The Panasonic S1 codec upgrade is out now - update to firmware 1.2 and redeam code

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Azagey said:

Very interesting, but isn't the full frame sensor and full V-log slightly negated by the 150mbps? The 400mbps v-log l from GH5s could possibly be as good if not better in post? 

Yeah it takes about 3x amount more mbps on All-I to get the same output from my experiences. So it really is no better. So Andrew is correct. They will be close.

A Leah K. from B&H wrote me this morning informing that, "At this time the free upgrade will be available mid August."

About 2-hours later I received my "DMW-SFU2 Lumix S1 Filmmaker V-Log Upgrade Software" receipt from B&H stating that it's a "New Item - Coming Soon 07/28/19".

I guess I'll just have to wait and see when it actually arrives. :)

11 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Managed to activate my code today. From the first shot I could see the improvement. 10bit 422 V-LOG with V-Gammut has truly punted this thing into PRO CINEMA territory.

Great news. 

Still compelled to learn how this camera really differentiates from the S1H. The 6k mode is rather niche as the major difference. 

• Administrators

They've not quite revealed all yet, but it had the flip screen which YouTubers like, it has the ALL-I codec, apparently does still have IBIS (unlike GH5S), will lose weather sealing due to the vent, and it has full-on anamorphic modes. What more it does, we'll have to wait and see!

2 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Great news. 

Still compelled to learn how this camera really differentiates from the S1H. The 6k mode is rather niche as the major difference. 

Along with the specs Andrew listed, I would think that any bigger cinema features will be for the S1H only and not on future S1 upgrades. Mainly external raw output (or maybe internal raw), All-I, the 6K obviously, full-frame 4K 60fps, and perhaps a few other updates, like 120fps 4K burst. 

From a camera body side, I am still holding out hope for internal NDs. They put those in there with their XLR adapter and all of the nice codecs that will surely be in there, and they'll have something pretty special. 

9 minutes ago, Dan Wake said:

what is it the difference between DC-S1ME-K and DC-S1E-K? thx

I think they're just regional differentiators. For example, my S1, purchased in the USA, is a DC-S1-MP-K. In some cases, Panasonic even likes to change the actual model name region-to-region, like the G80/G85 etc. But yeah. All S1's still. 

4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

They've not quite revealed all yet, but it had the flip screen which YouTubers like, it has the ALL-I codec, apparently does still have IBIS (unlike GH5S), will lose weather sealing due to the vent, and it has full-on anamorphic modes. What more it does, we'll have to wait and see!

The S1H has to have more than that for it to be worth the $6K asking price.

The 150Mbps longGOP in the S1 is more than capable in anything than the most demanding scenes. It holds up quite well, just a beast to edit with. So the 400Mbits isn’t anything incredible special.

Anamorphic is nice but really kinda niche because of that expensive glass. Most projects that would be shot in anamorphic would have the budget for an ARRI or RED or a Varicam.

My money is on internal raw for the S1H otherwise it’s not really a cinema camera. 

47 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

The S1H has to have more than that for it to be worth the $6K asking price.

The 150Mbps longGOP in the S1 is more than capable in anything than the most demanding scenes. It holds up quite well, just a beast to edit with. So the 400Mbits isn’t anything incredible special.

Anamorphic is nice but really kinda niche because of that expensive glass. Most projects that would be shot in anamorphic would have the budget for an ARRI or RED or a Varicam.

My money is on internal raw for the S1H otherwise it’s not really a cinema camera. 

$6K, you can buy a EVA1 for that. I find it hard to believe they could sell it for that much. That is damn near FS7 mk II territory. 4,000 dollars yeah maybe.

4 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

$6K, you can buy a EVA1 for that. I find it hard to believe they could sell it for that much. That is damn near FS7 mk II territory. 4,000 dollars yeah maybe.

Yea they have already stated it will "be around $4k," so it won't be any more than that. I would guess $3800 or $3900. 

It pretty much has to have: 6K (confirmed), All-I (confirmed), external raw (up to 6k) hopefully in BM Raw or ProRes Raw, and maybe even internal raw. And then maybe something special like super low ISO in video V-Log (50-100), internal NDs, and 120fps in 4K. 

We'll see and I'm sure they'll pack it full of features considering the S1 with firmware update is already pushing into $6k - $10k image quality territory. 

4 hours ago, currensheldon said:

Yea they have already stated it will "be around $4k," so it won't be any more than that. I would guess $3800 or $3900. 

It pretty much has to have: 6K (confirmed), All-I (confirmed), external raw (up to 6k) hopefully in BM Raw or ProRes Raw, and maybe even internal raw. And then maybe something special like super low ISO in video V-Log (50-100), internal NDs, and 120fps in 4K. 

We'll see and I'm sure they'll pack it full of features considering the S1 with firmware update is already pushing into $6k - $10k image quality territory. 

I was told at NAB that anybody can do a raw protocol with no legal problems. However RED has a big patent on "compressed" raw. RED tried to nail Sony on compressed raw patent violations but Sony legal fired back at RED on their own Sony pattent violations so RED backed down and let it go.

Atomos officially went to RED and got permission to implement compressed raw with ProResRaw so they are in no danger. However, I was told that BlackMagicRaw is a giant patent question mark at the moment. Nobody knows for sure that BlackMagic wont get sued by RED on this one.

They might be OK...but tbey also might not. Atomos is VERY interested in this issue for more reasons than just that alone. ?

What really puzzles me is how all this intellectual property infringements can happen in such delicate and subjective raw technology is and can happen under the eyes of the law, so many variables there and really random, subject to distinct interpretations. (E : -)

This RED presumption leads (or could lead) to too little in wiser and expert hands.

I wonder what the hell of lawyers BMD or some other players if so have hired...?! LOL

image.png.7c4481c5740b9dbf076b188ed557328b.png

(One of my favorite reviewers,) Gerald Undone posts some of his initial findings with the SFU2 V-Log Upgrade which he picks up at the 5:44 (344s) Mark...

Panasonic S1 AF Firmware & V-Log Tests / Does It Now Beat Sony? - YouTube:

...and it looks like the 10-bit V Log is going to be a welcomed addition (sky gradation retention) for my outdoor nature/wildlife shooting. :) Too bad the 60P 10-bit 4:2:2 can't be recorded internally, it kind of defeats the whole purpose in shooting handheld run-and-gun style while out in the field (literally, ha!). Hopefully the S1H will solve this?!

• 1 month later...