Sigma FP

JurijTurnsek

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
14 minutes ago, Laurier said:

Dng are only on external recording, and no 60fps.

Once you buy and attach an external recorder it s not that small or (probably) cheap anymore.

Yeah, there is a lot more detail in the Newsshooter piece but still some confusion.

According to that, Sigma have said it records CinemaDNG to the Ninja Inferno. Now unless I've missed a firmware update to my Ninja Inferno, it doesn't actually support CinemaDNG so...

With regard to recording to USB SSD it states it is supported for high speed recording but says its unclear whether it will do CinemaDNG

If I had to guess, I'd say its far more likely to record CinemaDNG to the SSD but we'll have to wait and see.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/07/11/sigma-fp-a-pocketable-full-frame-cine-stills-hybrid/

I got this from the Newsshooter.com site, though they do not say where they got this information from, and I was unable to find it on the Sigma site, or anywhere else.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/07/11/sigma-fp-a-pocketable-full-frame-cine-stills-hybrid/ 
"Sigma is quoting 12.5 stops of dynamic range for the fp when it is recording in CinemaDNG." 

If this is the case, I am wondering what sensor they are using. 

• Super Members
30 minutes ago, kye said:

I'd also point out that it's a concept video, so this thread might reach a couple of hundred pages before we see a real item :) 

They are talking about a release in the Autumn so its not that far off but, yeah, I reckon if we all roll our sleeves up we can get to 50 pages before we even find out the price ;) 

• Administrators

Now that's what I call a pocket cinema camera.

Probably uses same BSI Sony sensor as the Nikon Z6 and Panasonic S1.

The DNG I hope is to USB C SSD drive. Not going to be very ergonomic putting a big brick of a recorder on such a small pocket camera.

Looks almost like an interchangeable lens Sony RX1 for stills... glorious.

Knowing Sigma I am sure the price will be competitive.

4K ALL-I H.264 nice to see for internal recording. Any idea what bitrate? Sigma LOG?

I see it has a Teal & Orange film style!!

I love Sigma. Now let's hope RED don't claim patent dispute over Cinema DNG.

• Super Members

Finally had time to read the article and luckily I don't have to pre-order anything until 2020 as I had planned.

"This is NOT the Foveon camera that will come in 2020…this is a “regular” 24MP Bayer sensor L-mount camera scheduled to be released in autumn!"

Big pass on the FP for me but it will be interesting to follow.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Phil A said:

I read somewhere that powering via USB is not possible, you can only charge via USB when the FP is turned off. But it's obvious there will be dummy batteries available.

Yeah, I was wrong with that assumption !

It uses Sigma's BP-51 battery which is the same as the Panasonic DMW-BLC12 used in the GH2,FZ1000 etc so there are plenty of dummy batteries available.

49 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I love Sigma. Now let's hope RED don't claim patent dispute over Cinema DNG.

If they don't do it over that then they probably will over the director's viewfinder function in it :) 

1634264123_ScreenShot2019-07-11at13_25_51.png.4d96e23a3979781cdd13088179cff835.png

Just read this in the press release: "Note: The feature of playing CinemaDNG footages in-camera is to become available via firmware update scheduled at a later date." - so perhaps internal raw recording is coming? That would be sweet and truly a pocket cinema camera.

As an L-Mount user who loves the S1, will probably get the S1H, I was really hoping for a small companion camera to take everywhere without having a different lens system. Even if just for that, Sigma has delivered. Throw on top of it all the cinema functions it seems they are packing into it, and I'm very excited.

Battery life will be terrible though... 

• Administrators
33 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Finally had time to read the article and luckily I don't have to pre-order anything until 2020 as I had planned.

"This is NOT the Foveon camera that will come in 2020…this is a “regular” 24MP Bayer sensor L-mount camera scheduled to be released in autumn!"

Big pass on the FP for me but it will be interesting to follow.

It's practically an interchangeable lens Sony RX1 with 2019 specs. Quite amazing really.

Going to be huge fun for stills, not just video. I say give it a go.

Foveon has amazing film qualities and colour, but they really need to sort the low light out before I use a Foveon camera as my main one.

Love the concept and its actually a pocket 4k camera, hopefully the image delivers. If its using the S1/Z6 sensor, should be high IQ. The electronic only shutter will be an issue on the stills side, but its a FF camera and its crazy small. Wonder if they can squeeze 4k60p out in a future update as well. L-mount just got a lot more interesting. 

Chris

• Administrators

Going to be a lot of fun with Leica M lenses.

It also has peaking.

Screenshot-2019-07-11-at-12.48.02.jpg

Screenshot-2019-07-11-at-12.48.20.jpg

For a lens manufacturer, Sigma are very brave showing non-Sigma lenses in their adverts :)

Screenshot-2019-07-11-at-12.47.51.jpg

Although that one might be a bit front heavy ;)

Screenshot-2019-07-11-at-12.47.47.jpg

That's more like it.

Screenshot-2019-07-11-at-12.48.20.jpg

Screenshot-2019-07-11-at-12.49.30.jpg

Got to love the animated GIF Cinemagraph mode ;)

The HDR shooting mode seems interesting as it is enabled for video and stills. Something that imo is long overdue for hybrid cameras. 

I was hoping for a Foveon sensor based camera announcement, but I suppose that will come later. Strangely enough, with it’s diminutive dimensions, this camera appears to be the spiritual successor to the original BlackMagic pocket. 

Foveon version please Sigma! I want a sensor with a bit of magic source. Give me a usable 3200 iso ... even 1600 iso and I’ll figure out the rest.

Also @Andrew Reid what does “Cinemagraph” mean in the second slide? I’d like to see a demonstration of that.

21 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Also @Andrew Reid what does “Cinemagraph” mean in the second slide? I’d like to see a demonstration of that.

It's a video/gif where only a very small part of the image moves and the rest is perfectly static. It's popular for social media.

Here are some examples: http://cinemagraphs.com/

EDIT: Also, here's a link to the press release as PDF
https://www.sigma-foto.de/fileadmin/relaunch/Pressetexte/SIGMA_fp/SIGMA_PR_EN_fp_1907.pdf

43 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Screenshot-2019-07-11-at-12.47.51.jpg

Although that one might be a bit front heavy ;)

Considering the fact it levitates, maybe not!

and taking into account the fact the levitation is transmitted to the lens, maybe we can all finally get the fast all-in-one zoom setup we've all been waiting for but didn't want to lug around all that weight.....