OEM CPU overclocking support equivalent in the photography market

JurijTurnsek

CPU OEMs have established official support for the overclocking community and have made potential risks well known and the community has benefited from it. Normal users don't feel the need to burn their CPUs without knowledge and the enthusiasts have more tools available for them.

Now, that the photo market is in a serious decline, shouldn't at least some manufacturers offer to "unlock" (for a fee and a strict EULA) experimental bitrates, framerates, recording times with instructions on how to keep a camera cool? If you are a professional and are willing to rig these small, powerful cameras to an (approved) heat dissipation unit, shouldn't you be able to do so? If it were possible to create short bursts of RAW video with no AF or something similar, shouldn't a tech-savvy user be allowed to experiment with it?

Concerning ML on Canon, an official endorsement is a stretch, but when looking at Sony, which already delivers some very limited recording options like their 960fps recording, I can see some potential. However, Sony has to protect their FS line.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah but the first time someone "Bricks" their camera and sues the heck out of them for doing it, or it does overheat after 6 hours continues recording of a festival and shuts down, well I can see why they don't do it. Suicide on their part.

46 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah but the first time someone "Bricks" their camera and sues the heck out of them for doing it, or it does overheat after 6 hours continues recording of a festival and shuts down, well I can see why they don't do it. Suicide on their part.

Yes, hence a fee and a strict EULA. You agree with it, you live with the consequences. Just like it is now.

Ahh even still they will try to sue you. The rules for everything have changed in this day and age. You can't trust anyone anymore. It is all about the money. The whole world has went crazy. I feel sorry for younger people that have missed having trust in everyone. Being able to leave your house unlocked, keys in your car, could pick up hitchhikers, a handshake was as good as a contract, on and on. I am sure some places in the world you can still do that, but it is fast disappearing.

15 hours ago, JurijTurnsek said:

CPU OEMs have established official support for the overclocking community and have made potential risks well known and the community has benefited from it. Normal users don't feel the need to burn their CPUs without knowledge and the enthusiasts have more tools available for them.

Now, that the photo market is in a serious decline, shouldn't at least some manufacturers offer to "unlock" (for a fee and a strict EULA) experimental bitrates, framerates, recording times with instructions on how to keep a camera cool? If you are a professional and are willing to rig these small, powerful cameras to an (approved) heat dissipation unit, shouldn't you be able to do so? If it were possible to create short bursts of RAW video with no AF or something similar, shouldn't a tech-savvy user be allowed to experiment with it?

Concerning ML on Canon, an official endorsement is a stretch, but when looking at Sony, which already delivers some very limited recording options like their 960fps recording, I can see some potential. However, Sony has to protect their FS line.

i am reminded of a quote ... a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

if it were safe easy and cheap  not to mention lightweight and practical i think cameras would already have water cooling. Some people already put peltiers on their cameras for astro photographgy and kudos to them for doing it. however companies put electronics and motors inside metal and plastic boxes for a couple of good reasons

1. they tend to work longer when protected from the elements.

2 it stops people from sticking their fingers in there. When you do stick your fingers in there it usually proves detrimental to both  human and machine, camera, or whatever

3  who decides what is safe to experiment on and what is not safe. Hospitals are already full of people who have had accidents, even professionals come unstuck at times and you want anyone who can watch youtube to play with water, drills and electricity ?  sir i commend you, out standing line of thought, if your into population control ?

by the way i have magic lantern installed on my canon and its fantastic for what it does. is it for every mom and dad ? probably not. While we are talking about ml and canon. If those two did join forces together, canons whole product line could probably be reduced to three cameras, the competition would be slaughtered and canon would rule the world, would canon make more money as opposed to splitting cameras and crippling said cameras into a hundred different segments probably not

Would i  play with 12 volts and Arduino's ?  hell yes. Would i pull a camera flash apart or play with mains line voltage?  HELL NO i genuinely like living ?

One problem is that computers don't go through the same punishment as cameras. An overclocker can test their aftermarket cooling and know that if it works in a benchmark on their desk, it will work indefinitely. A camera needs to work in a benchmark, in the rain, 8 hours in direct sunlight, or on top of a mountain after jostling around for a 5 hour climb.

Compounding that, the people overclocking computers are computer geeks. If you are out there buying individual parts for a custom computer build, you can probably be trusted with overclocking capabilities since you necessarily know a little bit about how the components work. On the other hand, the guy who knows enough about photography to want to push their camera to the limit doesn't necessarily have any knowledge of the computer components inside the camera. The people who could be trusted to overclock a camera are still the computer geeks, not the photographers (though there is a small segment of the market that is both).