The Panasonic S1 codec upgrade is out now - update to firmware 1.2 and redeam code

Andrew Reid

3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I imagine Sigma were not impressed in the slightest at the stunt Leica pulled with the MC21. I know I wasn't!

Well Im hoping on a new sigma line, a true ART line. Not sure why sigma called it the ART line in the first place, you get almost the opposite of ART images out of them. I wish they will bring out a new line, also sharp wide open maybe less sharp then the sigma ART line now, with the same achromatic abboration, which is pretty good on the ART, the coating of the lens Is also great, but with more interesting bokeh. The current ART line is great for corporate, event stuff and all but I feel the current image is quite bland for narrative stuff. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, omega1978 said:

But how you received it?In italy i don't have find a shop that sell the key... 

I do not have the camera (yet ! I am trying to sell a kidney right now ? ), but I am closely reading about it. From what I understand, the upgrade comes free for every buy until September 30.

You then have to fill in a form, and you later receive a letter. Here is the official page for the promotion + the form : https://offre-lumix-s1.e-odr.fr/fr/?fbclid=IwAR2sz9mtUEs6NWeK1aRt-jzQWyX-WDyHmO8TK1wLf3c8o0_xcjOblspD0Nk

It seems to me that these reatail upgrade boxes should never be "out of stock" anywhere. Its not like Panasonic us unsure of how many boxes to print and package. Currently, this is nothing more than a 1:1 product for every S1 already sold to date. So, if Panasonic has already sold 3500 cameras world wide, they need to print a bare minimum of 3500 upgrade boxes.

If Panasonic knew they sold 5,000 cameras but only printed 3,000 boxes and were sold out...I'd be FURIOUS at Panasonic. 

17 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Yep, bargain grey import indeed - still worth it if you’re not VAT registered. They are legit as I’ve had a few lenses from them. 

Would you still be able to get the free V-log key if it's grey import, would you be able to claim it via UK offer?

• Super Members

I don't have an S1 but out of curiosity I downloaded the v1.2 and v1.1 bin files.

I wasn't particularly surprised that they would be different sizes but hadn't expected the v1.2 file to be 4.5x bigger than v1.1....

Upon, erm, closer inspection, v1.2 contains multiple loaders and post boot references which might suggest that there is more to come in terms of additional functionality via additional license fees.

Let the RAW speculation commence ;)

27 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I don't have an S1 but out of curiosity I downloaded the v1.2 and v1.1 bin files.

I wasn't particularly surprised that they would be different sizes but hadn't expected the v1.2 file to be 4.5x bigger than v1.1....

Upon, erm, closer inspection, v1.2 contains multiple loaders and post boot references which might suggest that there is more to come in terms of additional functionality via additional license fees.

Or more likely, Firmwares are Common Across systems, like how you found that the GX85 had Cinelike profiles hidden within the menu (which wad probably common for the G85). The S1, S1R and S1H probably have similar menus, and the additional functionality and other fee regarding the same, may be a hidden RAW within the S1H somewhere. Panasonic is waiting to pounce on Sony this time. ?

29 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Oh no... I'm really gonna sell an arm, in addition to my already discounted kidney, in order to get a S1 !!

• Super Members
54 minutes ago, sanveer said:

Or more likely, Firmwares are Common Across systems, like how you found that the GX85 had Cinelike profiles hidden within the menu (which wad probably common for the G85). The S1, S1R and S1H probably have similar menus, and the additional functionality and other fee regarding the same, may be a hidden RAW within the S1H somewhere. Panasonic is waiting to pounce on Sony this time. ?

Its a different structure with the S1R but along similar lines and yes the point I was (badly) making was that there is possibly more than one upgrade in this firmware that may become available later.

Of course, the additional loaders and post boot pointers could equally be to activate the bricking of the camera routine when people have attempted to hack dodgy serial numbers in to it ;) 

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, Azagey said:

Very interesting, but isn't the full frame sensor and full V-log slightly negated by the 150mbps? The 400mbps v-log l from GH5s could possibly be as good if not better in post? 

The GH5S 400Mbit is ALL-I, and you need that higher bitrate to maintain the quality in ALL-I, with each frame needing to be compressed independently.

150Mbit V-LOG (with V-Gamut colour science from Cinema Varicam) is Long GOP so you do not need 400Mbit. The compression method is more efficient, so you can use lower data rates.

Will be interesting to compare them nevertheless.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Wonder if they merged the S1 and S1H firmware?

If it now powers both cameras that would explain the big size!

• Super Members
3 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Wonder if they merged the S1 and S1H firmware?

If it now powers both cameras that would explain the big size!

It could well be this, as @sanveer suggested too.

I'm currently running a compare on it.

Mind you, if its for 3 cameras, then why would it be 4.5x bigger.....Lets start a "Panasonic About To Launch APS-C Camera" rumour instead :) 

• Super Members
12 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Maybe they merged some of the Varicam firmware into it?

Or maybe it just has a really big library or 3rd party tool inside?!

I'm hoping its an embedded video of Rick Astley that triggers when you select RAW in the video menu. There is certainly enough space for it in there !