BMCC - looking for the widest option.

AlessandroSteri

Hi everybody,

i'm going to buy a Black magic Cinema Camera EF mount and i really need to know the widest solution i have for it.

At the moment i have a tokina 11-16  that is good on my t2i but it's not enough on the 2,3 crop factor of black magic.

Do you know if there is any wider solution for my camera that is not fish eye?

I've read about la7200, does it make a litte bit wider? it shoul be 1.33 times wider right?

and last question, my tokina has 77mm diameter, and i've found a good offer for la7200 but i've read it is 72mm what do i have to do?? i need an adaptor? will it work at 11mm or it gonna make vignette??

thank you so much!!

best

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If you haven't bought it yet get the MFT mount instead and a Metabones Speed Booster and you're back in business with the 11-16mm (assuming appropriate adapter can be worked out).  

The LA7200 can be used with wider lenses than just about any other anamorphic adapter.  It's worth a shot though 11mm is wider than I've ever read being compatible.  You should check out the anamorphic forum and study up on the diopters you're going to need to make it feasible though.  You're better off buying a Speed Booster and getting more FOV that way, if you can change your order from EF to MFT.  

An LA7200 is going to cost well over a thousand dollars, until something like the SLR Magic anamorphic lens is for sale and when that happens there will be little reason to spend $1500 on a used LA7200 when you could spend that on a new adapter that doesn't absolutely require diopters to be useful for nominal shooting.  You could easily spend as much as the price of a brand new BMCC on an LA7200 and the necessary diopters.  A Speed Booster is under $500.

Yeah, now that it's a reality (the Speed Booster) it turns a BMCC into an effective 22mm sensor, right in the ballpark of Super-35mm (in the sense that the 7D and other APS-C sensors are often claimed to be S35 equivalent).  With the drop in price on the 2.5K BMCC it kinda seems like a no brainer.  Especially if you need to get to a FOV equivalent to a true, cinematic wide.  You start having to dip into the below 12mm category and the prices get really ugly, really fast.

Heh, it does mean you'll want an extra stop of ND for daylight shooting though ;)

I also would recommend the BMCC MFT mount + Speedbooster. The MFT Speedbooster has more sharpness in the edges then the EF version. Here it works great too with the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 non vc. The Nikkor AF-S 12-24mm F4.0 G IF-ED seems to be a little soft with the setup though.

I also would recommend the BMCC MFT mount + Speedbooster. The MFT Speedbooster has more sharpness in the edges then the EF version. Here it works great too with the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 non vc. The Nikkor AF-S 12-24mm F4.0 G IF-ED seems to be a little soft with the setup though.

The softness could be the lens itself, unless you've done comparative testing with the same lens on a true APS-C camera (in the case of evaluating a given lens on a Speed Boosted BMCC).

• 4 months later...

BMCC passive mount. Only works on the BMPCC.

My go to wide is on MFT BMCC + Tokina 11-16/2.8 + MFT>NIK SpeedBooster. It's as rectilinear wide as you're going to get before going fishing.

I really need a wide lens been researching a ton, almost bought the Tokina 11-16. The only problem I found and correct me if im wrong was that the lens doesnt have a manual aperature control and you cannot change the aperature from the BMCC MFT version not even with the speedbooster. Bottom line how would you be able to change the aperature with this lens without putting it on a BMCC EF version? Please help! ^.^

I'm confused, the speedbooster takes a m43 camera and allow you to adapt a vintage Nikon or Canon piece of glass. What if you want to attach your m43 lenses to a speedbooster for your bmpcc? Do they make a m43 only speedbooster? I can't find them. All the speedboosters seem to convert to something other than m43. I just want to stay in m43 world and get the perk of the wider FOV and speed the speedbooster affords us. 

@brianl a m43 Speedbooster is impossible. 

The idea is that you take a lens made for larger sensors (full-frame or APS-C) and make it work on a smaller sensor with a piece of glass that focuses the light on a smaller area

Maybe you can do a special version of Speedbooster that will do the same thing for m43 lenses but on a m43 body (GH3, OMD M1 and others), the lens will heavily vignette