What is so special about an iscorama??

bluesdrummer715

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I cant tell exactly what you have unless you show the front, someone else here probably can. My guess is a Nikon mount as it looks a little different to mine.

Iscoramas are special in that as far non cine anamorphics go, they are probably the best balance of function, features and quality of optics.

Congrats on acquiring one. They are quite rare.

You don't want to know the price from a decade ago, or even 3 years ago, it will make you weep :)

It does. Those (rare) 'I've found an isco in a barn sale' and 'my friend gave me this for pennies' posts make me go nuts. The chance of winning the lottery is probably bigger :(

Im probably not 100% sure but I have that lens as well but my taking lens that comes with it is in M42 pentax mount not Fmout which is what you have and what i wish I had lol.

The lens is from around 1968 and most likely single coated which makes it a desirable lens to have for sure. Great find, i dont want to know what you paid or it would probably make me upset knowing it compared to what I paid as well.

it is worth good money if in great optical and physical condition.

if you are un sure about condition get a service from bernie o at 16.9 it will keep the value high as he is a motion picture camera and lens service tech.

that looks like it is from late 60s early 70s nice vintage something this old should have the a helicoid clean and regrease and alignment check.

the iscorama 54 was 1400 german dm in the late 80s used mainly by super 8 shooters the cameras cost 200-300 so that gives you an idea of it's high cost.the best camera at the time was the leicina special at 500 dm so big bucks for a lens only used sometimes.

the advantage of iscorama is the original 1958 design covered 35mm format as it was design for stills cameras so edge to edge performance is simply superb for the time even today stick that on the movie camera that shot the last bond movie and it will out resolve the sensor.

do not take it apart or mess with it to much a lot of iscorama have issues. do not give it to a mate or a local repair guy that would be lunatic.

the smaller and more advanced movie cameras get the more this type of lens will be sort after.

Well got a reply from an Optical Engineer from Pasadena, CA. and here is his reply

I have a call into Schneider (they own Isco now) to see what the serial number designates. Have you shot or seen one of these? The first time I held one I said what a rip, it's' all plastic. But then I shot with it and wow! There is nothing like them. I am an optical engineer and around all sorts of lens everyday - cooke's, angenieux, zeiss, etc, and nothing shoots like them. I believe the lens is from the late 60's this is the original Iscorama. No multicoating and it flares beautifully. As for a selling price? I'd say any where from $2500 to possibly $5000 and as with everything condition is everything. The pics you sent, were very good, and the lens looks in Excellent condition!

The reply you got, from the Optical Engineer, was absolutely correct & if you're thinking of selling it then those are the prices you should be expecting.

A non-MC Iscorama in good condition is like gold dust - you could basically name your price & you'd get someone buying it.

As no one has really answered your initial question, this is what the lens does: an Iscorama shoots anamorphic pictures/video - think widescreen images, like at the cinema.