The Panasonic S1 codec upgrade is out now - update to firmware 1.2 and redeam code

Andrew Reid

5 hours ago, Pedro said:

How about the slow motion limitations, has anyone manage to find how to have shutter and ISO control when recording at high frame rates?

?

to me it is the main wickness of this camera, you cannot claim it is a cinema camera and not let fully control the settings

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Sure, so the first thing I need at 180fps is to select 1/50 shutter manually ?

Think.

Why do you need manual controls in HFR mode? The ISO and shutter speed are going to be the same whether the camera sets it or you do.

It is going to use the shutter speed most suitable for the frame rate, and the lowest ISO it can get away with in order to expose brightly enough for the available light.

And you have an override with the exposure compensation dial to fine tune exposure anyway.

So yeah, it's not perfect and could be better but do you want perfectly exposed 180fps full frame images or not?

All due respect Andrew, its hard to wrap my head around such limitation for a hight end camera coming from Panasonic. 
Its not the 180 rule that bothers me, it's why oh why is there such a limitation in the first place, and secondly, on the technical side, the dread of having clips auto exposing mid shot. ?

Does the G9 or any other newer model have this control limitation (newer that my gh2)?
Am I being too harsh on thinking panasonic is playing "the canon hand" here, and protecting the S1H sales... (which they are not, because most can't afford 4000 euros body only, and they will just go get the a7III and forget about 10bit).

I am a wedding videographer, that is pretty much it, but I would love to do other kind of work... thats why 10bit 4.2.2 and 14 stops makes me want this camera (by the way  It's not a full time job, so I am not a pro ? )
Anyway like any mortal, I have a weak spot for shallow depth of field and this is where the FF is the next step for me and that is why m4/3 isn't.

I hate the ergonomics of my a6500, the color sucks, the rolling shutter on a tele lens makes people faces wobble when they jump or dance to fast... But hey, when there is no time to mount the ND I rather expose using high shutter speeds and keeping my aperture where i want it to be, and if the shot its overexposed for a second or so, well, I rather have that than the camera moving my exposure in a middle of a take ( the camera "auto settings look" - which is painful to deal with in post / color correction as well) .

I had such high hopes on this system, and I really like panasonic as a brand, the ergonomics are right, the size is right the IBIS is a dream for my m42 collection, the colour not so good but Vlog seems promising... but If I am finally moving up and spending so much money on a body that wont be able easily replicate a shot that I do so often in my a6500 its not acceptable.

Cheers! 

10 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Sure, so the first thing I need at 180fps is to select 1/50 shutter manually ?

Think.

Why do you need manual controls in HFR mode? The ISO and shutter speed are going to be the same whether the camera sets it or you do.

It is going to use the shutter speed most suitable for the frame rate, and the lowest ISO it can get away with in order to expose brightly enough for the available light.

And you have an override with the exposure compensation dial to fine tune exposure anyway.

So yeah, it's not perfect and could be better but do you want perfectly exposed 180fps full frame images or not?

i disagree andrew, sometimes on hfr you want to get a bit of movement blur and you can set the shutter to a slower speed than the 180 degres rule or higher if you need to.

so yes i do think about the result i want ;)

like for 60fps you go 1/100 or 1/96 instead of 1/120

if i follow your thinking all cameras should be automatic, are reds, arri and others automatic ?

• 4 weeks later...

Question for S1 owners: I'm testing the Timelapse features and wondering what the bit depth & colour space is for video file created in camera. I used to have to import all files in Lightroom, do adjustments then export to folder then import to Quicktime then export as video file.

As I'll be mixing the timelapses with V-log 10-bit 422 footage shot with same camera it'd be nice if video file created in camera has same properties but I'm guessing no as options are only resolution and frame rates.

Or, anyone know an app where I can read video properties? 

Thanks 

1 hour ago, liamlumiere said:

Question for S1 owners: I'm testing the Timelapse features and wondering what the bit depth & colour space is for video file created in camera. I used to have to import all files in Lightroom, do adjustments then export to folder then import to Quicktime then export as video file.

As I'll be mixing the timelapses with V-log 10-bit 422 footage shot with same camera it'd be nice if video file created in camera has same properties but I'm guessing no as options are only resolution and frame rates.

Or, anyone know an app where I can read video properties? 

Thanks 

i think the timelapse file is 8 bit 4.2.0

https://mediaarea.net/de/MediaInfo to read file infos