RED Mini-Mag Exposed

BTM_Pix

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

I've never seriously looked at getting a RED camera, so color me shocked to see they were charging $2,500 for an SSD. 

Even if I had the budget I'd never shoot on that, out of principle. 

And that is the cheap items they sell lol. Someone could give you the body and you couldn't afford to buy the rest of the parts needed. Arri is even worse if that is possible..

14 hours ago, Snowfun said:

I posted the video on the RED Hydrogen forum - didn’t last long before it got removed!

So I reposted it...

I think an equivalent yet opposite example is BM requiring users to use specific SSDs (etc.) to avoid dropping frames - but not selling them at inflated prices. 

• Super Members

3 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

So I reposted it...

I think an equivalent yet opposite example is BM requiring users to use specific SSDs (etc.) to avoid dropping frames - but not selling them at inflated prices. 

Looking through the post, the story seems to have moved on as someone has unearthed a possibly related thread on a hard drive forum from three years ago with some requesting information regarding how to dump firmware from drives and clone it onto another one....

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?177083-Jinnitech-back-at-it-again/page12

On 7/7/2019 at 12:51 AM, BTM_Pix said:

As far as I remember, the 8 gig Lexar 300x CF card is compatible so can be picked up off eBay in multiples to kind of mitigate it.

Only one very specific model, and an 8gig card.... is bad enough using 16gig cards with the R1! 

One way round it is to get one with the SSD Side Module

As my previous post was saying:
They're rare. 
And thus have a high inflated cost. 
(for something that is so very old!)

Life would be easy for any prospective/current owner/user of RED ONEs if RED simply allowed any CF card to be used in their discontinued RED ONE.

What cost would there be to RED?? (other than a bit of programming time)

NONE! Am sure this would not be stealing away any sales from their current line up of RED cameras. 

And in return it would bring a lot of good will and renewed faith in the company. 

Plus bring in more young / new / aspiring / emerging filmmakers to join the RED ecosystem with their "new" RED ONE, who will one day move on up and buy RED's latest cameras.

By the way, someone had some joy with a 16gig version of a Lexar car and, well, here is his story on Reduser about what happened when he tried to share the love !

810318314_ScreenShot2019-07-06at14_28_11.thumb.png.d96a8b34569c71f3801e0f4a1fece648.png

I'm not surprised!!

Didn't RED do that to the 8gig Lexar cards as well?

23 hours ago, thephoenix said:

could be a 5' video if the guy would stop repeating the same quote 10 times

Yes, the video was longer than it absolutely needed to be, but I feel the way he did made the video much more entertaining! I think it was great. Wouldn't change it. 

22 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

He doesn't deserve it?

RED have accused him of all sorts in a court case that had been running for nearly 3 years that has now been dismissed.

A company owned by a multi-billionaire trying to bully a tiny operation out of business based on absolutely bogus claims and he's had to keep his mouth shut about it?

I think he deserves to be able to make it into a 5 part mini-series after all that.

Not to mention be bought a drink by everyone who will benefit from what he has laid out there.

Heck, he can make it into a twelve episode show that runs for five season if he wishes! 

I'm sure there is enough drama and intrigue there to fill it up. 

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?177083-Jinnitech-back-at-it-again&p=1860251&viewfull=1#post1860251

if you're camera has non-RED approved 3rd party accessory in there, specifically an electronically interfacing one, you SOL if something goes screwy. And this can be seen in the logs fyi.

I feel like I've seen this "threat" from Jarred, too. Correct me if I'm reading too far into this, but I feel like the implication here is that RED could issue a firmware later that would brick (or otherwise render your camera inoperable) if you used third-party media. 

Also, in terms of "RED Approved" third-party accessories, I couldn't help but notice that the Tilta expander I own (and was RED approved at the time of purchase) is no longer listed on their approved page. So, is it no longer approved? Did something change? Was it not adequately tested when it received it's stamp of approval? And if so, am I to trust future stamps of approval?

Honestly, RED's "approval" of third-party equipment has been flaky at best. Whenever someone has had an issue with an "approved" accessory, I've seen the choir sing "shouldn't have used third-party equipment!!"--doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of RED's stamp of approval?

It does indeed feel like a threat from the RED Team to scare people into toeing the line!

Josh makes another good comment with:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?177083-Jinnitech-back-at-it-again&p=1860336&viewfull=1#post1860336
The "live dangerous" idea is what kind of rubs me the wrong way... when the internals are literally identical off-the-shelf parts, it feels a bit like a mafia shakedown "well, it'd be awful if your fine establishment here were to, uh, catch on fire..."

And as far as "choice", it's not like RED welcomed third-parties but simply said "we can't warranty the Mini Mag reader on your camera if you use these, just FYI". That's not what was said, we were told lies about the drives. I think this situation would be VERY different if from the get-go we knew the facts: they aren't highly specialized, custom, special firmware, millions in R&D media drives. RED is actually providing value in that they drives pass through them and they make sure the adapters and pieces are made correctly and fit correctly. That is real value. That justifies a markup. That's NOT what is being discussed here. What is being discussed are these more questionable (fraudulent?) claims about the drives.

• Super Members
30 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Only one very specific model, and an 8gig card.... is bad enough using 16gig cards with the R1! 

The upside of the Lexar is the availability as the RED ones are rarer but price wise they are inline as the Lexar is half the price for half the capacity at usual used prices.

But, yeah, 4 minutes :)

I don't know why they wouldn't open it up to 3rd party cards and ditto letting people put SSDs in the original external drives.

So many people upgraded into the DSMC programme that they would/have been still making money off the newer media types.

Josh again (man is he going into the RED bad books permanently forever!):

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?177083-Jinnitech-back-at-it-again&p=1860408&viewfull=1#post1860408

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?147759-Cheap-third-party-Red-MiniMag-replacement-JinniMag

Man, looking at the old thread again, it’s amazing how many people who are now claiming to “wait until they have all the info” were immediately calling Jinni a scam (like a literal scam, not just “questionable”) and jumped to all sorts of conclusions about the Mini Mag’s connector, firmware, etc all being “probably” patented.

And I agree with Misha:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?177083-Jinnitech-back-at-it-again&p=1860440&viewfull=1#post1860440

Red is asking a relatively high price for their Mini-Mag's, I have no problem with that.
Red's claims about their Mini-Mag's turn out to be "creative with the truth" (as we have all seen), I have a minor problem with that (we just rent a Helium or 2 every now and then).

The Cine-Press has been deafening silence sofar (with the exception of Slashcam), this is a big problem and basically means that we have no independent Cine-Press and that they all rely on sponsored content.

Except I'd describe both "relatively high price" and "creative with the truth" as being very generous to RED!

But the main point I want to highlight is: the deafining silence from the mainstream "Cine-Press". Aside from this:
https://www.slashcam.com/news/single/A-very-critical-look-at-the-RED-MINI-Mags-15203.html

It does indeed make you extra worried that we have no truly independent Cine-Press! :-/ ?
(EOSHD isn't covering this in the blog btw, but I'm sure Andrew is keen to? But he mentioned earlier in this thread that he couldn't? Past legal threats from RED???)

5 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

But, yeah, 4 minutes :)

It is crazy, so many takes on set are going to be longer than that!

Heck even with 16gig cards I frequently came across the problem with a RED ONE on set of it not being able to handle same of the longer takes. 

Just a royal royal pain in the backside. 

On a totally (not) unrelated topic, this thread is worth a read:

https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=34017

11 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

It might changed the story considerably.

Not really, even the best case outcome here is still a bad look for RED. 
And the current new reduser thread about Jinnitech isn't making it any better!

• Super Members
5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Not really, even the best case outcome here is still a bad look for RED. 
And the current new reduser thread about Jinnitech isn't making it any better!

I would suspect it could impact some aspects of the suit by Jinnitech against RED that include accusations from RED of IP theft if it is proven that those posts requesting help in extractinf and duplicating firmware were actually from Jinnitech and were related to the MiniMags.

But yes, the other stuff about capacity, country of origin, pricing etc will still stand though.

I shall go and have a nose at the new thread ;)

19 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I would suspect it could impact some aspects of the suit by Jinnitech against RED that include accusations from RED of IP theft if it is proven that those posts requesting help in extractinf and duplicating firmware were actually from Jinnitech and were related to the MiniMags.

You still believe RED has "their own custom firmware" on the SSDs?? Vs just having flipped a few bits here or there to keep out "unauthorized" SSDs.

• Super Members
Just now, IronFilm said:

You still believe RED has "their own custom firmware" on the SSDs?? Vs just having flipped a few bits here or there to keep out "unauthorized" SSDs.

Absolutely not.

As I said in the very first post in this thread, I never thought that RED were producing their own media so I'm surprised this has taken this long to be laid bare in this way.

My point is that it is the evidence from those posts on the other forum of the attempted procurement of resources to extract and duplicate the firmware from the drive that will have a potential impact on the case Jinnitech have brought against RED.

As I said earlier, I am watching this whole thing with interest because I don't think this is going to stop with the MiniMags and the spotlight will be turned in the same way onto the original 1.8 Mags.

My sense of indignation will then be turned up from a solid 8 to a hard 11 when it involves something that I have personally been ripped of for and with any luck it will then move on to the RedDrives for the RED ONE as I can climb on that particular bandwagon as well.

14 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

My sense of indignation will then be turned up from a solid 8 to a hard 11 when it involves something that I have personally been ripped of for and with any luck it will then move on to the RedDrives for the RED ONE as I can climb on that particular bandwagon as well.

Then it can move up to a high lvl13 indignation when the CF cards get unlocked? (fingers crossed!)