ENTRY VIDEOS: Find the best video quality for under $200 - fun EOSHD Challenge

Andrew Reid

Right folks, I have been a follower of the blog for a number of years but only just became a forum member to take part in this challenge. When I seen the blog post i was pretty interested but then became busy with work. 

Im now keen to enter and looks like I have three days to find a camera, shoot then edit and upload the video. 

I know Andrew wasn't keen on enforcing too many rules since this is a bit of fun but I just wanted to know what the consensus would be on using Speedboosters? This would not necessarily be used to improve the low light abilities of my chosen camera body but more for an adapter. I have a £20 lens I already own which I know to work quite well when paired up with a Speedbooster - I'm also willing to make my chosen camera less than £100 if it fits better with the spirit of the competition. Let me know! Otherwise I will try source a dumb adapter in time!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 7/15/2019 at 12:20 AM, mrjim said:

Well, I haven't posted on EOSHD for ages, but when I saw this competition I thought that sounds fun. I dropped by on Bexhill-on-Sea on the South Coast yesterday on my way to somewhere else, and shot this footage over an hour or two.  No grading, straight out of camera. Manual settings (although fairly limited choice that's all I'll say). Edited on my laptop this evening. I bought the used camera on ebay for £133. I'm not sure if this is the sort of thing you're looking for Andrew.  As long as I don't come last.

Totally worth it!

5 hours ago, Framed_By_Dan said:

Right folks, I have been a follower of the blog for a number of years but only just became a forum member to take part in this challenge. When I seen the blog post i was pretty interested but then became busy with work. 

Im now keen to enter and looks like I have three days to find a camera, shoot then edit and upload the video. 

I know Andrew wasn't keen on enforcing too many rules since this is a bit of fun but I just wanted to know what the consensus would be on using Speedboosters? This would not necessarily be used to improve the low light abilities of my chosen camera body but more for an adapter. I have a £20 lens I already own which I know to work quite well when paired up with a Speedbooster - I'm also willing to make my chosen camera less than £100 if it fits better with the spirit of the competition. Let me know! Otherwise I will try source a dumb adapter in time!

Nice to meet you, Dan!

You're free to use a speedbooster, just remember to include it in your total calculations.

Can't wait to see your video!

12 hours ago, Framed_By_Dan said:

Welcome..  

come-on-in-the-waters-fine-well-it-was-t

looking good everyone.

I just realised I had the wrong end date (thought it was the 26th) and planned to shoot with my fiancée on Wednesday afternoon (only day we have time since we both work shifts). Maybe if I skip dinner and sit in front of my computer all evening I might be able to post in time on one of the cameras ?

14 hours ago, Michi said:

I'm not one of the heavy-duty contributors here but thought this was an inspiring idea and blew the dust off my very first self bought camera. Happy to see it still works and my muscle-memory was back within five minutes of handling that good old boy. 

Excellent short piece! Simple, effective, and shows skill.

55 minutes ago, kye said:

Very nice!! and a great idea too :)

36 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

Excellent short piece! Simple, effective, and shows skill.

Thank you both! The sun shined into the room perfectly to create this high contrast scene without any additional lights (just a small reflector next to the camera to lift the blacks a little bit).    

37 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I can't wait to see what this camera is :)

Me too. I like the washed out colors, looks almost like 8mm film. Very cool!

56 minutes ago, homestar_kevin said:

Had a lot of fun putting this together and am ready for more challenges/different stipulations or price brackets hahaha

Or just round 2 of this same challenge

Nice work!

I'm also ready for round two..  this was fun, and I still have an outstanding experiment I wanted to try ???

I was originally planing to shoot a short "music video" for one of my vocal cover. However, an event very bad happened to my city and the region I live so I didn't have the opportunity to do a proper video.

Luckily I have brought the camera with me on a half-day trip to Hong Kong Disneyland. I was filming my girlfriend, as usual, and her good friend. I wasn't planing to use these footage for the challenge, so... hopefully I wouldn't get the last place because I really like this new camera! 

Anyway, this is a very fun competition indeed. Would love to take part again! 

• Administrators

Huge congrats to the entries so far.

As there are still a lot of people who haven't submitted theirs yet and deadline is very close, I might extend it for a bit longer. What do you guys think?

24th original end-date is this Wednesday!

3 hours ago, aaa123jc said:

I was originally planing to shoot a short "music video" for one of my vocal cover. However, an event very bad happened to my city and the region I live so I didn't have the opportunity to do a proper video.

Indeed! I saw what has been happening in HK. STAY SAFE and prosper... You have all of our support for your gem of a city. I have been to Hong Kong before and found it really inspired me creatively, I loved its independent spirit. You made something good out of the dark weekend regardless :) The colours and dynamic range came out incredibly well. Is it a 4K cam or just 1080?

3 hours ago, theraywong said:

Is the end of submissions the end of tomorrow (24th July) GMT, i.e. 11:59pm?

Yes it is, unless we extend it for a couple of days...

Let's discuss it, and I'll consider any requests from people who did buy a camera, but are late shooting or editing.