ENTRY VIDEOS: Find the best video quality for under $200 - fun EOSHD Challenge

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

eoshd-dog-schidt-optiks-ff58-pl.jpg

Today marks the start of a cinematography competition on EOSHD. This is a fun shooting challenge combined with a treasure hunt for underrated camera gems. The aim is simple enough... To find the most cinematic camera under $200 and to make it look as good as possible.

Can you do it?!

Please read the competition instructions, rules and blog post here

GET SHOOTING!!

The Timeline

• 3rd July 2019: competition opens.
  • 3rd-24th July: three weeks to find the cheap camera and shoot your video, and entrants submit their videos on the EOSHD Forum thread to the competition.
  • 24th July: Public voting begins in the poll to choose the favourite video (and the unlucky last place!)
  • 28th July: Voting closes and the result is officially announced, then we all reveal which cheap cameras we used.
  • 30th July: My EOSHD judge/jury prize awarded to favourite video of all entries.

PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL YOUR CAMERA YET!!

JUST POST YOUR ENTRY (YOUTUBE OR VIMEO)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
54 minutes ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

Not in the rules, but I guess no ML RAW allowed as was discussed in previous topic (as you can find a 50D or EOS M for under $200).

Why not? To my book, even Redmi Note 7 might apply, along camera2api brings a very capable 200Mbps video acquisition tool, extra competition at least.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

Not in the rules, but I guess no ML RAW allowed as was discussed in previous topic (as you can find a 50D or EOS M for under $200).

Ah yes I forgot we discussed this, it's true... No ML RAW allowed, it would dominate too much. Rules in main blog post updated.

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

No ML RAW allowed, it would dominate too much.

Seems there's a declared win-win already over there before this competition to have even started, yet... LOL ; ) Simply hilarious. ML RAW has no competitors, really. Hands down. A shame to every single manufacturer out there, Canon included! : -)

Andrew

I have an LX100, which I was preparing to sell (since I got the LX100 II).  I am looking up prices on eBay (filtering out stores) for comparison sake, and I am getting anywhere from $160 to $325.  Would I be qualified to participate?

Thanks

-Basil

• Administrators
47 minutes ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

I'm in! Just bought an expensive lens with free body included (or was it the other way around?) Now waiting for UPS to f*ck up delivery as usual.

As long as the body currently sells for under $200 by itself, if you bought this lens, then you can use the body.

No expensive lenses in the competition please!

13 minutes ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

Good question. I think it would be more fair if it wasn't allowed. Just straight from camera using build-in picture profiles. We'll see what Andrew says.

Colour grading is allowed.

Unless there is a big push back against it.

I think with a cheap camera, you're probably not going to get far before the codec falls apart anyway ;)

36 minutes ago, Basil said:

Andrew

I have an LX100, which I was preparing to sell (since I got the LX100 II).  I am looking up prices on eBay (filtering out stores) for comparison sake, and I am getting anywhere from $160 to $325.  Would I be qualified to participate?

Thanks

-Basil

$160 seems incredibly cheap to me, check if they are faulty units or very very used condition.

Maybe we should go off an average price like $250.

LX100 a bit too rich for the spirit of the competition.

Remember it's not just about the rules but the spirit of the rules as well! You will risk getting downvoted if you push your luck on price and go too high spec.

Isn't it better to make something a bit cheaper look really cool?

Be more like @BTM_Pix with his 50 quid wonder ;)

As far as the judge's prize goes... If you are maxing out the $200, shooting 4K and using an F0.95 lens on it, your cinematography is going to have to be Roger Deakins level to win it ?

17 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

As long as the body currently sells for under $200 by itself, if you bought this lens, then you can use the body.

No expensive lenses in the competition please!

No problem, lens and body together was below €200. Just needed the lens, so kind of got the body for free with it ;)