

1 minute ago, BTM_Pix said:

With regard to power, the official page references an adapter for DC power so perhaps the dummy battery won't be necessary.

Awesome! I totally missed that, but that's a HUGE bonus for usability imo. Or maybe the "DC connector" is actually just a dummy battery itself? I don't really see any ports on the body, though it may not be final design I suppose.

• Super Members
4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Foveon has amazing film qualities and colour, but they really need to sort the low light out before I use a Foveon camera as my main one.

Honestly, they can lock them in at iso100 for all I care. Been dreaming a long time for a base iso 50 or even 25 in a camera. 

The ISO 6 looks tasty even though I suspect it's a pull from 100.

It uses IMX410, just like Z6/S1/Zcam F6

Due to the removal of a mechanical shutter, flash sync speed is an appalling 1/30s.

1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

Honestly, they can lock them in at iso100 for all I care. Been dreaming a long time for a base iso 50 or even 25 in a camera. 

The ISO 6 looks tasty even though I suspect it's a pull from 100.

ISO 6 is achieved by in-camera 16-frame stacking.