ENTRY VIDEOS: Find the best video quality for under $200 - fun EOSHD Challenge

Andrew Reid

• Super Members
15 minutes ago, KnightsFan said:

...which is a great way of discouraging anyone looking to actually build their skills. Not sure I like that idea. Without it i would make a serious foray into "best" video under $200. 

I think it would be a neat addition to make whoever wins the contest to have to make an additonal entry in the next one using the camera that they got from the last placed person this time round.

15 minutes ago, KnightsFan said:

As it stands, lets just say I have @BTM_Pix beat on price. We'll see who wins on epoxying ?

I did lower the bar a bit this morning.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Andrew, I think if you don’t limit this to digital, tons of people are just gonna buy a 16mm camera and spend 500 dollars on film. And that kinda defies the indie spirit of this forum. And plus it’s too easy to get good footage out of 16mm film, It will not actually test the filmmakers’s ability to shoot and color grade.

13 minutes ago, jack jin said:

Andrew, I think if you don’t limit this to digital, tons of people are just gonna buy a 16mm camera and spend 500 dollars on film. And that kinda defies the indie spirit of this forum. And plus it’s too easy to get good footage out of 16mm film, It will not actually test the filmmakers’s ability to shoot and color grade.

They must really want someone’s Fisher Price camcorder than. 

1 hour ago, jack jin said:

Is it even possible to get the film developed and digitized that fast? Don't think many people will go that route...

1 hour ago, Video Hummus said:

They must really want someone’s Fisher Price camcorder than. 

?

• Administrators

No let's keep things simple.

Rules in blog post are final and not subject to change.

If somebody wants to shoot film (or tape!!) they can do but the film stocks and processing I'd consider part of the $200.

Looking forward to seeing the first videos pop up in this thread.

1 hour ago, Miguel De Olaso Macgregor said:

Ebay here I come!!!!

I have a feeling there will be a lot of GH2s because I've found a lot at around $200 some even lower. Sadly, I just bought an expensive telephoto and I'm saving for the new 10-25. I already gave my $35 yard sale Canon Rebel T3 to my niece.

7 hours ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

Is it even possible to get the film developed and digitized that fast? Don't think many people will go that route...

?

If anyone happens to have B&W film in their freezer and the chemicals to develop it, it wouldn't be that hard.  Someone like that may also have an old camera that would be suitable.  All they'd have to do is go to ebay, find something with Buy It Now for less than $200 and a screen capture later and they're off!

6 hours ago, kye said:

If someone manages to get a BM camera that shoots RAW then they'd have to really stuff things up to not be the winner..  even if someone else manages to get 4K!

Would be kind against the spirit of this contest (same reason ML raw is not allowed). Then one could also use an external ninja recorder with other camera's. I think the contest is to just use internal h264/etc of the camera.

31 minutes ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

Would be kind against the spirit of this contest (same reason ML raw is not allowed). Then one could also use an external ninja recorder with other camera's. I think the contest is to just use internal h264/etc of the camera.

+1

On 7/3/2019 at 4:37 PM, Andrew Reid said:

Ah yes I forgot we discussed this, it's true... No ML RAW allowed

However, Magic Lantern RAW is not allowed due to being too good! (must be a unmodified camera stock video mode)

I get that ML Raw would be too good, how about the Ptool hacks for the panasonic cameras? As they technically fails the "unmodified stock video mode" rule.

If the ptool stuff is allowed, surely using ML just for the bitrate mod as long as you're not shooting raw should be allowed aswell?

I didn't mean to complicate things ?