How about a good old Camera Blind Test?

Mattias Burling

• Super Members

This is a blind test comparing videos from a couple of different cameras, lenses and filters.
I have not tried to match the images since that would take away the point of the test. Im looking at quick turnaround, color science as well as the effect different types of lenses and filters have on the final image.

As you can see the light changed quite a bit between shots but it doesn't matter.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
1 hour ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I like C, D, and F

I didn't realize you were the dude that runs that channel. You got a killer voice my man

You don't realise the guy called Mattias Burling ran the Mattias Burling YouTube Channel? :)

2 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

This is a blind test comparing videos from a couple of different cameras, lenses and filters.
I have not tried to match the images since that would take away the point of the test. Im looking at quick turnaround, color science as well as the effect different types of lenses and filters have on the final image.

As you can see the light changed quite a bit between shots but it doesn't matter.

I love stuff like this.

For me it's B and E that stand out. Was the light different though? It seems on some of the lake shots the sun is behind a cloud.

Is the colour difference between A and H on the lake shot really so different, especially on the boat? They are miles apart, one is almost black and white!!

• Super Members
5 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

You don't realise the guy called Mattias Burling ran the Mattias Burling YouTube Channel? :)

I love stuff like this.

For me it's B and E that stand out. Was the light different though? It seems on some of the lake shots the sun is behind a cloud.

Is the colour difference between A and H on the lake shot really so different, especially on the boat? They are miles apart, one is almost black and white!!

The sun kept going in and out of the cloud which affected the strength of the ND, which can really mess up colors in my experience. Not to mention IR.

From some other display to prove that really counts the way your footage is perceived, B & I take better position and clearly E for the river part as personal taste rather than in my previous impression. K stands a way more solid as close-up than wide shot for sure, let alone not only but color wise. I'll try later projected in a 100" screen from 4K projector to couple to same YT resolution source once it is available.

F is the most balanced between the two images in terms of giving you a good look straight out of camera. For me, skin tones are the most important so I would have chucked someone's face in there as well - might have helped those of us on the fence. But yes F is the most pleasing to me because it is able to retain the classical softness of film while not being as faded or garish as some of the others.  

I think I liked E, I and K the best.  But the colors out of E were probably my favorite of those three.  

Some of the others had nice colors as well, but were soft or had aliasing in them.  Maybe I missed another good one, it was a lot of cameras.  ?

Fun test!

C, E, and I for me.  About a third of them looked awful, and lots of the rest looked good in one location or in one way but bad in the other location or in other ways.

Realistically the colour can be changed in post and colour differences between cameras can be equalised relatively easily if you're good with some basic controls.

Good test!  I'm keen to see the results :)